2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just added Dynamat Extreme to my doors and all I can say is WOW......

.....my ears still hurt!!

I like the Civic, but the road noise is disappointing. I went for the Dynamat option as it was something I could tackle myself. Unfortunately the results are not good enough. Admittedly, I have just driven from Sunderland to Devon (400 miles) and my ears are still ringing, but the noise is a real let down. The cars very comfy (seat wise), but if only it were quieter - a lot quieter.

Tim

·
Registered
487 Posts
have you insulated the boot floor, including the spare wheel well? a hatchback or a station wagon suffers much of its noise level because of that area.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't done anything is this area - have you tried this on yours out of interest?

Having done the Dynamat and not been wowed by the results, I'm reluctant to keep experimenting if its not going to make much difference.

I'm partly inclined to change the car now.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried that, but after 7 hours its torture (nothing to do with my music taste either!)

Tim

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I did mine a while ago , makes a hell of a difference

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I haven't done anything is this area - have you tried this on yours out of interest?

Having done the Dynamat and not been wowed by the results, I'm reluctant to keep experimenting if its not going to make much difference.

I'm partly inclined to change the car now.
I've been pondering doing mine for a while now. Has doing the doors improved the clarity of the speakers? And do the doors shut with a bit more of a satisfying thud rather than a tinny clang?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've been pondering doing mine for a while now. Has doing the doors improved the clarity of the speakers? And do the doors shut with a bit more of a satisfying thud rather than a tinny clang?
there is a significant difference. i even did my work van's doors, which had huge sheet metal to resonate and nullify the speakers.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it has made the speakers better and yes, the doors do close with a better thud. It hasn't made much difference to the road noise though. My previous car was a Megane (my wife still has it) and by all accounts its not the best made car. However it is significantly quieter than the Civic on the motorway.

If you're doing a 10-15 mile commute you probably don't notice the noise. I don't when going to and from the office, but long journeys are quite wearing and I do 5-600 miles long distance per week.

Shame really as the Civic looks so cool, has loads of storage space (ideal for family holidays), has loads of gadgets and the seating is so comfy for long journeys.

When I compared various cars (Mondeo, Lexus IS, Mazda 6) the Civic seemed to tick more boxes, if only it wasn't so painful on the ears on long journeys. You only find that out after owning a car for a while.

Tim

·
Registered
487 Posts
if you want to sound proof for road noise then you'll have to go all the way: wheel wells double, floor, firewall, boot floor and rear quarter panels. that should make a difference.

i remember when i removed the heat insulation mat from my LADA's firewall. the noise level was unacceptable before that as well but after that it was awful. 10 mm thick heat insulation material with only a thin layer of tar mat made a difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
H guys Having just bought 2.2 es civic i find after a while the road noise irritating i was wondering if it was the wrong tyres or something fitted to it but after reading your posts i now know that it is a feature of the civic which is a shame as the motor other wise is very quiet.I will have to try lagging it, watch this space!

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have tried various tyres and it makes no difference.

This car has 17" wheels and my Megane (that was quieter) also had 17" wheels so I presume it is down to the soundproofing.

If you find a magic formula then please keep ups informed.

Tim

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a solution to the problem.

Here's what you will need:

Sound proofing under felt(the softer stuff is preferable)
Velcro

Tools required:

Scissors
Hobby knife
Measuring tape
Carpet glue
Chalk

1. First determine which is the softer side of the underfelt. There are 2 sides and the softer side must be positioned inwards.

2. Cut the material into a strip approx 25" long by 12" wide. You may need to make some minor adjustments to the dimensions.

3. Cut a piece of velcro 12" long. Stick each side of the velcro to each end of the strip cut above. Use carpet glue to stick this in place. Make sure you leave the glue to set properly otherwise it has a tendency to come unstuck.

4. From the left hand end, measure in 4" from the left and 7" up from the bottom and mark this position with chalk.

5. Measure 8" from the left and 7" up and mark another position with chalk.

6. At each of the positions marked in (4) and (5) above, cut a hole approx 1.5" diameter. The lid of a 4 pint milk container works well as a template.

7. Next, with the soft side of the material inwards wrap the 25" x 12" strip around your head, making sure the 2 holes align with your eyes and secure in place with the velcro. You will now have a more peaceful ride.

Good luck!

Tim

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have a solution to the problem.

Here's what you will need:

Sound proofing under felt(the softer stuff is preferable)
Velcro

Tools required:

Scissors
Hobby knife
Measuring tape
Carpet glue
Chalk

1. First determine which is the softer side of the underfelt. There are 2 sides and the softer side must be positioned inwards.

2. Cut the material into a strip approx 25" long by 12" wide. You may need to make some minor adjustments to the dimensions.

3. Cut a piece of velcro 12" long. Stick each side of the velcro to each end of the strip cut above. Use carpet glue to stick this in place. Make sure you leave the glue to set properly otherwise it has a tendency to come unstuck.

4. From the left hand end, measure in 4" from the left and 7" up from the bottom and mark this position with chalk.

5. Measure 8" from the left and 7" up and mark another position with chalk.

6. At each of the positions marked in (4) and (5) above, cut a hole approx 1.5" diameter. The lid of a 4 pint milk container works well as a template.

7. Next, with the soft side of the material inwards wrap the 25" x 12" strip around your head, making sure the 2 holes align with your eyes and secure in place with the velcro. You will now have a more peaceful ride.

Good luck!

Tim
For all those sizes etc did you really make one:confused: That I would of liked to have seen[smilie=laff.gif]

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
i recon to get the biggest reduction in road noise, change to a different tyre.

if your civic was like mine it was fitted with michelin pilot primacies and they make a bloody racket!

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, tried that too.

Goodyear Eagle asymetrical's were rated as a quieter tyre. Made no difference and they only lasted 12k miles.

Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
is it really that loud? im quite shocked.... i just cant fathom why honda would forget about NVH concerns when all around them are doing a decent job of things

though having read about their engines.... maybe they spent all the money there because they sure are impressive, especially the diesel... EGR, Variable Vane Turbo, Common rail system, Direct injection (with pilot injection strategy), cant remember if it has a DPF....but it probably does, Dual mass fly wheel.... lower 16:1 CR, its a pretty sweet deal.

i mean what level of road noise are you typically used to, bar the megan what else can you compare it to?

i imagine the solid ride (and rudimentry rear suspension set up) is to blame for much of the noise transmission. probably transmits the sound right though the cars spine (so to speak) rather than it being sound ingress from the outside.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Yes it has made the speakers better and yes, the doors do close with a better thud. It hasn't made much difference to the road noise though. My previous car was a Megane (my wife still has it) and by all accounts its not the best made car. However it is significantly quieter than the Civic on the motorway.

If you're doing a 10-15 mile commute you probably don't notice the noise. I don't when going to and from the office, but long journeys are quite wearing and I do 5-600 miles long distance per week.

Shame really as the Civic looks so cool, has loads of storage space (ideal for family holidays), has loads of gadgets and the seating is so comfy for long journeys.

When I compared various cars (Mondeo, Lexus IS, Mazda 6) the Civic seemed to tick more boxes, if only it wasn't so painful on the ears on long journeys. You only find that out after owning a car for a while.

Tim
You've hit the nail firmly on the head there :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am fitting new speakers on friday and I will get some dyno into doors as well, but only to get better sound qualilty. I will give you a post on my impressions.

I think that I will proof the spare wheel well and wheel arches later.

I think that, in general, I am getting on with the noise level, however I prefer to take out my girlfriend civic'02 i-ctdi for a long journeys...due to the sound comfort. I' ve compared our civic with volvo v50 and must say that it's nowhere near the noise level, however the audi a4 avant is loud also... ;-)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts