2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2006 Honda Civic with a few faults but the list seems to be getting bigger. It still has 12 month on the mot so some things can wait but others are really important. Here's the list of faults so far and how much I've been quoted for some of them:

Engine management light: cat converter running below efficiency. 100 for Torque Technique in Salisbury to cut it out and weld a new cat in place. 700 for Honda to do the lot. Will this damage my car if I leave it for 12 months or just cause high emissions and use more petrol?

Airbag light comes on sometimes. After taking it to my local village garage they seemed to think it was the seat weight sensor as it previously only came on when someone was in the passenger side. Since taking it to that garage it's now stuck on all the time so I don't know why that would be. Also it beeps when passenger doesn't have their seatbelt on.

Front bumper poorly fitted, the previous owner said his wife bumped it in a car park and he had to buy a new bumper, I've tried getting it to pop into place and succeeded to an extent. The bar that the bumper slots onto under the headlight is bent down a bit so there is a slight gap under the lights. Honda said a new bumper would be 180 which is fine but what about the fitting bars?. The plastic bit in between the lights is bodged on with wood screws and the headlight fixings are broken too and he has one screw on each headlight to stop them pivoting. The headlights seem to have another bolt holding them in place under the bumper.

Screen wash doesn't work most of the time. It normally takes a while, until the engine is warm or at a high speed. When it eventually decides to work, it works every time I want but after finishing my journey and turning the engine off for a while it stops again. Is this the motor, clogging, electrical, fuse box, engine management? This is the main problem that obviously effects driving the most at the moment so I need to get it sorted ASAP. Is this something I can do myself? Would this be related to his accident?

Also not sure if the VSA button is doing anything. Am I expecting a light somewhere on the dash?

Finally, the last problem is more of a niggle - squeaky door handles. They feel shoddy and squeak and click badly when you open them. It feels like they are breaking as you do it. Is this serviceable? How much? Or can I do this myself.

Is there over £1k worth of work there, I wouldn't mind around that mark as I got the car almost 2k below what others locally were going for in black. Just a bit worried I've bought an un fixable turd.

Thanks for your time guys. Feel free to just respond to the screen wash part as that's the most important.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
think you may have got what you paid for unfortunately :( sounds like more than a couple niggles

Reactions: PistolPete

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Nothing too bad there pal.

Firstly the Cat, probably the secondary O2 sensor not liking the reading it's getting, how many miles has it done? Firstly I would take the O2 sensors out and gently clean them (google this if you need help), disconnect the battery for half hour whilst you do this as this may also help to reset any outstanding fault - WARNING do not leave key in ignition when disconnecting battery.

If the fault remains and it's looking like a new Cat then yes a reputable exhaust fitter like Powerflow or Longlife will sort you out a new weld in Cat, maybe a little more than £100 but you want a good one, crap cats only last 5 mins- I know it happened to me. If you are planning on modifications in the future anyway maybe look into a price for a complete cat-back system inc cat, may be cheaper than you think.

Air bag light is more than likely the multiplug under the seat that is also responsible for seat belt warning etc, you could try unplugging it and checking for any obvious bent pins and carefully clean any visible grime or corrosion - this is a common fault across lots of makes and models.

Bumper will be a case of ordering a new one, same with the brackets you need, coxmotor parts or holdcroft Honda will sort you good prices.

Washer fluid one is an odd one that may need further inspection, they do get blocked but as yours is intermittent it may be something else.

VSA- try holding the VSA button down?

Squeeky door handles is common too, I had it on mine, you could try a dab of silicone spray or WD40 to free them up, if not, price up some new ones whilst your on the phone to Coxmotorparts or holdcroft Honda ;)

All in all not much to worry about pal, and you got the car at a good price, I personally don't think you need to pay anywhere near £1000 to resolve those issues.

HTH

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Good advice above from Mr JP.

The VSA button though - on both my Civics it's been a simple press to deactivate, and a small warning triangle appears on top right of the dash.

This may already be illuminated if there are other errors?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with Syx regarding the VSA. However, if there are 12 months left on the MOT it implies its only just been done? How on earth did it pass with emissions problems and screen washer not working properly? I would question whether the MOT is genuine and would be inclined to have it checked again - there may be a whole host of safety related things you're not aware of. £50 for peace of mind (or not).

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I agree with Syx regarding the VSA. However, if there are 12 months left on the MOT it implies its only just been done? How on earth did it pass with emissions problems and screen washer not working properly? I would question whether the MOT is genuine and would be inclined to have it checked again - there may be a whole host of safety related things you're not aware of. £50 for peace of mind (or not).
Mainland MOTs are very lackadaisical. I live in NI and our MOT is a heck of alot stricter than mainland.

If you check lings Honda parts, bumpers aren't that costly and they come painted. The dear parts are the front and rear splitters.

I reckon you got it at good money? How many miles is on it? If you do the work to it yourself you should have change from £1000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys, really helpful. Unfortunately it looks like it needs new headlights too. I went to check the bulbs as one is slightly bluer than the other one and the previous owner seems to have some weird black glue like putty holding it in. Also, under plastic trim along the side of the cars engine bay he's hidden some screws holding the headlights in. Such a joke.

When investigating the screenwash issue I pulled back the loosely fitted wheel trim to find a large bolt with two threads and a strange pattern on the top just lying on the bottom of the bumper.... Could this be an engine mounting bolt? I think I might resubmit it for an mot or take it to my local garage to investigate further. I asked my local Honda about the screenwash and bumper issues and they said they would basically charge 100 just for taking the bumper off. I'm gonna take it to my local garage when I've got money and ask them to take the bumper off, look at the wheel trim and while its off get them to troubleshoot and fix my screenwash issue. And see if that big bolt came from anywhere important. If all the bumper mounts were ok I would have a go at it but I'd rather just get it done properly and sort the cat and airbag light later.

I heard there was a way of checking cars previous mots online so I guess that's job one tomorrow. And if he's just photoshopped his way to an MOT then I will take him to small claims court or something.

The car has 71,000 miles supposedly

Thanks again guys you've helped a lot.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
This is where you check the MOT history mate, you need the document reference no. from the front of the logbook or the MOT certificate no.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

Complete headlight units are around £100 each or at least they were couple of years ago. Other option is check local dismantlers and breakers for the parts you require, or online on the likes of eBay.

·
"Polishing Maestro"
1,215 Posts
However, if there are 12 months left on the MOT it implies its only just been done? How on earth did it pass with emissions problems and screen washer not working properly? I would question whether the MOT is genuine and would be inclined to have it checked again
Exactly what I was thinking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts