2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, first post here!

The key fob on my 2006 Civic 1.8 has recently started showing symptoms of flat battery (the remote central locking doesn't always work). Thing is, the spare key is at my parents' house, 2 hours away from where I live and I don't plan on going there until a little over one week. If I were to be so unlucky to have the battery die before that, would I still be able to unlock the car manually and drive it without the alarm going off? I'd rather not attempt to change the battery without the spare key around...
And yes, I know how moronic it is of me to not have the spare key where I live.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Same thing has been happening to me for a couple of days now. You can manually unlock with the key on the drivers door. I’ve had to do that to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I bought my car it came with two keys, one which the previous owner had been using, and one which was brand new but had never been used. The second one never had a battery in it and didn't look like it ever had.

Anyway, long story short I bought a battery and popped it in, it works perfectly and now I'm using it as my main key, with the older one as a spare. There's no setting up of immobiliser, no programming, it just worked when I put a battery in it.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,394 Posts
I rotate my keys every year. That way equal wear and tear on keys and barrel. Plus battery's get used / replaced together so I know both keys good and don't have to try and remember which key had a new battery last. For the cost of two CR2032 .....
I also scratch 1 on one key and .......... 2 on the other. Odd number gets used on odd years and you get where this is going.

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Replaced both my batteries last year after 5 years use, no problems.

I do the same, every year I rotate them just prior to the service.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I will do that eventually, but I'm not gonna attempt it without the spare key in case something goes awry.
Well if something goes awry aren't you just in the same situation as a flat battery? What's there to lose!

The very worst scenario is someone posts you the spare key on overnight insured delivery.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
i'm sure the fob battery is designed to be replaced by the owner, thus it has to be an idiot proof process.
just make sure the battery goes in the correct way around :p

if your really worried, open a door or window before changing battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if something goes awry aren't you just in the same situation as a flat battery? What's there to lose!

The very worst scenario is someone posts you the spare key on overnight insured delivery.
Well, yeah I guess. I just wanna be ready in case the key requires reprogramming the immobiliser or something. (I know it doesn't, but still I'd rather be safe than sorry.)

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I rotate my keys every year. That way equal wear and tear on keys and barrel. Plus battery's get used / replaced together so I know both keys good and don't have to try and remember which key had a new battery last. For the cost of two CR2032 .....
I also scratch 1 on one key and .......... 2 on the other. Odd number gets used on odd years and you get where this is going.

arn't the batteries for the 2006 civic CR1616 ?

i thought it worth mentioning just in case they go out and buy 2032's :)

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,394 Posts
The 9G are 2032's.
I believe that anybody in a 8G would need 1616.
I use Renata battery's from Switzerland I get off eBay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts