2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now one of many who since having had a diesel engine remap, found the standard clutch inadequate, so have now had an uprated clutch fitted.
Happy days - no slip now ...

Thing is, with the stronger pressure plate, there's a higher pedal load ....

Bearing in mind that the clutch actuation is hydraulic, how much extra force can this standard hydraulic system take before it starts becoming unreliable?

Al.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
I'm now one of many who since having had a diesel engine remap, found the standard clutch inadequate, so have now had an uprated clutch fitted.
Happy days - no slip now ...

Thing is, with the stronger pressure plate, there's a higher pedal load ....

Bearing in mind that the clutch actuation is hydraulic, how much extra force can this standard hydraulic system take before it starts becoming unreliable?

Al.
If it breaks, it's inadequate ;)

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SMF? - YES - Vibration? No more than normal, probably less. I was thinking yesterday on the motorway that it was actually smoother. My old friction plate was part-worn, but not bad, my DMF was showing serious signs of movement!

If it breaks, it's inadequate - true.
I know its a bit of thinking after the horse has bolted.
If there's a market / need for stronger clutches, and if they're heavier - potentially too heavy - for some, then there's potentially another market there - uprate the servo system.
Reasons are 2-fold:
1. Upgraded pressure plate putting more hydraulic loading on the cylinders and tubing / piping than their original design - can they take this?
2. An increase in servo assistance could genuinely return the pedal pressure required to 'original' - to really give the 'win, win'.

Al.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
The clutch doesn't have a servo mate. You could fit a bigger MC though. Another thing you want to consider, is your gearbox going to cope with the extra vibrations??????

I think your pondering on it too much. Just drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
SMF? - YES - Vibration? No more than normal, probably less. I was thinking yesterday on the motorway that it was actually smoother. My old friction plate was part-worn, but not bad, my DMF was showing serious signs of movement!

If it breaks, it's inadequate - true.
I know its a bit of thinking after the horse has bolted.
If there's a market / need for stronger clutches, and if they're heavier - potentially too heavy - for some, then there's potentially another market there - uprate the servo system.
Reasons are 2-fold:
1. Upgraded pressure plate putting more hydraulic loading on the cylinders and tubing / piping than their original design - can they take this?
2. An increase in servo assistance could genuinely return the pedal pressure required to 'original' - to really give the 'win, win'.

Al.
Thanks Al for letting me know, clutch on mine is bad, needs to pump the clutch 20-40 every now and then, but I could'nt decide which one will I go.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, and the clarification.
I used 'servo' loosely as in transferring / magnifying power - which it needs to. I've read that there are several options that have appeared from time to time, but Google search doesn't give anything - should mean as indicated - 2 years upgraded and no problems.

Thinking cap removed - for now.

Al.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts