2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've already introduced us in the "introduce yourself" section but I thought I would start a thread in here. Katie & I picked up her new car yesterday and I thought it a good idea to keep a record of her adventures and whatnot.

The car as mentioned in the other thread is a very late, 2011 FN2 Civic Type-R. The Type-R was a totally left-field choice for us, we were looking at Minis, Golfs and other such cars but the front runner there (MINI Cooper S) was really being let down by the dealer. So, as Mini in Colchester are right next door to Glyn Hopkin (Honda/Mitsubishi) I thought we'd go over. I asked about a Type S, wondering if they had enough power (they don't) and so enquired about a Type R. A new one was beyond budget, but they had just one of the FN2 shape in stock. It looked cool, in blue with black alloys - but was at Romford. They had it brought up the following day for us to test drive.

Honestly, the dealer's photos were awful. They were taken as the light was fading and did the car no justice at all. I was worried Katie would hate the car, because the interior looked poor in pictures, and I knew she had concerns about rear visibility. I thought she wouldn't think it was quick enough, as after a turbocharged Mini an 8,000rpm no-torque screamer is unlikely to feel ballistic.

However, after a short drive Katie came back with a big smile on her face. I took the car out and was really impressed. I liked the steering, the interior was a good place to be (and I didn't mind the colour combo either), in the light the colour of the car looked stunning (it's hard to photograph properly). It wasn't the quickest car ever - but get it on VTEC and it moved well enough. It handled great and the gearshift is one of the nicest I've used in any car. So, we haggled a bit, got a great deal and signed on the line.

Here it is on collection day, a hideous day to be sure!

We drove the car from Colchester to Cambridge, sharing driving duties. It performed fairly well on the motorway - being a bit stiff but not unbearably so. It returned about 32mpg average (according to the OBC) which was good - especially as I was having fun in it most of the way. The car has really impressed to with how practical it is - it's a class up from the Mini and infinitely more practical.

We probably need to keep it fairly standard due to our warranty, however Katie's already talking about a Double DIN setup, I'm looking at getting a dark headliner and I fancy the sound (literally) of a Mugen air intake....

We're also very much looking forward to being part of the Jap car family - a scene I had only really watched from a distance until now!

Best
James

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Really nice car, dont get too excited by the sound of the mugen intake, ive got one and its exactly the same if not quieter than the stock box... It is however one of the best performing and the engine does feel more free and responsive, especially when travelling towards the upper end of the speedo ��

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does sound pretty decent as stock, you really do need to keep it in VTEC to get a move on, but that's the appeal I guess. It certainly makes my M3 feel fairly torquey!

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I used to feel kinda special driving my champ white, but that colour is considerably rarer I believe so don;t be surprised if it gets some attention from other type R owners when you're driving about. If it were mine i'd be supercharging it and getting mugen parts on it as its such a lovely looking car, but each to his/her own :D

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've put this in the wrong section haven't I?

Mods help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts