2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a 28 year old female IT Manager and I have to decide what I would like as my next company car. I have had a Golf TDI as my company car for nearly three years and it has been great however I have decieded that I would like something different this time around. I was set on getting either a A3 or Leon but I am thinking maybe I should add a Civic to my shortlist. However I do not like the exterior of the Civic but can I get past that due to the wonderful interior I saw in the Civic in my local showroom today?

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
How can you not like the exterior, It is Hondafantastic, Hondafuturama, Hondaspaceship or to most of us just brilliant.

However you see it digimadgirl, once you have driven it you will love it

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonna arange a test drive

Going to give the 'Corporate Sales Manager' a call on Monday to arrange a test drive. Not sure how friendly the Honda dealerships are to company car purchasers. The guys in the showroom today seemed more friendly than those in the Audi and Seat dealerships. I was surprised to learn that I might be able to test drive a Civic for a weekend rather than take it for a half an hour spin.

·
estranged
391 Posts
My local Honda dealer (Southern Counties, Crawley) has a sign on the door saying 'Company Car Drivers Welcome'... and I am, which is nice.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
digimadgirl,

Lots of us have come from Golf diesels - drive the Civ diesel and your mind will be made up!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
digimadgirl (welcome), you'll spit at a Golf next time you see one after trying the Civic diesel ;)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Good luck - pretty sure you will love it :p

My lease company got me a whole weekend test drive without any problems at all - Civic deleivered to and picked up from the office too :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Golf diesel is not that bad. I guess it depends which engine you have

- If it is the 2.0 Tdi, then in my opinion the 2 are very similay for performance, the Civic is noticeably more refined though. Almost to the point where it feels slower (until you spot the mph digits rising), because you do not get the 'peaky' torque feel, especially from earlier 1.9 VW diesels.

If you currently drive a 1.9 Golf, then it really is no contest. The Honda wins. (Edit: unless it is the 150bhp version - then it is close again)

As for the exterior looks. I know what you mean, I was not really smitten at first, but having just ordered mine really am now looking forward to being in a unique, non-euro cloned type car.

But if you cannot get on with the exterior, don't buy it. Everytime you walk to/leave the car, each time you stop at some lights and glance at the shop windown reflection you will regret it.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Its funny that you don't like the look of the car and yet you are still considering it for the inside alone, which I guess is where we all spend most time. I don't think I could do that, I would not look forward to walking back to it in car parks etc. Whereas I absolutely love the Civic and fell in love with the outside the second I saw it.

I too had the A3 and Leon on my list, but to be honest if you compare spec levels then the A3 falls at the first fence, its very basic, I was looking at the 2 litre diesel sportsback, can't remember the trim, but CD player and aircon were about it, not as much room as the Civic. The Leon was for looks alone and the DSG gearbox, but I saw the Civic and thats that. I came out of a 2004 2.0 GT TDi Golf and the Civic is a far better drive.

Welcome to the site, hope you come back after the drive and tell us what you think.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
A3 was on my list, especially as coming from a TT and having had an A3 before - but I was distinctly underwhelmed by the interior :(

Even more so after seeing the Civ :D

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
I too was looking at an A3 Sportback and although it wasn't the only reason I went for the Civic the price difference was more than signifficant. I also managed to get a reasonable discount on the Civic, approx 6% ( plus first service, matts and Hondas freebies of a rear spoiler and fogs). Which comes close to 10% if I was paying for the 'extras'

Audi £1000 off and we have one in stock sir!!!!!!!!!

I also looked at the new Golf and found it very claustrophobic and uninspiring.

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
If you don't like the exterior styling I wouldn't consider it. If you dislike the fundamental shape and presentation of a car I don't think any amount if interior goodies can make up for that. Interesting point though, as the styling of the Civic, along with its engine, seems to come in for the least criticism.

Personally I can't get enough of the exterior and think it puts the rest of the market to shame. My only gripes with the car are with aspects of the interior.

When I set about choosing a new car a few months ago I instantly put a cross through the Golf, as I thought it outdated and overpriced. I considered the Leon but had reservations about styling (dislike the front), interior space and residual value. I almost went for the A3 but an equivalent Civic is better specified and cheaper.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Welcome, digimad girl.

I would tend to agree with richierich and JB75. If you don't like the exterior, I wouldn't even go for it. I think I'd go for the Audi.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, what a friendly bunch you all are, even though I dared to say that I didn't like the exterior of the Civic on this forum!

All your replies have been food for thought however I must just tell you that I have had a restless night and even found myself dreaming of owning a Civic when I woke in the night. Is this a sign I'm coming around to the look of the car? :rolleyes:

Also I got up early as I couldn't sleep and have almost read every thread on this forum and looked through the Civic brochure many times, as well as using the 'Build your Civic' tool on the Honda website . The photos that have been posted have been very useful and I must say that I think the exterior looks much nicer in the NightHawk Black.

I love gadgets, which is why I think I would love the interior of the Civic. I think the digital speedometer is fab, I can't believe all new cars don't have this. I am abit concerned about how I would connect my Ipod, all new cars in my opinion should have this as well.

Am really looking forward to the test drive now - I'll make a post to let you all know how I got on!

Thanks for all your replies.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
LOL - good colour call! :wink:

I'm in the same line of work as you (and a few others on here :)) - showing my collegues round all the gadets has enchanced the ITness factor :wink:

They still look at me as an IT geek [smilie=cheeky-grin: But it's said in envy now :lol:
Sepcially when they pull up in their base spec 5 series BM and try to reverse into spaces... :rolleyes:

and then they ask how much it's costing me above the company car allowance - £9 per month :p :D

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
It might be interesting to do a survey on 'professions' and see how many more 'IT Geeks' are out there.

Maybe we are the target market???????

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was in the same boat - I have a 307 as a company car, and for this first time, was allowed to actually pick a car for myself this time! So why did I go for the Civic? The looks, for a start, although I initially passed it over as I foolishly believed it was only a 3-door car. Once I saw the price, the low emissions, and the gadgets (Bluetooth and Sat Nav! Never had those before!) I was hooked.

My only concern is the waiting list. My car was ordered in August and the expected delivery date just keeps going back and back and back . . . .

I'm in the IT game as well, but am not a manager - although wouldn't mind being one!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sepcially when they pull up in their base spec 5 series BM and try to reverse into spaces... :rolleyes:
I tried to reverse my colleagues Civic into a space last week using the rear-view mirror and the view out of the backwindow - and my dear GOD it's almost impossible, I eventually had to use the side-mirrors!!

So, what don't I like? The waiting list, the view out of the back, lack of iPod connection, and the bloomin' long wait!!!! Oh, and I feel it may take me a while to get sued to driving the iShift!

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I tried to reverse my colleagues Civic into a space last week using the rear-view mirror and the view out of the backwindow - and my dear GOD it's almost impossible, I eventually had to use the side-mirrors!!

So, what don't I like? The waiting list, the view out of the back, lack of iPod connection, and the bloomin' long wait!!!! Oh, and I feel it may take me a while to get sued to driving the iShift!

yep, that's the trick :)

rear camera to check that behind is clear, with quick glances to the wing mirrors to double check :wink:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts