2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I just picked up my 2007 2.2 CDTI Civic from my local dealers after having the clutch replaced.

The car has done 84,000 miles and the clutch had been slipping a little for a while. Just recently it started to judder in town driving so I booked it in ASAP.

It took the dealer an extra day to fit it, but they extended my courtesy car for an extra day free of charge so I wasn't too fussed.

I have only had it back one evening but so far I am shocked by the difference, the old clutch must have been totally knackered as the new one is so much lighter. (they left the old one in a box in the boot so I'll have a look at it tomorrow)

The thing I have noticed already is the fuel economy. Before the clutch replacement I was getting around 37mpg. Which isn't bad as my work commute is a lot of stop-start driving, and I often drive from North to Central London and back.

After a bit of testing this evening I got home and the average had jumped to 42.8mpg. Which considering I wasn't driving any differently or on any different types of roads seems a large jump.

Has anyone else had their clutch replaced and seen their mpg figure go up accordingly?

·
Helpee
126 Posts
Must have been slipping really bad to affect your fuel economy that much!

42.8 mpg still sems pretty bad, must be bad traffic/stop/start.

I have a nice run with little traffic and am currrently averaging 57mpg. (I hardly use my brakes)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What's more likely is that they disconnected your battery when fitting the clutch and the ECU and trip computer have reset back to default values, meaning the car has an opportunity to recalibrate from scratch.

I doubt your economy has gone up that much in real world terms unless of course your old clutch was totally shot. I wouldn't rely on the computer anyway, they're pants in these cars.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts

I have a nice run with little traffic and am currrently averaging 57mpg. (I hardly use my brakes)
i would like to welcome u to london diving mate and even if u ge that mpg (55) on m25 i will cover all ** costs :):)and get u a beer
:)::)):):)
this morning the fog was so bad they closed heathrow causing slow traffic airport yesterday there was accident atjunction 11 i think so slow traffic it is a joke to drive in and araund london:worms:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

In hindsight it may have been slipping more than I realised.

Most of my driving is stop start - ah the joys of living in London :p

What's more likely is that they disconnected your battery when fitting the clutch and the ECU and trip computer have reset back to default values, meaning the car has an opportunity to recalibrate from scratch.

I doubt your economy has gone up that much in real world terms unless of course your old clutch was totally shot. I wouldn't rely on the computer anyway, they're pants in these cars.
I don't think the battery was disconnected as the A & B trip values are all the same as when I took it in. Nothing in the car would suggest a reset as far as I can see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have just had a new clutch fitted and DMF they gave me back my old clutch and DMF they changed the DMF,after staying it was worn.I can see the clutch is realy worn after 77000 miles (worst than the photo above) . But how can you tell if the DMF is no good?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I have just had a new clutch fitted and DMF they gave me back my old clutch and DMF they changed the DMF,after staying it was worn.I can see the clutch is realy worn after 77000 miles (worst than the photo above) . But how can you tell if the DMF is no good?
too much rotation between the plates and no damping of the movement. A new DMF has limited and dampened rotational movement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.