2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says just had my car in at Honda dealer I asked for them to change the key fob battery on one key no bother on the other key the screw is threaded and couldn't remove it they said they didn't want to drill it because it could damage the key anyone any ideas on removal or the cost of another key cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww great Mike cheers maybe give it a bash then thanks

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
As the title says just had my car in at Honda dealer I asked for them to change the key fob battery on one key no bother on the other key the screw is threaded and couldn't remove it they said they didn't want to drill it because it could damage the key anyone any ideas on removal or the cost of another key cheers

I use a small soldering iron to heat the screw while applying pressure to open the case, once the area around the screw is warm enough the case will open.
I then use a set of small pliers to remove the screw, they use thread lock when manufacturing and sometimes if not enough pressure is used or the wrong type of screwdriver is used you will strip the head.
99% of the time I can then reassemble the key and you wouldnt notice, if a new key is required you can pick them up quite cheaply off a well know auction website but you would need to get it cut as the blade is none transferable.
You could always go the full hog and click my signature and i'll sort the rest lol.
If you would like my help with any of the above just give us a shout.

Wardy

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a small soldering iron to heat the screw while applying pressure to open the case, once the area around the screw is warm enough the case will open.

I then use a set of small pliers to remove the screw, they use thread lock when manufacturing and sometimes if not enough pressure is used or the wrong type of screwdriver is used you will strip the head.

99% of the time I can then reassemble the key and you wouldnt notice, if a new key is required you can pick them up quite cheaply off a well know auction website but you would need to get it cut as the blade is none transferable.

You could always go the full hog and click my signature and i'll sort the rest lol.

If you would like my help with any of the above just give us a shout.

Wardy

Cheers wardy I think that's the problem the screw head was stripped they said they couldn't get a turn on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts