2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Keeps turning over even with jump start?

Flat battery 
3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Bones126 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

After being away for 4 weeks I've come back to use my FK1 and unsurprisingly the battery was dead. I then jump started the battery using another car and let the car run for about 20 mins. I checked immediately after turning it off whether it would start up again and of course it didn't.

10 hours later I've gone back to use the car which still had a flat battery. I again went to jump start it but this time around the car constantly turns over on crank and won't start up. The alternator has been checked and it is supposedly charging the battery.

When I stop cranking it says 'Please check system' and shows the battery symbol.

Do we reckon the battery is just completely gone? Even if the battery was very low surely it should start with another vehicle jumpstarting it? Or am I mistaken?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Nope the keys weren't in. I connected the donor car while both were off and then I started the donor car let it run for about a minute and then tried starting the Civic to no avail. This is so frustrating :(
The battery is over 2 years old and Halfords brand :/

#6 ·
It's my experience that the car should jump start off the other car as you are effectively using that battery power, the only things I can think of;
Are the jump leads good quality and connected correctly, have you cleaned the terminals etc?
Is it flooded? - In which case keep the throttle fulling to the floor while cranking?
Is there fuel getting to cylinders? - Not sure if it's diesel or petrol, if diesel pump the fuel primer/bubble in engine bay until hard.
Is the immobilizer turning off correctly? Did you open the car by key fob or key?
Obvious things, assure all lights are turned off including interior lights while trying to jump start.

Hope it helps if you haven't already tried any of this.

#12 ·
The jump leads are of very good quality.
I tried putting my foot down while cranking.
There was definitely fuel coming through.
As for opening the car I had to use the key because the I couldnt use the fob. Would this be a factor which stops the car from starting?
I'm also going to buy a battery charger while I'm at it just in case.

#10 ·
With the car hooked up to another battery/jump lead to another vehicle I'd: check for a spark, pull any plug lead from spark plug and stick a spare spark plug in lead, then crank engine over. If spark visable, I'd take off air filter cover and spray some easy start down air intake when engine is cranked over (replace plug lead )

Reactions: Bones126
#11 ·
Good call, or they could just be fowled up now through continuously trying to start it.

#15 · (Edited)
Does it really make a difference, other than for safety reasons, being that you are less likely to get a short. There is no electrical circuit between the two cars and no current can flow until the second lead is connected. I can't see that it makes any practical difference (other than for safety) which order you connect the duff battery to the donor car.
If there is a good scientific electrical reason for doing it the way Honda tell you to (positive first), please inform me without any safety based mumbo jumbo.

#17 ·
Ah, right, I see the meaning of the question now.:eek: Where you connect the connections to, is possibly important for the reasons that you give.

My manual says connect the neg to a specific engine mounting stud, (and so does the one for the G10 Civic) and not the battery neg.

I was meaning the order that you connect the leads. Pos first or neg first.

#19 ·
The 2017 Civic US HB gives instructions to connect the neg to a specific engine mounting bolt with the warning 'Do not connect this jumper cable to any other part'. So not just any old mounting bolt, but it doesn't say why.

#21 ·
Alot of it is, when the positive terminals of both cars have been connected, plus the donor negative terminal, the final negative connection made to the car to be jumped, should be away from its battery (i.e. not the battery -ve terminal) to eliminate the possibility of any spark igniting any hydrogen gas emitted from the battery

Reactions: M8TJT
#22 ·
have you managed to get it started?

#23 ·
Just an update to all. I've had recovery try and start it up to no avail. (Fyi to the guys above) my civic is 2006 and the donor car is from 2002 and we've used the battery terminals to jump start before with no problem.

We've taken it to the garage where they reckon it's either the immobilizer bugging out or a fuel issue. The recovery guy said it could be a coil pack. Seems like the spark plugs aren't working to their full capacity either so decided to give it a full service anyway just to eliminate all issues and prevent it happening again.

Once I hear back from them I will drop an update here in case this problem happens to anyone else.

Happy Monday!

#24 ·
Fingers crossed they sort for you.

#26 ·
Cheers all! They managed to sort it out for me. Looks like it was a combination of duff battery which reset everything in the car including the key needing programming due to immobilizer messing up. Spark plugs were barely working too.

Very strange considering the car has been well looked after by myself and serviced regularly.

Oh well it's all working perfectly fine now!

Bring on the winter :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.