2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I'm interested in determining with your help and experience the rev limits of or K20Z4 OEM engine internal components and find good solutions for a safe tuning engine for 9-9.5K rev limit.

Oil Pump - <260HP <8600RPM -> Solution - ERL S2000 Pump - 10.5K RPM
Valves / Springs / Cams < <270HP <8800RPM -> Solution ???
Pistons ???
Rods ???
Crank ???

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Hello,

I'm interested in determining with your help and experience the rev limits of or K20Z4 OEM engine internal components and find good solutions for a safe tuning engine for 9-9.5K rev limit.

Oil Pump - <260HP <8600RPM -> Solution - ERL S2000 Pump - 10.5K RPM
Valves / Springs / Cams < <270HP <8800RPM -> Solution ???
Pistons ???
Rods ???
Crank ???

Thanks for your help.
This is for boost/na application?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
What power mods will you be running- little point running over peak power tbh

Valvetrain - Supertech springs ( depending on cam) Ti retainers and spring seats.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Valve train (springs and retainers) acording to your cams and oil pump, should be good for 8800rpms all day long...

ERL pump its the best available for Ks and will take any rpm you throw at It. But there is no point reving an engine if you are not making power. and to keep making power after 8800/9000 you need some serious mods, if you are planing those "serious" mods, forged internals should be on your list.

Regards

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My Setup idea is for NA application and revving up to 9.2K (1000 RPMs than OEM, since I'm buying TSX 2006+ Cams and a ERL or FD2 Oil Pump Kit).

Does FD2 can take us safely to 9K?

Does OEM K20Z4 Valve train can take us safely to 9K?

I'm very enthusiastic since I've checked this post, where we can see that TSX 06+ cams can make power until 9.8K.

Your experience is welcome.

This is for boost/na application?

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
My Setup idea is for NA application and revving up to 9.2K (1000 RPMs than OEM, since I'm buying TSX 2006+ Cams and a ERL or FD2 Oil Pump Kit).

Does FD2 can take us safely to 9K?

Does OEM K20Z4 Valve train can take us safely to 9K?

I'm very enthusiastic since I've checked this post, where we can see that TSX 06+ cams can make power until 9K.

Your experience is welcome.
You will not make power past 8600 with those cams.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
That test on k20a.org was done on a heavily modified motor, 89mm bore, ported head, ported intake manifold, custom exhaust manifold, 3" exhaust ..... Our FN2 cams would make power to +9k aswell on that set-up!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That test on k20a.org was done on a heavily modified motor, 89mm bore, ported head, ported intake manifold, custom exhaust manifold, 3" exhaust ..... Our FN2 cams would make power to +9k aswell on that set-up!
Exactly this is why I need to understand the other components limits.

For what understood the OEM valvetrain can go at 8600-8800 RPM, then we have to go to aftermarket kits.

On the other hand the pistons, rods and crank, have a 9K limit.

Is this right?

And about FD2 oil pump can go 9K limits aswell?

If it can, for my setup a FD2 Oil pump and a aftermarket valvetrain can be a better solution than a ERL since I'll not got much further than 9K with stock pistons + rods + crank.

Thanks for the share of knowledge guys...

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
If You want just buy tsx cams, fd2 oil pump, rrc fd2 pistons and 8800 rpm. Great engine with litle money
what numbers you'll see at this setup 250, 260, (270??? maybe)
If you open the block take at least a stroker kit to a 2.2or 2.4 or a 2.4 short block
if i would stay na and would open the block i want to see at least 300

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
with this setup probably a solid 250HP.
I run similar setup (plus RRC manifold and FD2 spoon TB), without the rrc pistons and i have 245/250 HP. This is the power that the fn2 should have stock. More than this you need other parts like injectors, valve springs, etc.
I don't like strokers kits on DD cars

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Just keep an eye on your injector duty% as the revs go past 8500rpm. I'm limiting my rpm to 8200rpm as past this my injectors reach 85%+ duty. Also there's little need for more as all the power is 6-8000rpm anyway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just keep an eye on your injector duty% as the revs go past 8500rpm. I'm limiting my rpm to 8200rpm as past this my injectors reach 85%+ duty. Also there's little need for more as all the power is 6-8000rpm anyway.
I'll use OEM 320cc modded to 520cc for avoinding the problem you mention.

But thank you for sharing your experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts