2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking at changing my poor excuse, throwback to the 90's key for a flip key. I purchased a key (the one most recommend which arrived today, have to say it looks oem and professional so I'm impressed.

During my usual routine of browsing the website most evenings at what everyone is doing to there Civic's I was reading about the flip key conversion and notice people offering the soldering of the transponder.

I took my spare key opened it up and literally there is a little transponder unit, no chip visible, just the buttons and a little unit.

Can anyone confirm whether any work does need to be done to the key? My car is a Civic Type S GT 2011 model.

Any help would be appreciated :)

James

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Sorry, can't be of much help here but can you link me to the key you purchased, please?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Caution

BE VERY CAREFULL OF EBAY FLIP KEYS, WITH THE ONE I PURCHASED THE BLADE WAS TOO SHORT AS I FOUND OUT TO MY COST.
The transponder has to be desoldered off the board and extended by adding wires, if you dont extend it the immobiliser will not let the car start as in the flip key the transponder is further away from the signal reception antenna in the ignition barrell than the original key.
MAKE SURE THE BLADE OF THE FLIP KEY IS AT LEAST 48MM LONG

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BE VERY CAREFULL OF EBAY FLIP KEYS, WITH THE ONE I PURCHASED THE BLADE WAS TOO SHORT AS I FOUND OUT TO MY COST.
The transponder has to be desoldered off the board and extended by adding wires, if you dont extend it the immobiliser will not let the car start as in the flip key the transponder is further away from the signal reception antenna in the ignition barrell than the original key.
Thank you for your help, the case I bought seems to be the same as what others have bought but I will check length in a minute!

Ah sounds like a bit of work to me, I better look into this a bit more :/

Thanks for the heads up :)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
have you done this? do you have any photo's to see where the additional cable need to be soldered? i think this is the problem on my flip key... thanks mate!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.