2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

ive just put a deposit on an FN2 type r with 35K on the clock. The agreed price is £7800 which includes a service (which is due) and 3 months RAC inspected warranty.

The only niggle ive got is the service history
-1 stamp was 9k mile service
-2nd service stamp is missing!!
-3rd service was 16K
-4th service was 25K
-5th year is due (getting serviced next week)

I didnt really know an aweful lot of about the type r's but do you think it will be ok? It certainly sounded very nice, quiet, smooth and powerful.

As they have agreed to service it (even though the oil looks clean) do you think i should call them and specify what parts that need doing or should i just leave them to it?

Also does the 2007 GT support MP3 on the CD player (via CD's)?

look forward to your response

Thanks
Christian

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Check out this list
New car checklist - Civinfo Wiki

Few things to inspect before agreeing.
Check the third gear is easy to engage. Known problem with gear synchros. Also rust around the top and bottom of door seals. May be worth asking them to run the reg through their system and see if there has been any warranty repairs done. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Also check the service schedule for what should be changed on the service. Things like brake fluid may not have been changed depending on where the car has been previously serviced.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi, thanks for the reponse.

can you describe more what problems there might be in third? would it be tricky to get it into and out of gear as i didnt notice any problems in the test drive? However i did "crunch" the gears once but im pretty sure that was just me slipping on the clutch pedal and it slid in the second time

There was a very minor bit of surface rust on the door under the seals but it seemed such i small amount i ignored it

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Yes it will play mp3 and wma's

Check the top corner of the doors under the seal, and around tailgate hinges.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im worried about the gearbox now :(

is this crunch something that would happen every change or is it intermittant?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Don't be too worried if ya buying from a dealer & it is an issue give it him back to repair.

Mine is an '07 plate & got no issues.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think it would be classified as a warranty repair?

I thought I was just being kack footed putting it into 3rd when it crunched as it was my 2nd gearchange in the car! (i also stalled in when starting in 1st :) )

the dealer didnt have any problems changing gears when he drove it

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
If the syncro had gone you'd have known about it.

It would have been like trying to change to 3rd with out using the clutch.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool. Doesnt sound like the end of the world then. People with the problem are saying that a little extra force is needed when pushing into 3rd? Ive had problems like that before with past cars and its just something to get used to right?

I had agreed to collect the car in 2 weeks time but i might ring then up and see if i can get it tuesday or wednesday :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news about the mp3. No reason for me to upgrade that as you can get a lot on an overburned cd.

Do I need to run super or will normal unleaded do?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
I have a 2007 type R mate, It also has the third gear crunchy nut biscuit.

It doesnt bother me, after a while you get used to it and its an automatic reaction to feel carefully as you slide it into third.

Its like a little trick that you can only do with practice.

It dosnt affect the way i drive at all.

Dont worry too much about it. I think most 07 R's had this issue. some were dealt with, others were not.

I recently spoke to honda and they said if i get it to a dealer for a diagnosis they would consider a goodwill gesture and maybe sort it out for me.

So, first thing to do would be go to a dealer and tell them you are over the moon with the car apart from this small problem etc

Hth

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Good news about the mp3. No reason for me to upgrade that as you can get a lot on an overburned cd.

Thanks

I run normal 95 octane, but I have a custom map tuned for this fuel.

if you get flashpro and have it tuned by a proffesional (tdi north/south etc or an E-tune by one of the guys like civicRSA, vitviper, culasse etc) then you can have it run to your preferance.

It really maks it much better to drive too.

(and faster and more MPG)

·
Registered
684 Posts

Thanks
You can run either.

Lower octane fuel will produce a little more knock retard resulting in a tad less power, but it will only be 1-2 bhp at most so many people dont see the need to run it.

Personally I do tho, mostly for the superior cleaning properties but the extra 1 bhp or so always helps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers... i think i will just run super then :)

so the 3rd gear issue sounds like its just a bit more difficult to get the gear in right?

double notch on 3rd and all that?

if thats the case then why do people get it fixed or is because most of them have been under warranty?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
You can find further information about the 3rd gear issue on the Wiki:

Type R 3rd gear problem - Civinfo Wiki

You could try calling Honda and supply them the car's VIN number (bottom of the windscreen) to verify whether the car's 3rd gear problem has been fixed.

If it hasn't then it can be fixed by replacing the 3rd and 4th gear synchronisers however, it seems that you are not buying your car from a Honda garage. I fear you might struggle to get it fixed under warranty from a non-Honda garage especially if it doesn't have a genuine Honda extended warranty since the car's original 3 year manufacturer warranty has already expired.

Myself and other members on here have struggled to get this issue fixed even having bought our cars from a Honda garage because it's difficult to reproduce the problem. I told my Honda garage take out the the gearbox and inspect it knowing that if wasn't faulty, I would have to pay the labour charges. Fortunately, the fault was there and it was all covered under warranty :thumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how much is it to fix? does changing the gearbox fluid for something like royal purple not cure the problem?

·
!-!
369 Posts
Hi, I rang about the car and bloke said someones put deposit on it it was YOU lol.

Well done man :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
!-!
369 Posts
You can find further information about the 3rd gear issue on the Wiki:

Type R 3rd gear problem - Civinfo Wiki

You could try calling Honda and supply them the car's VIN number (bottom of the windscreen) to verify whether the car's 3rd gear problem has been fixed.

If it hasn't then it can be fixed by replacing the 3rd and 4th gear synchronisers however, it seems that you are not buying your car from a Honda garage. I fear you might struggle to get it fixed under warranty from a non-Honda garage especially if it doesn't have a genuine Honda extended warranty since the car's original 3 year manufacturer warranty has already expired.

Myself and other members on here have struggled to get this issue fixed even having bought our cars from a Honda garage because it's difficult to reproduce the problem. I told my Honda garage take out the the gearbox and inspect it knowing that if wasn't faulty, I would have to pay the labour charges. Fortunately, the fault was there and it was all covered under warranty :thumbsup:
Up to about 2 weeks ago Honda refuse to give warranty work.

For the past month they've always given it but recently they don't . As every car I'm interested in I ring them to ask warranty info but they refuse. I thought dpa was about customer info. But the argued that to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
starting to wish i hadnt though! Thinking of asking for a second test drive!

Can any research be done with the VIN number? SHHFN23607U005832

or perhaps i could ask the last owner if i could find him!?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts