2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Is there a recommended way to jump start another vehicle in terms of the order in which to connect things up and start them etc?

I recently used my car to help a friend, after starting it he told me that he has broken 2 cars electrics by jump starting :s

His car is now charged up and working, mine (2.0 type-r gt '07) appears to be ok and no problems, I did apply some logic to the process but for next time, is there a recommended way so I don't nerf the electrics whilst doing my good deed for the day?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, and just to point out, I did read the thread about taking the key out when connecting the battery but if anyone can link me some step by step instructions that would be great. Apparently I'm now old and you can't just connect the batteries without frying the ECU or immobilizer, horn etc... - it might seem to be the most basic of basic tasks but I'd like to hear it from those in the know :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really, no one? Also is there a preferred way of charging it with a trickle charger?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Really, no one? Also is there a preferred way of charging it with a trickle charger ? Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
It's not a problem - leave the "Donor" car's engine running (so the key will be in the ignition) - connect the [-] poles first, then the [+] poles - the "Receiving" car should not have the key in the ignition (all power off), while this happens ...

Rev the Donor car for a couple of minutes, and then start the Receiving car up - no worries ...

Trickle charging ? - also no problem - connect the [-] pole first and then the [+] pole - then power up the trickle charger ! ...

I've done all of this, so I know what I'm talking about :cool: ...

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
It's not a problem - leave the "Donor" car's engine running (so the key will be in the ignition) - connect the [-] poles first, then the [+] poles - the "Receiving" car should not have the key in the ignition (all power off), while this happens ...

Rev the Donor car for a couple of minutes, and then start the Receiving car up - no worries ...

Trickle charging ? - also no problem - connect the [-] pole first and then the [+] pole - then power up the trickle charger ! ...

I've done all of this, so I know what I'm talking about :cool: ...
+1 Although pole orders are relatively unimportant.., the only reason they say connect (- neg) first is to avoid having a live wire hanging around (or on the battery) without it being earthed.

But yes the "correct" or the advised prodecdure is as JDR stated... same with trickle charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im an HGV Mechanic and when jump starting anything (so as to avoid spikes from variable amp alternators damaginG ECU'S) I ALWAYS turn on Sidelights, headlights, main beam, heater motors. This way any spikes travel through the components which are switched on instead of the ECUS. In modern cars however the heater motors and lights may be controlled by canbus from the ecus, still does no harm to practice this method though. I don't like jumpstarting other cars with mine.

I have seen trucks need several thousand pounds worth of ECU's fitted due to bad jump starts.

Jump packs are not failsafe either in my humble opinion. Very best way is to remove leads and charge it up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey great info thanks guys, just what i was after!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Don't jump start too often, or you'll shag your alternator.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Isn't there one important thing left to better be mentioned?

On the recieving car, the negative wire must not be connected to the battery pole itself.
It should always be connected to some blank spot on the engine to avoid damaging the electronics of the recieving car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts