2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally managed to purchase my first ever Type R! I know a lot of people have 'dream' cars which go into the hundreds of thousands but the CTR was always a dream car of mine from the first time i took a ride in an EP3.

Honestly im having so much fun, im still getting used to everything as i have never owned a performance car before, my last car was a 1.2 clio which tbh will always be special as it was my first car but this Honda is just a completely different kind of monster.

I did have a few questions as this is all new to me. I know you have to rev the **** out of this car, but when your going to like the 6k-8k revs can that do any damage to your engine or is that literally where its meant to be sat? A friend of mine told me when it comes to switching gears that you only want to switch when you get into the red which i think i need to get a bit more bottle for lol. For the moment i really like revving it/accelarating in third gear, i just need to find some places where i can actually drive a bit faster and get some nicer roads to rev it on. But yea, i am reading the manual at the moment just to understand the full functionality of the vehicle and i also need to go into my system and turn on the rev indicator lights and the vtec engaged light or whatever its called. Its just theres a lot of warnings in there about damaging your engine if you over rev it, but is that just for the standard civic models?

On a second note, i want to install a new cd player. Can anyone just explain to me what type of facia/conversion kit i need? Im not looking at 2din i would be happy with the single din.

All help greatly appreciated, so happy to finally be part of the owners club :)

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Welcome!

I wouldn't sit at 6-8k all day long :laugh2: but thats what these cars designed to do so don't worry about it, just remember they are very strong engines, theres many supercharged cars with raised red lines running on stock internals, your not in a Renault anymore! Just remember to warm then engine up before hooning it.

As for the the cd player I'm not sure, not done it myself but someone knowledgable will be along.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
The enigne won't mind at all mate, most raise their rev limits to around 8600rpm when they start modding so stock rev limit is fine, three things though.

1/ Let it warm up before you rag it
2/ Check the oil level every 3-500 miles
3/ Check the oil level every 3-500 miles

Enjoy ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you have any reccomendations on some good oil to buy for it? Thank you for the help and answering my questions, now i just need to get some bigger balls to push it to that limit lol also i have started the notice the fuel consumption, i mention ive started to notice it as i never needed to look at my fuel gauge until the car was empty driving this car is gonna cost me some serious petrol money haha but its just so much fun..

·
4,277 Posts
Millers / Fuchs / Castrol or Shell etc 5w40 tends to be best in that order :)

Stock is 8200rpm iirc

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
+1 for Millers nanodrive oil. Just under 8,200 peak rpm for stock, mine is 8,600 rpm. Don't rely on water temp for vtec you need to let the oil warm up.

·
4,277 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So yeah I been driving about today and once again just loving it. I just love accelerating in it from 0-silly I know I should probably grow up a bit haha. But yeah experienced the vtec today and that was nice.

Few more questions, to the left of the steering wheel on my display there's a line that says REV and I know that's my rev gauge. Do the yellow lights on that only come on when vtec is engaged or when your in the high rev range? Or should it be coming on even when driving normally and going through the gears driving like a sane person?

Also any more audio experts here? I really want to get a new better head unit and install it but is it called a conversion kit what I need or a facia plate? If so does anyone have any reccomendations to which one to get? Also does it have to be a 2din, like will it look weird if it's just a one din? I know underneath the stereo there's a little flap that opens up, is that just storage or could I fit a 1din in there? It looks a bit small but maybe if I remove it there's enough space for a singular head unit.

All help appreciated.

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
The rev thing goes orange when you approach the limit. Use the wiki guides on here, they will more than likely cover all topics you need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, have you got any links to some particularly useful ones?

Also before i forget here are the pics!

I just want to go out and drive anywhere ha ha its ridiculous how much fun this car is, i feel like its turning me into a maniac, its unfortunate that this car has a bit of a reputation tho, had it two days been briefly followed by 3 police vans :(

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
If you use 30 oil then check it quite often :wink3:

The wiki page is a tab under the banner, just take a look.

·
4,277 Posts
5w30 burns off way too quickly, all the garages I have dealt with stick 5w40 in now including TDi.

Topup my oil every 600 miles now instead of every 250-300 :)

Nothing wrong with 5w30, engine might be a little freer but drank far too much of it

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Can't beat the nano 5w40 eh muse? ;)

·
4,277 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Can't tell what's pump and what's oil but get's to 8600 quicker mate :)
Well, you've got about 6 litres of it so I'll guess at the oil :)

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Lol, brings me back to the days when I thought my stock EP3 was fast and I too could not red line it I'm only patient enough to wait about 5 mins until the water temp starts climbing, should wait longer really but meh

You need to whack your foot down too the floor and change gear just after 8000rpm to get the most speed out of the car. I r just driven home at midnight like a bloody maniac as the roads were empty. I'd post a video but it would incriminate me badly. Then I drive out the garage launched in 1st, when the tyres spinning I hit 2nd which also span for a moment or two before gripping and pulling. The cold evening air makes the car a little quicker and I got some heat into the AD08s going faster than I should

It's possible to fit a single din but you're better off buying a cheap double din. Search on Google or EBay for connects2 FN2 fascia, that's a start but they're not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 126 Posts