2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 589 Posts

·
Frood Dood
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a couple of years poddling about in an HRV after my Clio decided it didn't want it's pistons anymore, I decided to look at new cars. Ford and Vauxhall were out of the question, as was BMW. Had done the VW thing and IMO the golf as a hot hatch has had its day.

Options were:
Audi A3
Seat Leon
Honda Civic

Ruled Seats out - not swish enough for me.
Audi -Chap at my local dealership was a knob so he tarnished the brand

After a wasted trip to Derbyshire to look at a car that had been sold that morning (Dont they have phones!!) I stopped off in at Boston Honda to check on some bits for my HRV, got talking to Tim in the sales team. Unfortunately they didn't have a type S in stock (Didn't want the R - already have the HRV that does less than 30mpg) and he told me that he would keep an eye open for one. Later that week I got a call, NHB Type SGT 2.2 on 56 plate with 41k. Took her for a test drive and fell in love :) Didn't drive like a diesel and handled so well.

Had the i-Pod link fitted, registered on this site and that was about it for the first year. Put my private plate on at start of 2012 and at the first service had the Alloy cap fitted then came back onto this forum ... and that is where the 'enhancement bug' bit.

Starting from a good base, I decided that the grill needed to be changed. The perspex number wasn't really my thing ... so got the Stealth Grill from Cox with a Red H badge (I know some will say the Red H is only for a type R - Well ... imitation is the highest form of flattery!)
http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-civic-stealth-front-sports-grille-p-1369.html

Front was looking a bit better, so took the i-CDTI badge off the back, ordered my :civinfo: badge and Ger's stealth detailing kit for the Civic and Type S badges.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo-traders/59152-black-decal-civic-badge.html

Quick poke round the detailing forum led me to Halfords - some G3 kit and gave her a good wax.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=farecia&department=all&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

Came across a post about the EGR valve - vvtf was that? Read it a few times, ordered the part from Boston Honda and was with me next day. Simple job to fit? Haha - my first trip into Engine Land was a good learning curve!

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/72471-how-clean-remove-fk3-2-2-diesel-egr-valve-5.html#post1343863

Bit more forum reading and I happened across Mr JP - the enlightened one! Top bloke helped me sort out the lighting issues and answered all my questions. Can't recommend him enough! Fitted those without too much hassle (Ok - so put the wrong bulbs in the reverse lights - but they fitted!!) - Blue interior and upgraded to HID's.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo-traders/81299-new-mr-jp-complete-bulb-kit-big-savings.html

So ... what next? Brakes!
Finally decided on EBC Greenstuff Pads and TG disks direct from their website - used the cheeky 15% discount too.

:: EBC Brakes Direct Limited : HONDA : CIVIC TYPE-S GT I-CDTI : 2006 : BLACK : k666los :

Grabbed some Do-Luck hoses from Sumo Power - bit of hassle with RM taking their time to post them meaning I had to put the fitting of these back till today (Big thanks to Kappa at Boston Honda for being super flexible!)

DO-LUCK POWERLINE BRAKE HOSE KIT :: Sumo Power

And some RBF Fluid from JJC Race & Rally. All being fitted right now as I speak - I love free wifi!

Motul RBF600 Racing Brake Fluid | Rallynuts

So where to next?

Well Wanner has been tempting me with his fog light protectors

Possible tint on the front lights - thoughts?

Eibachs are on the radar - possibly next year when the white stuff has left along with some new wheels. Not sure what to go for but they need to be 18" and either black or graphite.

FN2 rear spoiler and possibly a GP splitter kit

Also thinking of uprating the clutch before giving Celtic a call to tune - can anyone recommend a decent one?

That's all for now folks ... TBC when the card has cooled down!

k
:evil2:

·
Frood Dood
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

Brakes all fitted nicely - apparently the hoses were a bit of a mare.
Great drive home - stops on a 6 pence!

Got offered some 18" Blades with Toyo's while at the dealership - £600 ish. V Tempted!

Think the eibachs will have to come first though

K
:evil2:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Nice read Karlos, you sure know how to spend he cash :)

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Mate, I'm impressed, very impressed. Think I'll just copy & paste this thread for my to do list ! I can highly recommend wanner69's front fog protectors, but personally have gone for yellow on a silver Type S, too much time spent on French roads !
I can also highly recommend a 6 paddle clutch & LuK flywheel from CG Motorsports in Leeds. They really know their stuff. Had the clutch in just 3 days & 150 miles and barely notice a judder. No remap yet, though.
I'll be going to Premier Tuning, also in the Great Republic of Yorkshire, who''ll do you a better remap than Celtic at a cheaper price, and also throw in a full Honda diagnostics check, (£90 @ a dealer apparentley).
That's a no-brainer in my book.[smilie=smack.gif]
Looks like you'll be taking the missus for a weekend up north soon then ? :D

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
How is it a better remap than celtics? Have you compared the power curves

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Coste1/,

I meant a Stage 2 192bhp/325lbs/ft) remap. And was referring to the power/cost ratio. I know Celtic have gone to a stage 3, pushing 375/400 lbs/ft ???, but I really think that's pushing the limits of the car and would require serious investment in all other areas.

Regards,

Neil

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
coste1/,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. You are far better informed on this subject than I am, and I would be very grateful for your direction. My opinion is purely based on a very competitive quote from Premier, who is less than 10 miles from me.

Regards,

Neil

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
No worries mate the celtic map holds more power for longer than the elite one therefore assuming car weight is equal the celtic tuned car is faster. Take a look through some of relics posts about comparisons for more info. If i was choosing between the two i would take celtics stage 2. Im not saying elites map isnt good but the celtic one is the faster of the two.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Its a good deal mate. The file only deal from celtic is very cheap as well.

tbh I wouldn't know what to do with a "file only" deal.

I went to the Malthouse meet today and had a very good conversation with "Wely", now running a very nice Lexus hybrid, who had a Civic 2.2 with a Celtic remap. He was extremely complementary about both the map & service. I'm very attracted to the idea of an engine specific map, rather than a generic one. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

btw I'm in your area 2-3 times a week, so will keep an eagle eye out for the "Noddy Monster" !

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Lol no worries buddy! File only is easy do your research ;)

Wouldn't a "file only" from Celtic be the same as a Premier remap ? Wely said that Celtic had 5 or 6 variations of each remap, mapped each customer's engine and then matched it to the most appropriate remap. I've just cleared my available funds on a 6 paddle clutch & flywheel from CG, in preparation for a remap. Still undecided as to which way to go ? Or should I come and see you ?
And should I be calling you Lee ? From Linda @ CG...:questionmark:

1 - 20 of 589 Posts