2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since a bit of time I have a really annoying high pitched noise coming from the engine. It's completely tied to revs, and persists when clutch is disengaged (so it's not coming from the gearbox).

About six months ago (maybe a year) the sound was less strong, and I brought it to the dealer who said it was normal engine noise, and that "fixing" it would require a new engine. The sound is stronger now ad I don't really buy it that this is normal in any way.

In the video, windows are down, near a wall inside a parking lot so the sound can bounce back into the cabin for a better recording. Don't hesitate to put the video in 720p HD for even clearer audio.

What could be the cause of this sound? Should I be worried?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
just sounds like your car is fitted with the standard airbox?

ive found a similar noise when using WOT fully to the limiter and let off to change gear it “dumps” like a BOV.

I think its the small section of the airbox that is there to hold a reserve of air for vtec to ensure that there is enough air available.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Ive had a strange high ptiched noise when driving, sounds like a turbo, but its not, apparently it could be a pulley, probably a tensioner, but im not too sure, only does it when in motion really

·
Type EX,A guy called Mark
3,435 Posts
Ive had a strange high ptiched noise when driving, sounds like a turbo, but its not, apparently it could be a pulley, probably a tensioner, but im not too sure, only does it when in motion really

I can hear it.

Either a pulley, water pump, air con pump or alternator or could be a leaking gasket but I would have thought you would have had other problems with that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just sounds like your car is fitted with the standard airbox?
Yup car is full stock. I don't know, but it actually seems to sounds more mechanical than air flow. You know, a bit like those radio-controlled cars with a small electric engine.

ive found a similar noise when using WOT fully to the limiter and let off to change gear it “dumps” like a BOV.

I think its the small section of the airbox that is there to hold a reserve of air for vtec to ensure that there is enough air available.
I have that one too, when going WOT on a straightaway and flash shifting through the gears (meaning dumping all the power on the clutch). Indeed sounds like a turbo blowing off excess pressure. Hearing that I first was worried my clutch was giving up, but no, when it does that there's no sign of slip (on the contrary, the car leaps slightly forward), nor any bad smell suggesting the clutch would be burnt.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
2nd gear is ** main pulling gear u will always get a whine from this gear some times u will hear it in 3rd gear when pushing it. This is very normal to happen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2nd gear is ** main pulling gear u will always get a whine from this gear some times u will hear it in 3rd gear when pushing it. This is very normal to happen.
I'm at a standstill, clutch pedal to the metal. The gearbox doesn't even come into play.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I don't think I can't hear anything too abnormal there. Are you refering to the whining noise (which is normal) or can I hear a hissing noise? Could be a belt pulley bearing..

Can you get a vid from under the bonett?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think it's "whining" (I'm French and English is my second language) more than hissing.

Here's a video bonnet open at idle.

I've got the topmost left-side pulley that makes a bit of a clicky noise, like in this second video (not my car).

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
All I can think to try is to slacken the belt enough to be able to spin the pulley on it's own to see if the bearing is going. Also I've known alternator bearings to go before, too.

·
Honda nut
2,793 Posts
sounds to me like a bearing is rattling

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
lloeki - that 2nd video you posted is mine!

U can hear the similar noise to yours, but mine disappears after a while but comes back, not sure what it is, bumper sure its contributing to the noise

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
that hissing is the engine purging itself, all civics do it. its fine some are louder than others. so all sounds good to me mate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that hissing is the engine purging itself, all civics do it.
Interesting, could you elaborate on what happens physically, and why? regardless of it being normal or not I'm interested in the operation of my engine :)

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
^ +1 I'm not aware of this either

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
its quite long to explain best bet isto listen to one on you tube and google it. i will copy and past it you can not find engine purge.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts