2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just bought myself a new fk2 in sporty blue. Really happy with the car overall. Love the looks ,power increase and the comfort. Im coming from a fn2 which everyone knows is a harsh ride. The fk2 is like a family saloon ,comfort wise at least.
Couple little issues I want to ask you guys about. The gearstick is a little fiddly ,especially going into first. It doesn't feel like its fully engaging. Sometimes when I go into first and release the clutch pedal I can see the gear stick move forward slightly , its a bit strange really. Its only happened once to be honest,but is it something I should get looked at?

Next is the alloy wheels. on one of the rear wheels it looks as if the paint is bubbling from underneath. It seems to be just on the one wheel. The centre caps on all the wheels ,seems as if the laquer is peeling. How I realised this was when I was washing the wheels the suds would gather under the surface ,just behind the honda logo and remain there until I could dry them off. Is this a warranty issue? Id like to be sure before I contact the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
bubbling paint on wheels - try a warranty claim. some got it through, others got denied. yours is the first i've heard of the center caps having issues though.

first gear sounds like a problem - well worth getting that one looked at. It's not something i experience on mine or recall others mentioning.

not wishing to scare you, but i've had a clutch on mine after 14months from new. it's in again right now (15month since last time) for same problem with an as-of-yet unconfirmed clutch/gearbox issue. Dealer found something but it's being stripped for further investigation.
I'm sure it's clutch again as theres problems in all gears, so I'm putting an aftermarket one in at my own cost. Dealer thinks it's 2nd gear synchro.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Congratulations on picking the best colour!

I had 2 replacement alloys as a good will gesture from Honda after they refused my claim for 4 alloys under warranty.

They are well aware that the finish on there wheels are shocking so it's worth a shot to ask. ( don't hold your breath though )

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I couldn't be bothered trying to claim wheels from Honda so just got them powder coated, and as for the centre caps all mine peeled to leave a lovely pink Honda logo so I bought new fk8 ones and treated them to gtechniq c5 but the chrome edge is still going white slowly from water ingress so I give up

It's the joy of Honda quailty and sea air

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for replies. I think ill try my local dealers,although I have had problems with them before. Im not sure that the car is still under warranty. Its a 152 reg so it would have been the first batch I suppose. Am I right in saying we get a three year warranty from Honda

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi veehexx ,god that's terrible. Im definitely going to get it checked. I had a similar issue with my fn2. Third gear was sometimes poor so I called into dealers ,they had a look . They said everything was fine . I have a feeling the same will happen again. Just out of curiosity ,I fitted a skunk 2 gearknob on my fn2 and it really helped,even with third gear,i wonder would it have the same effect on the fk2?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't be bothered trying to claim wheels from Honda so just got them powder coated, and as for the centre caps all mine peeled to leave a lovely pink Honda logo so I bought new fk8 ones and treated them to gtechniq c5 but the chrome edge is still going white slowly from water ingress so I give up

It's the joy of Honda quailty and sea air
I didn't know these would fit on the fk2. How much did they cost you. Ive seen some on ebay and their over £100:wink3:

·
Grumpy old f**k
103 Posts
Enjoy the car and good luck with it, I had the privilege of test driving the fk2, its a great looking machine and you should see equivalent or better fuel economy ( depending on how you drive that is :smile3:)

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Hi veehexx ,god that's terrible. Im definitely going to get it checked. I had a similar issue with my fn2. Third gear was sometimes poor so I called into dealers ,they had a look . They said everything was fine . I have a feeling the same will happen again. Just out of curiosity ,I fitted a skunk 2 gearknob on my fn2 and it really helped,even with third gear,i wonder would it have the same effect on the fk2?
your right, it is. i've a strong feeling the clutch isn't up to the job on the FK2 - theres just a few too many shift complaints going around about notchy into multiple hears as well as "me too" based on my symptoms, which has already been proven once it's clutch (warranty covered 1.5yrs ago).

2weeks to do and i should be a happy bunny again. with any luck the labour will all be under warranty, and i'm just in the hole for the clutch parts. It's a wear&tear item so it's not like it wont need replacing eventually.

the FK8R hub caps do look nice on the fk2. a small detail but very noticeable. well worth considering if your center caps are peeling.

tbh, I've had good warranty success with my dealer. no denials yet but some issues have had to get multiple visits to diagnose - intermittent window switch, notchy gearshift..

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I didn't know these would fit on the fk2. How much did they cost you. Ive seen some on ebay and their over £100:wink3:
yep direct fit and I paid around £60 a while back but can be had around 80 (try tegiwa as has 10% off at the moment with out a code or cox)

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep direct fit and I paid around £60 a while back but can be had around 80 (try tegiwa as has 10% off at the moment with out a code or cox)
Just had a look on Tegiwa site, £22.50 each,not to bad. They look so much better than the fk2 caps. Id love the fk8 wheels,also nicer than the fk2. But I cant justify paying the money

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your right, it is. i've a strong feeling the clutch isn't up to the job on the FK2 - theres just a few too many shift complaints going around about notchy into multiple hears as well as "me too" based on my symptoms, which has already been proven once it's clutch (warranty covered 1.5yrs ago).

2weeks to do and i should be a happy bunny again. with any luck the labour will all be under warranty, and i'm just in the hole for the clutch parts. It's a wear&tear item so it's not like it wont need replacing eventually.

the FK8R hub caps do look nice on the fk2. a small detail but very noticeable. well worth considering if your center caps are peeling.

tbh, I've had good warranty success with my dealer. no denials yet but some issues have had to get multiple visits to diagnose - intermittent window switch, notchy gearshift..

Hopefully it will work out for you this time. How much was the after market clutch kit? I cant seem to see any on Tegiwa site. Ill try the dealer first and see how I get on. After that I might try the skunk gearknob .

Had a look at the centre caps,they look so much better.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
yeah, fk2 support with tegiwa is poor. try the FK8 section - same clutch between the 2; they're interchangeable.

TDI-North and DREAM both list the Xtreme clutch in their FK2 section. £1260 for a the organic plate SMF conversion which isnt too bad. Genuine part upgrade to the FK8 SMF & clutch kit comes in around £1k anyway so not that much more for performance goodies.

Now i've SMF converted, i'm expecting around £400-500 for clutch kit in the future. been told the xtreme flywheel is compatible with other clutches too, not just their own so my guess is i COULD drop back to the FK8 clutch in the future, or move around the xtreme options depending what i do to the car.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Hopefully it will work out for you this time. How much was the after market clutch kit? I cant seem to see any on Tegiwa site. Ill try the dealer first and see how I get on. After that I might try the skunk gearknob .

Had a look at the centre caps,they look so much better.
tegiwa do a brilliant thing of not listing all fk2 parts in the fk2 section, as I only stumbled on the xtreme clutch kit after searching FK2 in their search bar, they sell it for the same list price as others

1 - 15 of 15 Posts