2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As title, just bought a 3 door 2.2 type s. 150k on the clock, decent condition but not perfect, only needing it for 12 months so fingers crossed I've made the right choice with one of these. I think it must be the poverty spec because it doesn't have a sun roof or even an aux input haha. I've come from a 3 litre Z4 so as you can imagine a completely different car in almost every aspect. Taken it on a decent drive today and first impressions are much better than what I was expecting! I'm not sure if it has been mapped but for 140bhp it feels pretty dam nippy and it seems very easily chuck able on the country roads compared to the Z4... not to mention the comfort upgrade!!

Got a few questions, I thought it would be better just putting them all in one post.

When driving i can hear a squealing sound (i actually think its coming from multiple wheels), same sound as when the pads on the brakes are worn. It tends to dissapear when i apply the brakes.. gets worse the slower the car is moving. Any ideas what this could be? It's pretty loud and annoying to the point I have to put the windows up.

Is there any way to check if the car has been mapped?

Air con doesn't blow cold air. Assuming this just needs re-gassing... all though I wondered if there where any common issues re air con in these cars?

When turning the car off the engine feels like a mini earthquake is happening, is this normal?

If i tap the window auto up control the window goes up to the top and comes down again. Only way to get it up is to keep manually touching the window control. How do i fix this?

·
Super Moderator
2,982 Posts
Engines pull like a trai so might be standard
There is a window reset you can do
Try searching I know there's a how to do it guide on hear somewhere
When I sold my 2.2 it had 184000 on clock and engine was still fantastic. And still never used a drop of oil unless you left oil change late and then used a little until fresh oil change

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
must be an early one if no AUX input - it will be under the centre arm rest if it has.
don't think the 8G had a sun roof option but some versions had the glass panoramic roof

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
323 Posts
Welcome to what you THINK is a stopgap, but is actually your gateway drug to Honda ownership.

The squeel is almost certainly brake related as it goes away with light pressure. Possible both front and rear pads need replacing, or the discs are lipped and need refinishing.

A/C, tends to be both rock solid reliable AND super efficient but isn't bulletproof. For the size of the car, the AC really does well and keeps the interior chilly. Give it a regas and go from there, you could find there's nothing more wrong with it, or it would be the previous owner swapped the drivebelt for a non-AC version to drop the compressor off the belts rather than replace the broken compressor (worst case scenario).

Not sure about your car-quake. Could be worn engine mounts, a faulty run-on relay/valve (not sure how they control that) or something else unrelated. Might be worth getting it checked when you have the regas.

All in all, I hope you enjoy your new Type S, they're a fun little thing to own!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2008 2.2 with 146K miles last October for £2200. Quite a lot I thought, but I'd just sold my Fiesta for top dollar so I was more than happy. Anyway it now has 155K on the clock and the only maintenance I've had done is clutch fluid change and gearbox oil change. The clutch used to slip like crazy for the first 8 months I had it, after the gearbox oil change was done it seems to have gone away. I have no idea why. It appears to have the same clutch. I used to think mine was remapped but actually it's stock and the car has more than enough performance. I manage to get 55mpg from it combined which is more than I expected. The biggest con is the heating just gets warm, it's nowhere near good enough in Winter so I bought a heated car seat and that helps a lot. So prepare to freeze in Winter! One more thing I needed doing is driver's side anti roll bar it worn out so there was a rattling sound. Honda want too much to fix it £140+ so I took it to an independent garage they did it for £80, might still be a rip off but it seems reasonable.

I thought I'd miss adaptive cruise, lane guidance, blind spot monitoring that my other car had etc but I don't. I bought a Connects Double DIN kit fitted an Android/Auto Apple Carplay Pioneer stereo, so I hope to run this car for 3 or 4 more years. I have another 2L V6 sporty car for being silly in. This is my sensible car, 2 work colleagues called it ugly, I think they're insane. It still looks modern now. I need to fix the power mirrors and the radio display (now just shows time/date because of the Connects kit) sometimes has a loss of contact so the end of the date is missing, just a little section. I have wiring in place for rear camera, I have a rear camera but I can't figure out where I can mount the camera on the rear, one more job to do.

Things I don't like are the navigation for the pages in the display, I wish they had a back button, you can only cycle forward through the display, wish there was a mod for this it does my head in! I don't like how freezing cold in Winter it is, I have leather seats but they didn't fit heaters to them, they're optional! Crazy! The ride isn't great and going up and down ramps mine makes a crashing noise which I think are the low set mid flaps hitting the road.

I need to fix power mirrors, only one works have to change a fuse in it, the other mirror has the whole fuse assembly wire bit (whatever you call it) missing so I guess it was swapped to the driver's side mirror. One day I need to swap them over and see if the other mirror works or if it's more serious. I have thought about remapping it, but nah this is a workhouse cheap motoring and the way the economy is going I will run this for as long as I can.

Summary/Stuff to fix:

1.Awesome car. My brother had two a 2006 from new then a 2009 from new, now he has a Merc 2019 and that's already broken with a faulty sensor under the fuel tank which the leasing company sorted as it was mightily expensive. He should have stuck to Jap cars :)
2.Has been really low maintenance in the 10 months I've had it.
3.Common problems : Clutch slip YES, has resolved itself for now. Rear boot leak: NO, Engine manifold crack: NO
4.Freezing cold in the Winter for 2.2 Diesel just never gets hot only luke warm. I bought a heated seat cover from Argos which plugs in the 12V Cigarette lighter socket.
5.Replaced crap factory fit radio with Double DIN Connects kit, fitted Pioneer radio, still need to fit a better aerial for DAB but use Android Auto and Radioplayer app. Also use Waze for navigation.
6.Driver display pages are forward navigation only so have to cycle through them, annoying (at least for me it is)
7.Connects kit allows changing of Date/Time using steering wheel controls. Great kit!
8.Need to fix slow moving driver's side folding mirror, need to swap part from driver's side to passenger mirror which has missing fuse assembly and test the mirror, then buy the part if it works.
9.It was serviced by the bloke who owned it before me, brakes/discs all done. I think he wanted to get rid because of the clutch slip but for now it's not slipping anymore and now it really shifts. The clutch pedal was adjusted by Honda in 2016 but it's never had a replacement clutch/DMF.
10. I get 55mpg pretty regularly combined and I rarely get above 60mph. I do try and hypermile the car. I have managed 68mpg on a long run no town driving which was crazy. I just use standard derv not performance. Don't see the point of paying loads more for fuel, it's already too expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi mate. Ive fixed/sold/repaired lots of the wingmirrors. Happy to help if you have any questions.
Thanks. I bought 2 fuses not realising the SOD was missing from the passenger side mirror. I'll test the SOD from the driver's mirror in the passenger mirror. Then if that works will buy a SOD for the passenger mirror, then change the fuse in the driver's one so it runs at full speed again. Is there an easy way to remove all the packing around the fuse?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts