2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wizard
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there :)

My service is coming up soon, and I was thinking of replacing the OEM air filter with the one from K&N (33-3012) and was wondering if someone done this already - is there any difference?

EDIT: I went through the topics already on here - and found mixed answers on this, but couldn't find one for a diesel.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have replaced the oem with the K&N filter and there's no difference, not in sound or power.
Major benefit is saving in oem filters.

·
Registered
110 Posts
it happened to dyno, with and without KN.....

Without K&N(stock)....130hp/30.3nm

With K&N +1.5 hp/+1.5 torque....131.5hp/31.5nm

Same dyno....maybe it works on papers but defenetelly we don't feel that on the road.

·
Wizard
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As an update:
Honda doesn't replace the filter until 3rd service - which is ridiculous.

I took the filter out and it was completely clogged, I was surprised the car could actually breathe!
Put in a new stock filter - world of difference.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I replaced my OEM filter for a K&N on my Diesel 2.2 icdti and it developed a flat spot at around 2500, found no power gain but the turbo sounded nice through it :) I have now replaced with OEM one and the car runs better with it, K&N may work better if mapped for it.

Reactions: Redkev and Bartekkk

·
Registered
21 Posts
First day for my k&n filter. The difference is not huge and I can't be sure because it was time to change the oem filter. The old filter was dirty and the new more breathable than a new oem. So torque would be in any case increased. Engine sounds slightly aggressive in high rpm than before. I think that the ability to wash this filter, so the engine will keep "breathing" free, is the reason that someone has to buy it.
Personally i am happy:cool: from the first day because I didn't expect huge differences but it feels better than the oem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only thing I never liked about k&n is the oil from the filter can film the maf sensor and cause problems, it heard it happen on other cars, how common I don't know

·
Registered
305 Posts
K&N waste of time on a diesel and may do more harm than good.

A diesel engine is not throttled so is always running 'air-rich' so any slight increase in airflow wont make any difference.

Use an OEM filter that Honda designed instead of a boy racer add on.

·
Registered
675 Posts
When I brought my 1.6d the air filter was quite dirty (the Honda schedule for changing should be shorter intervals 24k miles or 2 years should be the max) I replaced mine with a k&n as it wasn't much dearer than the oem one around £35 , I sometimes use pipercross, I do tend to replace on all my cars when I buy one Inc my 10g sport I like that little bit extra breathing and sound and they last longer.
I do agree on a diesel you are probably best with the oem one as little to gain however on a higher revving n/a petrol engine they do seem to make a difference at higher rpm. My 1.8 ivtec with one on I got 143 hp on the dyno using superunleaded vs 138 claimed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts