2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just registered here because yesterday i pulled the trigger on a 2007 Type R FN2. Now I'm starting to worry about this known 3rd gear issue that occasionally occured on the 2007 cars. How common is this problem and are there any stats about how many cars were affected? However i test drived it for about 30 mins and i felt nothing wrong in the gear box. But should i need to be worried?

Best regards

·
Registered
246 Posts
Most of the 07 cars with the gearbox issue would have been fixed by now. Just be sure to service the gearbox oil as being an 07 car the oil will have deteriorated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the bushings under air filter if they are OK, change the oil for something good and don't worry ;)
I have the 07 also, 3rd gear is somewhat crunchy, but you get used to.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Dependant on the mileage a 12 year old car should have presented this problem by now I would have thought. Good advice above about get the gearbox oil replaced though.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Every car I've had was a little notchy going from 2nd to 3rd gear.
Unless it keeps popping out of gear after you change up then there should be no problem, like everyone has said get the gearbox oil changed - even Honda only charge £85 to do it.
Honda service interval for change is 8 years, check the service history if you got one.

·
Enjoying life
8,541 Posts
Transmission fluid change is a POP on these, get yourself 2 litres of Honda Mtf 3 and a fresh crush washer, a funnel and a metre and a half of 10 mm tubing. Cost you around 25 notes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! Good advice to change the gearbox oil.
The car also has around 163 000 km on the meter (around 100k miles i believe), is this risky for this kind of car? I thought the car looked remarkably fresh however and it looked really nice under the hood too, but i think the dealer had put some time into cleaning and polishing it up a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Yes I'm probably worrying way too much, but that's because this is my first car purchase. Anyway, the car was in overall good condition and the service had been done so i hope everything will be fine. Here's a pic it. :)

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Looks good, the wheels are certainly different.

I'd invest £30 in the real Honda TypeR stickers for the quarter panel, would look much better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good, the wheels are certainly different.

I'd invest £30 in the real Honda TypeR stickers for the quarter panel, would look much better.
Thanks! Do you have a link to where those stickers can be ordered? I would like to check them out.

By the way, this car has xenon lights, heated seats and cruise control, does this make it the "GT" version?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes I'm probably worrying way too much, but that's because this is my first car purchase. Anyway, the car was in overall good condition and the service had been done so i hope everything will be fine. Here's a pic it. :)

Doors look slightly different shade than the rest. Any accident history?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Thanks! Do you have a link to where those stickers can be ordered? I would like to check them out.

By the way, this car has xenon lights, heated seats and cruise control, does this make it the "GT" version?
Stickers here, but you might find them cheaper on ebay or get local Honda dealer to match price and save the postage:
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-civic-type-r-side-decals-2007-2011

Not sure about it being "GT".
The Xenons could be aftermarket upgrade, didn't know heated seats were an option & thought they all had cruise.
If it has auto lights & wipers then it probably is a GT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Doors look slightly different shade than the rest. Any accident history?
No accident history that i'm aware of. But yes i agree, there seems to be a slightly different shade... I don't know what that could be. It appears differently depending on angle etc. Here are a couple of extra pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stickers here, but you might find them cheaper on ebay or get local Honda dealer to match price and save the postage:
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-civic-type-r-side-decals-2007-2011

Not sure about it being "GT".
The Xenons could be aftermarket upgrade, didn't know heated seats were an option & thought they all had cruise.
If it has auto lights & wipers then it probably is a GT
Thanks! I didn't pay too close attention to those Type R logos on the quarter panel when i tested the car, but i think they might as well be attached straight to the quarter panel and i'm not sure if they are removable. I'll investigate it when i get the car in a few days.

Yes I think the wipers are auto atleast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi mate have just bought one of these aswell had similar issues.

I would change the gearbox oil (I used redline) , change gearknob to a weighted one aswell and I find 99% of the time now I dont have any issues.

Before 3rd gear was always a worry if it would go in or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts