2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just been chatting to my Honda dealer and he told me a few weeks ago someone brought in a type R (didn't get how new, but it was still under warranty, so maximum 3 years??? maybe one of the last of the old style type R????). They [the owner] were wondering why it was lacking in power and overheating (a few other symptoms as well but, I can't remember them). They took it in and checked under the bonnet only to find the erm... 'wally' had put an induction kit on it (totally botched by all accounts, a 50 quid jobby from Halfrauds/Argos), and it was now sucking in hot air [Versus nice cold air] and contributing at least to the overheating of the engine...... they told the guy, sorry warranty has been voided, oops :oops:. The service guy's point was, Honda spend 1 Million pounds plus per day on R&D, how on earth did the guy think that some 50 quid kit from Halfrauds could improve on their efforts??????????

Thought someone may find this interesting. [smilie=cheeky-grin:

Tom

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Hi,

Just been chatting to my Honda dealer and he told me a few weeks ago someone brought in a type R (didn't get how new, but it was still under warranty, so maximum 3 years??? maybe one of the last of the old style type R????). They [the owner] were wondering why it was lacking in power and overheating (a few other symptoms as well but, I can't remember them). They took it in and checked under the bonnet only to find the erm... 'wally' had put an induction kit on it (totally botched by all accounts, a 50 quid jobby from Halfrauds/Argos), and it was now sucking in hot air [Versus nice cold air] and contributing at least to the overheating of the engine...... they told the guy, sorry warranty has been voided, oops :oops:. The service guy's point was, Honda spend 1 Million pounds plus per day on R&D, how on earth did the guy think that some 50 quid kit from Halfrauds could improve on their efforts??????????

Thought someone may find this interesting. [smilie=cheeky-grin:

Tom[/quote]

Yeh, That's the only problem with fiddling about with them when they are under warranty. Even if you know what you are doing and your mod's are spot on, it gives them (Honda) a reason to reject a warranty claim.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Granted you get what you pay for, but as the guy didn't have a clue how to fit it in the first place it could have cost a grand and still have knackered the engine.

Moral of the story is don't try messing about with your engine if you don't have a clue what your doing :)

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I thought was, it's a great car, no doubt there, it's fast and looks good, why fu*k it up with a dodgy induction kit????, if it needed one, Honda would have fitted it standard.

Tom

·
Registered
450 Posts
What I thought was, it's a great car, no doubt there, it's fast and looks good, why fu*k it up with a dodgy induction kit????, if it needed one, Honda would have fitted it standard.

Tom
There - in my view speaks the voice of sound common sense!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But he was a proper "boy racer" with a Type R, why bother bolting on some stupid 'inducshun kit' (that is how it's pronounced in Chav I believe) on it.

It's like bolting one on an F50, just silly and very pointless.

I would love to have seen his face when they told him his warranty was VOIDED, :lol:

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
yer, cheapo mods are stupid, especially when you have a decent car. However, the manufacturers cannot claim a void warranty, as it is against the law to do so, as manufacturers are NOT allowed to specify the make/model of air filter/induction kit put on a car - I work as a solicitor - and, as an avid car fan, more specifically a honda fan, i have looked into the issues of what the warranty does and doesn't cover. My R has been sent to K+N for them to model a brand new typhoon kit for the Euro civic. Should be a good bit of kit, once its out end of this year (hopefully).

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But if you've unbolted something and fitted a non-OEM part then surely that is grounds for voiding the warranty for that part????? I.e. no part connected with the induction (therefore the engine) can be claimed for. Am I right, wrong or mad?? :);)

Tom

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
But if you've unbolted something and fitted a non-OEM part then surely that is grounds for voiding the warranty for that part????? I.e. no part connected with the induction (therefore the engine) can be claimed for. Am I right, wrong or mad?? :);)

Tom
Your right Tom. The warranty terms and conditions state that you have to use OEM parts and it may even go as far as to state that it must be fitted or repaired by a authorised dealer in order to keep the warranty valid!

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
well, i posted above^ the answer = to unknownsoldier is - as honda say, if any problems arise with the car, after fitting the parts, if it is anything to do with your aftermarket product, it is correct to assume the warranty is out the window. However, if you fit an induction kit, but the ECU seems to have a problem, Honda cant come back to you and say, your aftermarket induction kit caused the problem, as it has to be something directly caused by the modification, i.e. if it was not there, it wouldnt have occured.
Yet, if you took your car to honda, with no problems with the car, and you showed them your engine bay, and said - look, there is my new air filter...they cannot turn around and say, excuse me, your warranty is now void. - hope ive cleared things up a bit!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts