2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My wife has a 2018 Type R which she leaves parked on our driveway overnight. In the early hours of this morning someone tried to steal it.
They were spotted and reported by a neighbour and although they got into the car quite easily, spoofing the key-less entry, the police turned up before they could start it.

The thing is, my wife keeps her key in a 'faraday bag' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minder-Signal-Blocker-Blocking-Protection/dp/B078D6NMKC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536048899&sr=8-2&keywords=Minder+Signal+Blocker) which I've tested and does appear to work. The spare key however is not in a bag. I assumed that as it was kept upstairs on the other side of the house it would be fine, but I guess the thieves just circle the house trying to get a signal.

I'd recommend everyone get some sort of signal blocking for their keys to help protect against this.

For me, I'll start putting the car in the garage. The reason it has been left on the drive is simply due to it being a very wide car and it's a pain to first get it into the garage, and then have enough room to get out of the car!

Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Fortunate that they didn't get away.

Still, I don't know why these flawed keyless systems are still in production - I would actively avoid at this point.
I could understand a constant locking signal; I.e. Automatic locking when the key is distant, but constantly broadcasting an "unlock signal" that can be relayed and used to unlock the car is a very big security dent for very little convenience gain.

It could be worth considering something like a parking pole.

·
i-Vtec
1,506 Posts
Bugger thats not so good fella, at least they never got your car. As haltamer says maybe a security pole, or a Disclock still comes very high up in theft tests. BTW if your worrying about putting it in your garage buy yourself a roll of carpet underlay and line the walls to stop damage to the bodywork.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
The distance range of these new keys is far to great. When I first had my 10G in March I was innocent about keyless and thought "thats nice" and kept the keys in my trouser pocket when in the house. Kept getting flashing lights on the car when it was on the drive. I even took the car back to the dealer and they said nothing wrong with it but don't leave your keys in your pocket. One morning I went out to work and the sun roof and windows were all fully open and I didn't know if it happened before I went to bed or when I got up in the morning, but at sometime the unlock button must have got a long press when it was in my pocket. My wife had also seen the lights flashing when I was in the kitchen at the back of the house some 25-30 ft away. I now keep both sets of keys in a farady pouch when not using the car and don't keep a key in my trouser pocket when at home.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick update - they got someone in custody for the theft attempt.

I've put the car in the garage tonight and can just about manage to squeeze in and out of it. I carpeted the walls as was suggested a couple of weeks ago - I spent this morning clearing all the other garage junk out of the way.

I have to say, as flawed as this keyless entry may be, I'm now thinking about making sure it's a feature on my next car. I just see a benefit in not having had anyone need to come into the house to take the car. When my EP3 civic went about 10 years ago I didn't sleep soundly for months after due to them having come into the house while I was in bed.

I'm not sure about the disc locks - I imagine they are quite cumbersome to fit when parking and then stow away when driving. The thought of either my wife or myself taking chunks out of the steering wheel / dash when trying to fit it puts me off.

Collapsible bollards on my drive are something I'm looking at but for now I think putting the car in the garage and the keys in a security bag are my best bet.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
if they want it bad enough they will take it
im not a fan of stuff like keyless entry and start
as its been proven its a tea leafs dream

by the way if anyone fancys a audi q3 the dick whos our health and safety guy at work leaves his unlocked with the key card in the centre consoul and boasts about it
if ever there was a car id like to see get pinched its that 1

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,354 Posts
sik2k

To stop my doors getting damaged when opening in garage I glued thick foam pads (dunelm mill) to the walls. Tho carpet would help you slide better along the walls when getting in/out. Mind you don't get carpet burns tho or you may have some explaining to do !! Must be a bugger to vacuum.
But I would get a big spot light that lights up the garage door when approached to deter anybody thinking of having another go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Red Dwarf, I'm currently looking into the 'smart home' / home security options like cameras & floodlights.

I'm also thinking about a mirror inside the garage so I can get really snug to the passenger side wall when I drive in.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Glad they didn't get away with it, as for Disklock. I have one, it's not that bad of a hassle tbh. So far I have not seen any signs of wear or damage to the steering wheel and I've been using it a year. The Disklock is proven to be the best mechanical anti theft device out there and also the best deterrent, backed by the police and insurers. The only problem you have I can see is, if they want it that bad, then they'll start breaking in for the disklock key! But that's a different level of theft and it will deter the opportunists.

Or as you have done, put it in the garage out of sight :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know what possibilities you have in your local area but I have in my car secondary anti-theft system (i dont know if i can say brand name here to not make any advertising) which makes car impossible to steal by normal methods, the only way is to take it by crane or by tow car...

Essentially it is a small, lets call it, connector (about 5x3cm and 1cm thick, similar to IDE PC connector but more robust and nice looking) and you have a small plug where you put it, very same as a key. It has about 12 pins = 2x6 cables, and these are linked around the cables very very deeply in the car all are messed up and all are same color and tied together with standard cables and no way to know which is which and where, and these are unplugging critical systems as start button, fuel pump, ignition, electric handbrake, OBD, and many other things even i do not know.

So what it does is very sophisticated "kill switch" but the pins on connector are messed up, and noone knows what pins should be connected together to make it work (only your key knows), and if you try to mess up and crack it, you even make things worse... so you just unplug your "key" after parking your car and you are safe against theft :)

there are more different variations, the basic one which only prevents the starting of the car, and also some more advanced ones - like after you wont plug your key after opening doors in 30seconds it starts beeping and so on, or also G sensing for towing it etc,

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I've not gone 10G for exactly the same reason, too wide for my garage as well.

If you reverse in you can get a lot closer to the garage wall, with practice. I now park my 9G with the rear arch and passenger mirror about 1" or 2" from the wall.

I also have a painted line which is where I stop, when the passenger mirror lines uo with it. The end result is that it's as far left and as far forward to give me max room around it.

I can park like this every time:

https://www.civinfo.com/forum/2485041-post14.html

Also, if you get the Honda Dongle that will show where your car is. It's a sort of mini tracker amongst other things.

As far as CCTV is concerned, I like the wired Netgear ArloQ. Don't get the battery powered units, they need frequent changing apparently. They can be set to send you an alert if they detect movement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kremmen, that's what you call close to the wall!

I've kind of got the hang of getting it in now and adding some lighting inside the garage would help matters even more. I have something in mind for that.

I've purchased a couple of Ring floodlight cameras for outside the house. They should also help me with my own car which I have on the driveway overnight, next to the garage my wife's Civic is in.

I have to say Wiliks, the item you're suggesting does sound interesting but I've always been one for keeping my main cars as standard as possible. For me personally, I'd be doubly cautious to make any electrical changes.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I hadn't heard about this caper until recently and my Sport Plus is the first keyless car I've owned. Went into a blind panic when I saw an article on-line and immediately ordered some faraday pouches. In the meantime, while waiting for them to arrive, I'd read that people put their keyless fobs in the back of the microwave, so I did that.

Needless to say, it is a stonkingly good idea to remember you've done that and take them out before shoving some baked beans in to heat up. The guy at the service desk nearly ruptured something laughing when went in to order a new key fob.

Sigh.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,354 Posts
An old knackered microwave (unplugged) as a key safe? Family may have one lying around waiting trip to tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Where would that be connected. Doesn't the car requires 24x7 battery to keep some functions alive.

I'm happier without keyless. As I approach the car I press a button to get in. No hassle to me. Also putting the key in the hole and turning it is no hassle.

I've always been suspicious about car security. You buy a car, it gets nicked so the insurance buys you another = they have sold another car, business sense.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Mine's been in a key safe since new, for that reason - quite worrying with the signal booster getting enough signal to open it from there.

Al.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts