2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just been sorting through spare keys etc. and found my spare Honda key had ended up on different ring to the one it originally came on.

Now I'm a bit puzzled as to whether I have located the unique identifier tag issued with the keys when you get the car. I need to make sure it's what I think it is, in case I lose the keys at any time.

Can anyone confirm if it's a small white oblong tag with a barcode across most of it (lengthways) with a letter / 3 digit code across the top (widthways)??

If I'm right, then I can sleep easily knowing that I've located the right one!!

Thanks,
KJ
KJ

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
For me, it's similar.
White tag with big barcode, and on bottom one letter and 3 numbers (like 'A111').

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Fellas,

I thought this was probably it, but as I've accumulated more spare keys than your average jailer over a period of time, I wasn't sure whether this was the tag relating to the spare Honda keys.

A big thanks for the clarification, I'll ensure it is on the ring with the spare key now, seperate from all the others on the bunch!!

Cheers,
KJ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi All,

Just a quick follow-up (without wishing to sound paranoid!) I've had another look at what appears to be the Civic key tag, my description was slightly out as the number is actually written vertically down the length of the tag (not across the width as per my original description) beneath the barcode.

Hopefully I'm still right in my assumption that this is the correct item????

A very crude diagram (which keeps going out of alignment!!) as shown below (the 'O' is the hole for the keyring).
---------------

Cheers,
KJ

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Is the same number not also stuck in the service book?

I think mine is

·
Registered
243 Posts
I didn't get one of these when I picked my car up yesterday. I was so excited I forgot to check and only thought of it when I got home.

Bloody dealer now shut until Tuesday, so in a slight panic should I misplace keys etc. (Not that I ever have but my mind likes to think the worst!).

Presuming the dealer has lost this, is this number obtainable from Honda via the chassis number or by some other means?

You hear all sorts of stories of having to change imbolissor and locks etc in the worst case scenario.

Car is suberb , but of course also have obligatory scrathes on dash and speedo persplex. Have to have a moan about this as well.

Feedback welcome.

Cheers and Happy Easter
SPUD

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Hi Spud
You should have a tag attached to your spare key. also the number should be in your service book inside front cover under vehicle data.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Spud
You should have a tag attached to your spare key. also the number should be in your service book inside front cover under vehicle data.
Hi Dalboy

No tag attached to my keys and they never bothered to fill in the details in the service book either. Lazy sods!

Rang the stupid dealer and he said they can replace the keys based on the chassis number so its not an issue. I don't believe him though.

Any one know if this is feasable?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just had the following email from the parts manager - so this issue is now cleared up :-

"
hi barry ,

in ref. to your query about the spare keys in the new civics.

Yes a spare key can be ordered off the chassis no. direct , and programmed up in any honda dealer

You do not need a key tag as like previous honda civics required ."

So no worries here about lost tags and getting immobilsiers replaced etc folks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts