2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm absolutly gutted. Have my Civic almost 3 years from new and never a problem. Then comes the bad snow. I was driving home from work and as i was driving through my housing estate the rear hit ice and slid round. The rear left impacted a kerb. It was a low speed impact 10kph at most but straight away something was wrong as steering wheel down on left to go straight.
Took car to get alignment checked and they confirmed rear left was miles out and that apparently the rear wheels cant be adjusted.
Have been in contact with dealer and worst case is a bent axle. And its could be fairly costly to repair. But they need to see the car to make a correct assesment. Also damage to alloy. Fingers crossed it not the worst case.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
sorry to hear this, hope it's not too expensive for you to repair. Can you claim off the local council for un-gritted roads being the cause?

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
No, you can't claim of the council... I very much doubt.

Likelyhood will be axle is bent... you can try and get a backstreet garage to make it straight... not easy, or obtain one from a breakers.

New, from a dealer, it'll be £1000's.... and an insurance job.

·
Grumpy Old Git ;)
362 Posts
sorry to hear this, hope it's not too expensive for you to repair. Can you claim off the local council for un-gritted roads being the cause?
Grit..... The saviour of all things slippy!

Even though the concentration of salt is small, and becomes useless at below -3 degrees.

Only the first few cars get the benefit of the grit, as there is a small increase in friction and nothing to do with the salt content.

Sent with the help of Tim Berners-Lee....

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
not sure you have quite understood the purpose of grit there - See here (first link I came across) -> Salt - the myths and the facts

Grit is not to aid traction at all (at least not directly) grit needs driving on to work - spread grit on compacted snow & you just get very small holes to the bottom = no help at all. it is the process of being moved about & slowly crushed by vehicular activity that makes the salt work over a larger area and effectively melt the compacted snow/ice. Salt works very well below -3 degrees (it does lose efficiency below -10) - VERY rare for it to be too cold for salt to work in the UK - tho some have seen temps low enough in the last week for that!

The key to the effectiveness of a road salting strategy is the continuing and regular vehicular use of the roads...

I live up a single track unmetalled dead end road with very little traffic - this makes salt practically useless - this is why I have a set of winter alloys with M&S rated tyres and a set of chains in the boot :wink3:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Have been in contact with dealer and worst case is a bent axle. And its could be fairly costly to repair. But they need to see the car to make a correct assesment. Also damage to alloy. Fingers crossed it not the worst case.
Any progress on this? I've got a suspiciously similar problem, took it for an alignment but no go due to fixed rear axle. Dealer basically laughed and said the alignment was dodgy. :facepalm:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any progress on this? I've got a suspiciously similar problem, took it for an alignment but no go due to fixed rear axle. Dealer basically laughed and said the alignment was dodgy. :facepalm:
All fixed now. Damaged axle, hub and hub spindle. And a new alloy. Around €2500 parts and labour.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank god for no claims protection. But i'm still expecting an increase of some sort in insurance

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ooft mate, that's a gutter.
Yeah but she is as good as new now. Great customer service from dealer. Just my luck. If the angle of the impact had of been different the tyre may have taken the energy but the alloy took a direct hit and sent the energy through the hub and axle.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Glad you got it all sorted out in the end, it all seems a bit crazy to me how easily this can be done.
There is several cases of bent axles on this forum alone from low speed incidents, did they cut some costs in this area too? Mmm..

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Yeah but she is as good as new now. Great customer service from dealer. Just my luck. If the angle of the impact had of been different the tyre may have taken the energy but the alloy took a direct hit and sent the energy through the hub and axle.

Nice one, mate. Hopefully doesn't affect your insurance too much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts