2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can anyone tell me can i just change the battery in the key fob or do i have to mdo any thing perticular because of the immobiliser cheers

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
I think battery is charged in the key fob while driving. Few times happened to me and I had to unlock the car via key (red indicator on key wasn't showing any signs) and after starting and driving key works normal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
they are changable, just one screw and the backing unclips. you then remove the transponder and split that in half to expose the battery. if you are unsure about removing the battery any honda dealer will do it for very little or perhapse free if you buy the battery from them.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
...any honda dealer will do it for very little or perhapse free if you buy the battery from them.
Yep, but the battery will come in a big box, with a Honda logo on it, and cost probably around £150... :rolleyes:

K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The cr1616 is the right battery but I'm sure is not rechargable. Just ordered one from amazon £1.28 inc delivery.

My spare key isn't working, will not unlock remotely the LED does light when a button is pressed. Suggesting a flat battery, but I've taken the old battery out and it still has 3Volts in it so suspect the transmitter is faulty. We'll see what happens when the new battery arrives!! It's worth a try :confused:

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can take it to a watch repair place to fit another battery they would charge about £6 or do it yourself easy enough but you must replace the battery within 30 seconds otherwise it will reset itself then you will need to go to Honda and it will cost.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So the replacement battery arrived from Amazon after just two days, easily install, press of a button and the led in the fob lights up, looking good, now to program. Amazed, no programming was needed it just worked!! Even with the old flat battery being out of the fob for several hours!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I didnt want to start a new thread so bought back to life this old one.

If i change the battery will the key work straight away? I am abit wary because i had a seat before and i changed the battery but then it needed re-programming, which was a hassle.

Is there a time limit to how kong the battery is out? Does the key need some ritual where you turn it in the door lock and hold a button?

I dont have much confidence re changing key batteries so thanks for any replies

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I don't think there's any risk removing and changing the battery in the key, in my best knowledge the code is saved in the key no matter how log the key is without power.

When I made my flip key I have removed the battery, from the key for servile days, and when I was done getting the key together, I just put a battery in, and the key worked straight away.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Some of the dealers use cheap ones.

That said, Panasoinc aren't expensive if you go to the right stores.

BTW just to add to this thread, my fob has recently failed - electronics not battery. I've been authorised a new key under warranty - well worth noting for those with warranties as without its about £130.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts