2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hey, Im Rab.
Im going to view an 07 1.8 vtec es tomorrow. 67k on the clock, 13 service stamps. Pretty mint. Already viewed the car briefly but will be giving it a thorough going over tomorrow before signing anything.

just wondering what basic checks to do any problems to look for, any indicators or noises etc that would just say walk away.

I think the cars pretty decent but just want to go in with some knowledge. My first car. I don’t want a turkey or money pit…

cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,992 Posts
rust on the roof along the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen is a no-no
'07 reg will be out of the Honda corrosion warranty and it's an expensive fix if you can find someone willing to do it.

also check the lower boot compartment for damp or signs of dried out damp, pig to find leak and seal it

otherwise basically do the checks that you would do for any used car that is 14 years old.

at that age it should have had gearbox oil & fuel filter changed, spark plugs will go to 75k miles as they are iridium.
look at the aux belt that runs on the drivers side of the engine, if it has no cracks etc then that should be okay.
check the clutch fluid - little round reservoir drivers side - if it's golden bright then it's okay, if it's dark brownish then it needs changing.

if you are handy with a spanner then most jobs should be DIY.

·
Registered
19 Posts
#If it is an EX check the BT modul can pair with your phone. Rumors says a new module is like ~1000£, but you can ger aftermarket for ~100£.
#Check if the clutch is sqeaking - some is an easy fix some is a hard(expensive) fix.
#Shocks tend to wear out. Check if the car bounces too much when you press it down with your weight above each wheel (be careful not to dent the sheetmetal).
#Personally I would recommend to buy the facelift because of the grey plastic trim. It is painted on the facelift. The plastic will keep you busy every year if you dont want it to fade.
#Check the coolant level (when its cold).
#Check for sound in both front speakers.

None of the above is a deal breaker, just be a ware of what you are buying :) The civic has a bit of a harsh ride, but other than that its a great car all around. I’ve had mine for 6 years and not selling anytime soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rust on the roof along the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen is a no-no
'07 reg will be out of the Honda corrosion warranty and it's an expensive fix if you can find someone willing to do it.

also check the lower boot compartment for damp or signs of dried out damp, pig to find leak and seal it

otherwise basically do the checks that you would do for any used car that is 14 years old.

at that age it should have had gearbox oil & fuel filter changed, spark plugs will go to 75k miles as they are iridium.
look at the aux belt that runs on the drivers side of the engine, if it has no cracks etc then that should be okay.
check the clutch fluid - little round reservoir drivers side - if it's golden bright then it's okay, if it's dark brownish then it needs changing.

if you are handy with a spanner then most jobs should be DIY.
sorted mate thanks. Yeah we had a couple of those on our check list anyways. Couple not on it so thanks!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
#If it is an EX check the BT modul can pair with your phone. Rumors says a new module is like ~1000£, but you can ger aftermarket for ~100£.
#Check if the clutch is sqeaking - some is an easy fix some is a hard(expensive) fix.
#Shocks tend to wear out. Check if the car bounces too much when you press it down with your weight above each wheel (be careful not to dent the sheetmetal).
#Personally I would recommend to buy the facelift because of the grey plastic trim. It is painted on the facelift. The plastic will keep you busy every year if you dont want it to fade.
#Check the coolant level (when its cold).
#Check for sound in both front speakers.

None of the above is a deal breaker, just be a ware of what you are buying :) The civic has a bit of a harsh ride, but other than that its a great car all around. I’ve had mine for 6 years and not selling anytime soon.
It’s the SE as far as I’m aware. It’s the face lift I assume as it’s all matching bumpers etc. That’ll explain the 100 hike in insurance compared to the other one I saw then, I did wonder why it jumped up. I’m just off the night shift. Should be inspecting/picking up around 2:30/3 buzzing. First car. I’m more of the 2 wheeled Honda enthusiast! Fire blade 954… Not to go off on a bike tangent of course 🙄👍🏻

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT
34 Posts
It’s the SE as far as I’m aware. It’s the face lift I assume as it’s all matching bumpers etc. That’ll explain the 100 hike in insurance compared to the other one I saw then, I did wonder why it jumped up. I’m just off the night shift. Should be inspecting/picking up around 2:30/3 buzzing. First car. I’m more of the 2 wheeled Honda enthusiast! Fire blade 954… Not to go off on a bike tangent of course 🙄👍🏻
Hope it's as good as the cursory look suggests, I look forward to seeing photos and and updated profile!

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Facelift came in from 2009 so it’ll be prefacelift

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Facelift came in from 2009 so it’ll be prefacelift
Yeah it’s got slight black trim round the skirting but the the bumpers are 90% body matching. Bought it anyways. It’s pretty clean and the trim hasn’t faded. Any recommendations on what to use on it to prevent fading?? Would like to keep it looking good. Will uphold some photos the morra of it. 👍🏻

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,489 Posts
Yeah it’s got slight black trim round the skirting but the the bumpers are 90% body matching. Bought it anyways. It’s pretty clean and the trim hasn’t faded. Any recommendations on what to use on it to prevent fading?? Would like to keep it looking good. Will uphold some photos the morra of it. 👍🏻
My friend you have come to the right place for treating your car with a good clean, wax, polish, clay bar the lot basically. how to look after the cosmetic side of the car. A lot of peeps massively in to detailing, they be along soon, be ready my friend😂😂🤣🤣

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend you have come to the right place for treating your car with a good clean, wax, polish, clay bar the lot basically. how to look after the cosmetic side of the car. A lot of peeps massively in to detailing, they be along soon, be ready my friend😂😂🤣🤣
Haha aye my mate was saying clay bar. It’s had the same owner for first 17 years, he’s clearly looked after it. I keep the fireblade clean so I’ll do same wae car. I’ve got ceramic shield there for the bike I’ll get some of that on to it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Heya Rab, welcome aboard mate ahhh grand another silver 8th gen SE eh vnice. :) as nice intro to your line of hondas the 8th gen :) mine was a cdti 2.2 version panaramic roof.

hold fire on ceramic shielding quite yet mate, youll miss the fun of claybarring (omfg its so relaxing) effective and start of a glass finish. then mid polishing, waxing then sealing ;) the honda lacquer layer takes a good shine when prepped. :cool:

lol yep im guilty as charged from Hemmingway lol Rover3 is worse though :p hes probs right now trying out the poorboys stuff he ordered, i bet you. :ROFLMAO: im being hardcore and waiting a week before a wash :p he cant make 3 days lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heya Rab, welcome aboard mate ahhh grand another silver 8th gen SE eh vnice. :) as nice intro to your line of hondas the 8th gen :) mine was a cdti 2.2 version panaramic roof.

hold fire on ceramic shielding quite yet mate, youll miss the fun of claybarring (omfg its so relaxing) effective and start of a glass finish. then mid polishing, waxing then sealing ;) the honda lacquer layer takes a good shine when prepped. :cool:

lol yep im guilty as charged from Hemmingway lol Rover3 is worse though :p hes probs right now trying out the poorboys stuff he ordered, i bet you. :ROFLMAO: im being hardcore and waiting a week before a wash :p he cant make 3 days lol
Hey man! Yeah it’s a nice wee car, pretty well kept. Runs like a dream, couple of annoyances though (not sure if I’ve missed something in the settings) firstly the windows don’t automatically go up when I switch ignition off? Any setting for this or is it just the way, also the headlights stay on as well, do these go off in time or is it just manual switch off when parking up? Also, I want to link a little aux Bluetooth adapter to the stereo. It fits with a phono cable. Is there a port somewhere for it? The stereo certainly has an aux/mp3 setting but I can’t see how to connect it, no Bluetooth in the car so this is my option for playing music from phone.

yeah I’m going to order up a clay bar kit on eBay and get a good coat on it before winter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey man! Yeah it’s a nice wee car, pretty well kept. Runs like a dream, couple of annoyances though (not sure if I’ve missed something in the settings) firstly the windows don’t automatically go up when I switch ignition off? Any setting for this or is it just the way, also the headlights stay on as well, do these go off in time or is it just manual switch off when parking up? Also, I want to link a little aux Bluetooth adapter to the stereo. It fits with a phono cable. Is there a port somewhere for it? The stereo certainly has an aux/mp3 setting but I can’t see how to connect it, no Bluetooth in the car so this is my option for playing music from phone.

yeah I’m going to order up a clay bar kit on eBay and get a good coat on it before winter.
I don't think the windows do that, certainly they don't on my Type R.

As for the Aux, open the center armrest cubby and you'll find an extra 12v socket and the audio in for the Aux

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S51K871/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S3TTNPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 sort the Bluetooth to Aux requirements in my car

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think the windows do that, certainly they don't on my Type R.

As for the Aux, open the center armrest cubby and you'll find an extra 12v socket and the audio in for the Aux

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S51K871/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S3TTNPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 sort the Bluetooth to Aux requirements in my car
Ahhh the centre console has the fittings. Happy days. Yeah the windows aren’t a huge issue it’s just a common feature on most cars I thought Honda would’ve had it. I take it the headlights are the same. Just don’t forget to switch off. Obv there’s the audio warning so again not a huge issue but just kinda strange they wouldn’t automatically go off with ignition or even after a set interval or upon locking the car or something.

still chuffed to bits, seen a lot of folk commenting on the terrible rear view. For me it’s great, I’ve been riding a motorbike for past 11 years so the view is incredible 🤣

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haha, yeah that rear bar takes some getting used to. Personally I use it to protect my eyes from the glare of the truck Xenons, so i'm happy. Yeah I think the headlights are the sort that stay on after turning the ignition off (unless you have Auto Headlamps, in which case, put it in Auto and they go off). I look forward to a full photoshoot once you've got it that first full day clean! Mando and a few others are really into thier cleaning, so there's going to be no shortage of help and advice should you need any.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think there is in the 07 version.
Yeah 09 onwards from what I’ve read so far, any suggestions or tutorials how to install one cheaply? I’m about to start work and I will use the search function to see but in case anyone can just chime straight in. Or recommend a compatible aftermarket stereo ??

1 - 20 of 52 Posts