2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Be interesting to do a similar test with a faraday cage to make sure they work as advertised.
More than happy to do that, K. You gonna buy me one to test?

I'll try sealing the tin properly with some foil across the top before putting the lid on and then again by wrapping the key in silver foil. I'll report back.
I've read stuff about these Faraday bags/pouches, and peeps recon they work for a while but then stop working well as the fastening wears.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Seen these on Amazon. Don't know if they work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GZ19MQZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

I do have some contactless credit card wallets, and they certainly work (at least the ones I have) - I work in retail and have tried them at work. Even with the card pressed against the reader, if it's in the wallet, it doesn't work. Car keys may be different though as the signal is probably much stronger. I imagine with car keys they probably chirp at 1 second intervals rather than transmit continuously to save power. Each chirp is probably milliseconds but a few milliwatts of power to give sufficient distance to activate the doors from several feet.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
The pouches do work, it's just a hassle of putting the keys in the wallets all the time.

I have 3 and can't be bothered lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I got these and they work great:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DP4KTZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

HOWEVER, the one I use most of the time has become temperamental (sometimes I can still get in the car without taking it out of the bag) but I think that is down to the fact I've been folding it up in my pocket and therefore it no longer seals properly...

I'll probably buy a couple more and only keep them for when the car is at home rather than using them as a place to store my key when I am out and about.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Given the well publicised security risk why don't manufacturers ditch keyless ?

If I parked outside I'd rather press a button and turn a key than be forced to fit and remove a steering wheel lock every night or be concerned the faraday cage wasn't 100%

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Why on earth would you want to unlock your car with your phone. Having said that, I suppose it saves you carrying your car keys with you/loosing them.
Funny you say that, A colleague at work has a recent Jag and his can be opened by his phone anywhere and can even be started. Also he can remotely physically open his tailgate as its motor driven.

But a reply to the main thread starter have you looked at BlackJax by Clifford. Had a local installer demo me it on his T6 Transporter. Video demo below:

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Lucky owner:
A. The car jacker drove the car quite some distance. (Shorter time delay?)
B. Lucky the car jacker tossed the keys back into the car. (????)

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I thought it was lucky he tossed the keys back into the car - I'd have broken the key or thrown it out of spite!!

Distance - probably a good thing - permits some distance from the 'owner' - carjacker could get violent and force the owner to decode and restart it ...

Quite nice.

Al.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
On the keyless entry thing ... any of you 'married with children' like me?

I'm certain the answer is YES.

Thing is, I'll often get in, waiting for them, but if I don't switch the radio on, etc., after a while, it locks, then deadlocks me in!!
Only way out is to start the car, and it unlocks again.

Basically I unlock, open the door - passenger's or driver's (2 different types of unlock) - and sit in, close the door, and wait for the family to get their act together.

Imagine simply entering to 'hoover' up, when it gets really grim / cold / rainy?
You're not going to leave the door open.

I understand if you remotely open, then do nothing, it'll lock after perhaps 1 minute, but not if you've unlocked, then entered surely.

I'm accepting as potentially useful for now, and 'work around it', but if it becomes too annoying, I'll have to hunt the sub-menus, or simply take it to Honda to re-program.

Al.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
I'll just pop out and test this on mine.
Unlock with key fob. Open driver's door. Toss the key inside. Close driver's door. Wait a while with the spare key to hand in case it locks?

Mine will not lock anyhow if a key is inside it. (not sure about using the spare though. I'll check that first.

EDIT: As expected. The car does not auto lock, nor can I lock it withe the spare fob. There must be something wrong with yours.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
I have been doing some experimenting over the last couple of days and my findings are:

1. Wrap the fob in a couple of layers of kitchen foil = total protection. The buttons don't open the car. You cannot open the car with the key nearby. You cannot start the car even with the wrapped fob held against the 'Start' button in the 'flat battery' procedure.

2. Key fob in a 50gm tobacco tin. This reduces the range by about half for the handle grab open (pressing buttons is not possible with it in the tin). The car will start as the key appears to be in the car when it is.

2. One of THESE Faraday bags. You MUST put the key in the rear pocket as shown in the ad or it doesn't work to protect the car. The buttons do not unlock the car, even from close range (against the windscreen or door handle). The car will not unlock by grabbing the handle. Once inside, the car will not start unless you do the 'flat battery' routine of holding the key against the 'Start' button whereby it does start.

3. Remove the battery from the fob. The buttons do not work, neither does the 'handle grab' unlock. The car will start using the 'flat battery' routine.

Hope someone finds these findings useful.

Note on Faraday bags. It is reported in the item feedback that these 'wear out' after a few weeks/months. I suspect this is because the screening wears, either in the vicinity of the hinged closure or the actual screening due to wear by other attached keys.

My suggestion would be to only put the fob in it at night when the car is parked, rather than all the time when you are a long way from the car (in the shops for example).

It is also possible that peeps don't put the fob in the correct location within the bag (rear pocket).

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I'll just pop out and test this on mine.

Mine will not lock anyhow if a key is inside it. (not sure about using the spare though. I'll check that first.

EDIT: As expected. The car does not auto lock, nor can I lock it withe the spare fob. There must be something wrong with yours.
It does seem a strange one.
I try to avoid it, but when I've been 'caught' it's 'deadlocked' me in - I cannot simply pull the door handle to open the door, nor can I move the lock-unlock lever, then pull the door handle. I need to start the engine - normal way and all unlocks - fine.

It's not a regular occurrence and I don't have the time to fath around with dealerships, but may have to confirm this happens, then have that conversation ...

Thanks for your time.

Al.

PS Don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm NOT using the fob to open, just my hand in the driver's - or passenger's - door handle. When it autolocks, the fob cannot unlock it. It does unlock, if I remember, when I start up the engine. If I remember at the weekend, I might try again. If it is a 'security thing', then surely I shouldn't be able to start the engine whereupon it unlocks .... WEIRD!! Perhaps I've got it wrong, but I will verify.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Note on Faraday bags. It is reported in the item feedback that these 'wear out' after a few weeks/months. I suspect this is because the screening wears, either in the vicinity of the hinged closure or the actual screening due to wear by other attached keys.
Yep, this is essentially what I said above. The one that has the spare key in is pristine and works perfectly. The other one, that I put in my pocket every day, seems to be letting a weak signal out as when I test it sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I suspect having it in my pocket folded has damaged it over time. :-(

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm NOT using the fob to open, just my hand in the driver's - or passenger's - door handle
Not sure how I opened the car in my test above, possibly by using the button on the fob, but I usually do the 'grab the handle to open' method.
I'll have another go tomorrow. Just to make sure that I replicate your scenario, unlock the car with the handle grab method, get in and twiddle my thumbs for a few mins to see if it auto locks?

I am sure that opening the driver's or front PAX door is supposed to disable the autolock (not sure about rear doors though)

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
How difficult would it be to put an off switch on the fobs for when keyless isn't required, overnight being a prime example.

As I've posted before, I'm sure manufacturers have a hidden agenda and I'm sure it's all about selling more cars (to insurance companies).

41 - 60 of 103 Posts