2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased the following parts for my FN2 headunit upgrade.

Connects2 CTKHD01 Honda Civic Hatchback 06>

Connects2 Pioneer PATCH LEAD

Pioneer AVH-X2500BT Double Din HeadUnit

Before I go ahead and start tearing into the dash I just want to make sure things are looking good for the install and I don't need to get hold of any more parts.

And I would like to know about the remote lead etc.
I have an Edge amplifier + sub I am going to wire in too.

I have wired it up and assembled it as much as I can before I have to start tearing into the dash.

Let me know if everything looks good and give me some advice and things to look out for.
I have only ever done a basic headunit upgrade on a Ford before so this is a little daunting at the moment.

Pictures! Click here for imgur album

Any comments appreciated!

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Dont forget to swap the plastic clips on the Honda fascia lugs as they are not supplied with the connects2 fascia.

That blue wire on the aerial adaptor need connecting to +12v, I suggest connecting it to the system remote control wire as above.

Handbrake cable needs to be earthed, dont bother connecting it to the handbrake.

Get a reverse camera!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was unaware about swapping over the fascia lugs, thanks for that.

Yes, I will connect the system remote wire to the aerial wire.
If I want to wire a remote cable to an amp can I connect that too?

The handbreak wire needs to be connected to the handbreak switch or videos won't play on the headunit, I understand that you can ground the cable to bypass the handbreak on older units but on the newer headunits you require a microbypass. So for now I will have to connect it to the handbreak switch. Actually, I might get hold of a switch that I can toggle on and off and mount it somewhere, how would I wire a switch up to it?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you do, you can't just earth the handbreak on these models. If you do a google search there are a lot of discussions about the new 2013 Pioneer headunits and methods to bypass the hand break, you cannot simply just earth it.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Firstly, I am basing this on the following manual from Pioneer's EU site dated 01/04/2013:
Pioneer user manual

Looking at the install manual on page 3

This connection means that when the handbrake is not applied, 12V is sent to the unit, and when the handbrake is applied, it is grounded.

This means one of two things. Either it will look for the ground connection (meaning you can ground it), or it's a lot cleverer than that and needs a 12V at some point to enable the unit.

Based on the first instance, you can just ground the wire.
Alternatively you'll need a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) toggle, with one connection to 12V and one connection to ground, and the handbrake wire on the common. This will allow you to switch between the two.

From the diagram in the manual though I cannot see why grounding wouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spent all day doing the install.
Turns out... grounding it works.

I read everywhere that the new Pioneers need microbypass's, relays, switches etc etc.
But grounding it works fine for me. Im guessing that the UK model is different to the other models.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The American units have increased security as it's law over there not to show video while moving. It checks the earthing on the handbrake wire and compares it to GPS speed - anything greater than normal GPS 'wander' cuts out the video.

I swapped the pins on the white plugged loom on both my 940BT's which gets around this but then discovered this is not necessary on European units.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts