2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Keyless Entry ...

7K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  M8TJT 
#1 ·
Not a Bug or Gripe, but Irritation!!

Weather being what it is, and despite what is stated officially, I wanted to warm up the car for the kids' ride to school, whilst ensuring the warm water used to clear the windows didn't ice over - only takes a few seconds at minus 5C - I only use tepid / mildly warm water and HATE scraping and scratching.

I opened the car from the driver's door which only opens that - and fired up, to get the wipers moving before the water ices up on the windscreen.
Then once the boys were out I went to the passenger side, engine running, to open the front passenger door to unlock the back doors, which SHOULD unlock all - nothing doing!!

Strictly speaking, the Highway Code states the engine should be running only if you're in control - at the wheel - so the car is dictating again.

It wasn't WRONG, but was annoying!
Had to return to the driver's side and flick the switch to unlock - no problem there.

Al.

See less See more
#3 ·
This is the thing I'm noticing ....

Everything's on a programme somewhere, and can be changed ... possibly by a Clarkson clone, like I'm appearing at the moment ... who'll deny everything the next day, or week ...

Nice to know nevertheless ... just getting a little too clever and 'adjustable' it seems.

Al.

#6 ·
This is the thing I'm noticing ....

Everything's on a programme somewhere, and can be changed ... possibly by a Clarkson clone, like I'm appearing at the moment ... who'll deny everything the next day, or week ...

Nice to know nevertheless ... just getting a little too clever and 'adjustable' it seems.

Al.
From all your different discoveries and annoyances it sounds as if you should spend a little time reading the owners manual, it will enhance your enjoyment of your car.

#4 ·
you can change the lock behavior in the settings
there are two settings for two situation (button on key and button on handle)
Default setting: when the key is pressed for the first time (key or handle), only the front door is opened, the button must be pressed again to open all doors
you can set to open all doors for one click and you can set the key or handle separately

#5 ·
I'm often amazed by the ineptitude of the people who force these type of things on us.

There was a time when the doors auto locked at circa 6mph which was an anti-hijack feature. One of the ploys is to open your tailgate when stationary, then they drive off when you get out to close it.

The tailgate should auto lock regardless and also should any door that hasn't been opened. If the airbags go off then that should unlock all doors.

A bit of thought as it's all possible.

#7 ·
No offence taken (on my part), and fair point - but I do find the format of the manual somewhat tedious, but you're not wrong.

Here's one!!
This morning, I dropped the lads off at school, and with 1 hour before a dental appointment, I had time to drop some cards off at the Post Office - one was for Australia, so needed 'handling'.
Person handling the Post Office side wasn't in for another 15 minutes' time, so I returned to the car, still at minus 3C.

I keyless enter the driver's side, don't fire up, and press the display intensity to get the radio - on it comes.
Within ~1 minute - wasn't counting - the doors lock / arm, and the alarm goes off!!
I tried the start button - immobilised.
I took the fob out of my pocket and pressed unlock - alarm off, doors unlocked.

I had noticed that previously when keyless entering the driver's side, the mirrors would open when I opened the door (I always hold the lock button to fold them to avoid damage), but lately they weren't opening (no they weren't frozen closed as they would open when I fired up the engine).

Since 'the alarm event' this morning, the mirrors have folded out again on opening the driver's door.
I'm going to put it down to the cold and hope all is well ... but don't think this is a 'Manual Moment'!!

Al.

#10 ·
No offence taken (on my part), and fair point - but I do find the format of the manual somewhat tedious, but you're not wrong.

Here's one!!
This morning, I dropped the lads off at school, and with 1 hour before a dental appointment, I had time to drop some cards off at the Post Office - one was for Australia, so needed 'handling'.
Person handling the Post Office side wasn't in for another 15 minutes' time, so I returned to the car, still at minus 3C.

I keyless enter the driver's side, don't fire up, and press the display intensity to get the radio - on it comes.
Within ~1 minute - wasn't counting - the doors lock / arm, and the alarm goes off!!
I tried the start button - immobilised.
I took the fob out of my pocket and pressed unlock - alarm off, doors unlocked.

I had noticed that previously when keyless entering the driver's side, the mirrors would open when I opened the door (I always hold the lock button to fold them to avoid damage), but lately they weren't opening (no they weren't frozen closed as they would open when I fired up the engine).

Since 'the alarm event' this morning, the mirrors have folded out again on opening the driver's door.
I'm going to put it down to the cold and hope all is well ... but don't think this is a 'Manual Moment'!!

Al.
That sound very much like either your driver door switch was either stuck or perhaps frozen, as it obviously did not acknowledge the door opening. e.g mirror did not unfold and door relocked after 45-60 seconds and alarm reset.

Ref the manual. there are a few section that you can ignore as it has sections for the 2 types of audio (you have display audio) it has 2 sections on HFT (Again with display audio) and 2 sections for instrument meters (you have TFT meter)

#8 ·
These days you really do need several sittings to take in the manual.

I always try and blag the manual several weeks before I pick the car up to become acquainted.

Gone are the days when they are all the same.

#9 ·
A couple of the things I do whenever I get a new car is to set all doors unlock, and reset trip A on fuelling, followed by radio and phone set-up so that they are done before I drive the car away for the first time. Otherwise I find I am fiddling with them on the drive home, and you can't access all the menus unless stationary.

#12 ·
Regarding the mirrors unfolding, have you noticed they only unfold when the drivers door is opened? ie. if the passenger door or the tailgate is opened first they remain folded.
Also if they have not unfolded and you then open the drivers door they do not move, only unfolding when the ignition is started.
This is a nice touch and makes sense because it saves unnecessary wear and tear on the mechanism. :)

#13 ·
This is what was happening.
I'm used to them opening when I specifically open the driver's door.
I'm used to them NOT opening when opening the hatch or the passenger's door.

BUT

I was fairly certain that I had previously 'opened' the car - to permit entry to wife at the front, children at the rear, and then gone around to the driver's side, and when opening the driver's door, they opened.
This LATTER stage was not happening lately.

Perhaps I've just been going to the driver's door, hence the mirrors opening.
I'll see.
I like folding them - TOTALLY AGREED in limiting wear where not necessary, but the path is not the widest and hate the thought of some fumbduck knocking / damaging them.

Al.

#20 ·
Auto folding out of the mirrors is triggered by unlocking and opening of the drivers door, this operation only happens if the mirror were folded in my either keyless remote or exterior lock button double press.
If the mirror fold button is used on the mirror adjuster switch then the mirrors will stay folded until the switch is re-pressed.

#15 ·
Checked this evening departing from work.
1. Driver's door alone - mirrors open. I locked and folded the mirrors again.
2. Front passenger's door - all doors / hatch unlock - mirrors REMAIN CLOSED.
3. I then went back to the driver's door - opened it and the mirrors unfolded.

Looks like my ride had 'a frozen blonde moment' and now that the temperature's above zero again it's fine.
IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE that some water had frozen in the mechanism, but then why did it open once I fired up without problem - some slight crunching of ice from the join, that's all.

Don't think this is a car to possess in Mongolia!!
I was there when it was MINUS 20C midday! (Minus 30C midnight to 05:00).

I WANT TO BE WRONG, but this car might be too clever for the technology applied - almost a BL car!
Al.

#19 ·
Now that it's +4C, soaking wet, there's no problem again - as indicated in my car park experiment.
It's due to go cold again this weekend, but possibly not as cold - let's see if it manifests itself again.

As far as manuals go, I downloaded a US one 2 weeks before delivery and got halfway.
For my own, I do 'take a look' but do accept I could possibly do with spending less time on forums, more in the manual - but it's more boring that way!!

Al.

#22 ·
This is completely unrelated to the subject of this thread, simply an observation I made that will only be understood by the intended recipient.

Kremmen, I noticed that given the choice of "Like" or "Thanks" you chose to Like the post by Steve_m, so you must have considered it the more appropriate option.
Your understanding acknowledgement for my suggestion would have been most appreciated. :(

#23 ·
I 'liked' steve because he added an important bit that I forgot to mention.

On my 9G I always fold the mirrors, if I need to, via the long press on the keyfob. The auto opening of the mirrors does depend on how they were folded.

Perhaps a thanks may have been more appropriate.

I can't remember the last time I used thanks now the like is available.

#24 ·
I can't remember the last time I used thanks now the like is available.
That was my point, Like is probably more appropriate more often then Thanks is, although as you say in this case Thanks probably was more appropriate. :grin2:
I was just a bit disappointed that you never supported my suggestion or at least voiced your understanding for it. I have been a member here far longer than over there after all. :)

Not wanting to hijack this thread so I will say no more about it.

#25 ·
Deliberately tested this today.
1. Approached my locked car then opened and closed the tailgate - mirrors remained folded - completely normal.
2. Opened drivers door and got in - mirrors remained folded - completely normal.
3. Started engine - mirrors unfolded - completely normal.

The point I was making earlier is that for some unknown reason the mirrors will unfold at step 2 on very rare occasions. Maybe with all the hi tech this car has it sometimes gets itself a little confused. :grin2:

#29 ·
I hope there are a few changes to the electronics before these cars are sent to really cold climes!!
Mine had a field day this morning!!
Would not recognise my hand on the passenger side for keyless entry.
I could enter from the driver's side, then open the doors from the internal switch. My sons entered, then it locked the doors and set the alarm off!!
Quickly defused again with driver's door entry.
I always extinguish my headlamps manually the instant I switch off, perhaps this is why the mirrors remain closed even when I enter from the driver's side?
I was thinking it is temperature related, as in a sensor, but if that's the case, why do the mirrors instantly unfold the instant the engine is fired up?
I'll put these 'quirks' down to being too bloody complicated and the cold weather, but will keep an eye on it - don't think it would happen with a BMW or Merc somehow!!

Al.

#30 ·
I always extinguish my headlamps manually the instant I switch off, perhaps this is why the mirrors remain closed even when I enter from the driver's side
I usually manually switch off the headlamps after reversing into my garage, but mirrors always unfold when opening the drivers door next day.
If this thread has taught us anything.....it is best not trying to understand why certain things happen on our cars, because some of them seem to be completely random at times. :grin2:

#32 ·
Is this after having been parked outside - example here being overnight at negative Celcius values, possibly with frozen water where it shouldn't be - or overnight in the garage?

Mine ALWAYS unfolded when it was warmer, but since we've been hitting zero and a little below, opening via driver's door does not unfold the mirrors ... then just this afternoon, +2C I think in the car park, I open via the driver's door as normally, headlamps come on AND mirrors unfold!

It's going warmer and wetter the next couple of days so I'll still see if there's some form of 'trend'.
Tending to have to start to agree with above - random!

Al.

#34 · (Edited)
Just tried mine. Outdoors @-2C. Key in pocket. Grab driver's door handle. Doors unlock. Open driver's door. Mirrors unfold. No lights. Just as I expected and as what always happens. That was after locking it last night with a double press on the door handle button. Is there anything that you have included in your posts that I have missed other than the tepid water (Didn't need it as I wasn't going out) and the kids school run (Haven't got any now)?

PS. Same routine on passenger door. Mirrors do not unfold. Lights do not come on. As expected.

#37 ·
Regarding the lights coming on.....I think it was another thread where Al said his headlights come on and stay on when unlocking the car....not just a single flash or whatever.
I know there is a setting which can keep your headlights on for a set time after turning off the engine, the purpose being to illuminate your path when walking away from the car.
I am not aware of a feature which turns on the headlights upon unlocking the car though. Mine does not do this even in complete darkness, and to be honest I would hate it if it did.
If the headlights are working in this way then there must be a setting that can be turned on or off, and mine is off. :smile3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.