2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a wonderful two weeks in Canada and I had left the Civic in "secure" storage at Manchester. Got sorted with the keys etc in the office and went to get my car. Some bas***d has hit it or reversed it into something and they hoped I wouldn't notice. Passenger side rear bumper is scratched and bent in along with the rear wheel arch trim. Careless muppets :mad:

What a way to end your holidays :(

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
You're right, what a downer :mad:

So was it one of these secure parking places where you leave the car in a space, drop off the keys and then they go and park it "properly" elsewhere?

Do you have any comeback in this instance? Or is it going to have to be a claim through your insurance?

On a happier note, did you do a fly-drive in Canada? Previously I've done Boston/New England to Toronto, Calgary, Quebec, Ottowa, Edmonton (the coldest place on earth when I went), The Rockies and Vancouver (not all at once mind).

Loved Lake Louise and Banff, especially if you drive out into the wilderness a bit! Walking across the CN Tower's glass floor was also an experience as was seeing Niagara Falls (although it's actually rather tacky in the town itself).

Actually, aside from the UK or Hungary (where I am now) Canada is pretty much the only other place I'd happily move to!! A very hospitable people who are lucky enough to live in one of the world's most beautful countries!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Absolutely gutted for you. We flew from Manchester about three years ago and had pre-arranged parking. Got there to find that you left your car outside and your keys in the portakabin for them to park it up later. My husband was not happy about it at all but it was 5am in the morning and there wasn't anything else we could do. Fortunately, the car was okay when we got back but I think my husband was quietly worried throughout our holiday.

Surely they're accountable in some way?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep, you leave the car and the keys and they park it up. I spent half an hour filling out forms and them taking pictures. They also have the form that shows the car as intact when I left it. I'm waiting for a call from the manager there, as they should pick up the bill according to the bloke filling out the paperwork. Up until that point I was impressed by the drop off, transport and subsequent pick up. Just been unfortunate I guess.

We had 3 nights in Lake Louise, 5 nights in Jasper and 6 nights in Banff. Weather was mid 20's Celcius upon arival and midway through Jasper we got -3°C and snow! What a beautiful part of the world, and your right - the people are exceptionally friendly. We did a lot of walking and quickly realised people aren't kidding about the bears :shock:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just make sure that you choose the repairer. They will probably try and suggest a recommended bodyshop they use.... yeh right, more like the owners brother in law has an outfit somewhere......

You have to be careful with colour match as well........ as someone on here is aware ;)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to insist it goes through the local Honda dealer up here (Springfield) to be sure paint and body warranty is fully complied with.

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
It must have been a dreadful discovery; especially after an eastbound flight across the pond. I think I used the car park myself last year.

You're right to insist on your local dealer carrying out the repairs, and picking up the bill is the least they can do.

If the damage is consistent with it being reversed into something I'd be keen to find out why nobody was waiting to own up.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I would never use one of those car parks. I've often read about cars being 'tried out'. One guy's Jag had almost 1:2 a tank of fuel in it when he handed it over; and 1:4 when he collected it + a damaged wing!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Sorry to hear that Hartside :(

On a positive, we have family over in Canada, people over there are so friendly, different planet!!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have heard BAD things about those kind of car parks. I wonld never trust one. Who say that TV program a while ago where the investigated them undercover? They had cars parked "securley" in housing estates and random industrial parks. it was shocking.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have heard BAD things about those kind of car parks. I wonld never trust one. Who say that TV program a while ago where the investigated them undercover? They had cars parked "securley" in housing estates and random industrial parks. it was shocking.
I think there was a newspaper article about it too.. not that long ago.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Allan,

A bit like the car parking guy in Ferris Bueller's Day Off! They leave a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT with the attendant who says "No problem, trust me, you guys got nothing to worry about. I'm a professional!". He drives slowly into the garage as they look on, before promptly speeding off for a spin around town once they're convinced it's all nicely parked up!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had a very similar experience at Manchester with a Saab I used to have. I didn't notice till I got home that it had 2 large dents in the passenger door. not sure whether we should actually name them, but the name suggests they are the "foremost" parking

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
My brother had the very same thing happen to his Focus the last time he left it at Gatwick's Long Term parking.....he created quite a bit, and eventually the company that run the car park paid for a full respray for him.....they had the whole incident on CCTV.....

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Just back from a wonderful two weeks in Canada and I had left the Civic in "secure" storage at Manchester. Got sorted with the keys etc in the office and went to get my car. Some bas***d has hit it or reversed it into something and they hoped I wouldn't notice. Passenger side rear bumper is scratched and bent in along with the rear wheel arch trim. Careless muppets :mad:

What a way to end your holidays :(
Hartside, if you do a similar trip in the future, you can leave your car on my drive and I'll take you to the airport. I'm only about ten miles away.
The parking will be free of charge to you ;) .

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a letter through this morning from the manager of the company apologising for the damage, promising a full investigation and asking me to forward estimates for repair to him. Not a bad response within 24 hours of the report in my opinion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything gets sorted smoothly from here.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hartside, if you do a similar trip in the future, you can leave your car on my drive and I'll take you to the airport. I'm only about ten miles away.
The parking will be free of charge to you
Cheers Elfa7, I might just take you up on that offer :D Likewise if you ever go from Newcastle ;)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Great idea Elfa www.civinfo.com/parking - There was talk about other merchandise, why stop there.

www.civinfo.com/bacon
www.civinfo.com/flights
www.civinfo.com/ratwavingwhilststoodnexttoaCivic

1 - 20 of 34 Posts