2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i first start up the car it sounds OK, but when i move away over the bumps off of the drive i get a bad knocking (rattly) noise from the back of the car.

After a couple of mins its OK (yes i know it sounds like the shocks !)
Last time it went in they checked the shocks and claim they are fine....
The only other thing i can think of is the exaust system....

Any ideas ????

Going in for its service in a few weeks.....here`s the list i am giving them..

Air con - mind of its own....blows hot and cold and after 30 mins changes its mind !!! (possible faulty sensor ??)

Check Rear Shocks (again)

Check Exhaust (in case)

Fix Fuel Filler cap

Condensation in rear right light unit

Handbrake getting even looser

Overall i`m vey happy with the car (12000miles and ) and have not taken it in to get these sorted as they are all niggles really but need to be addressed under warranty, (the fuel filler is really anoying though......)
:D

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Mine also does this. I took it in originally, and they replaced the shocks. The SAME noise is now happening again, so it is the shocks. They dont make noise under any other circumstances other than driving backwards off the drive on start-up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine also does this only shortly after startup.

I only acquired the car in December and have been told when I took the car in for fuel filler replacement that there were no outstanding recalls so I guess the shocks are ok. So would also be interested if anyone else is experiencing the same problem and if anyone else has an idea of what it could be?

Marc

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
back again

my rattle first thing in the morning is back has s/a replaced noise is only just as you reverse of drive not that much of a problem
the air con/freezer and radio fault drive me mad

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Mine does this too, each morning as I drive off my driveway and turn to the right it sounds like a ball or something in the boot rolling and hitting the side. It doesnt do it over bumps etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have it aswell, no ideas what it is, but it will be going back in a week on thursday to see what the problem is, anyone got any ideas so i can take this thread into them??

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I think it is simply the handbrake/ brake system from the rear wheels that gets into place after driving away. No prob at all.

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Mine's going back in again this week as I'm still getting rumbling noises at the rear; I also notice an occasional groaning noise when pulling away after being parked. The shocks were adjusted last time, so I'm interested to know what they think this time round. Apparently my car wasn't affected by any of the recent recalls. To my annoyance the fuel cap is also sticking again: this was also "fixed" last time. These returns must be costing Honda.

Still a joy to drive, though it helps if I have Led Zeppelin on at level 15, and don't need petrol for a few days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have this problem as well..but it only occurs when the car has been left there for more than 6 hours...then when i start and move off the back of the car makes the noise....but its only for like a couple of seconds but still not very nice for a new car :( :( .. its like a rattly creaky noise...taken the car in on thursday to get the fuel cap replaced (hopefully that wil be it sorted) so il mention this to them.. and also the steering as it pulls to the left....really annoying...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
As some of you know I've had this for a long time as well, my shocks are deemed to be okay so they've not been replaced and it doesn't sound like it would make any difference from what others are saying.

As Mugen2 says, it's when the car has been left for a long time parked, normally on a weekend or overnight if I don't use it, reverse off the drive next morning and as I turn and go down a tiny piece of kerb as I reverse you hear it creak, I then have to drive over TWO speed humps to get out of my street and it is fine on them once I've started moving 20 yards.

I think Stef maybe right, it just seems like the rear brake system or something just looseing itself up after being sat stationery for a lot of hours.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sounds like several different noises being described here, caused by several different faults.

Knocking could be shocks, especially if they have been replaced once and that fixed it at the time. I think the range of VIN numbers supposedly with possible faulty shocks may be less than it should be.

Creaking maybe springs, suspension frame, plastic panels, or as with mine, a creaking chassis.

Rolling ball in the boot could be loose clip behind tailgate panel. I had one behind rear door panel giving a light rolling sound.

Yes, brakes are a possible noise source. and also the exhaust if it's a tinny sound.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
As some of you know I've had this for a long time as well, my shocks are deemed to be okay so they've not been replaced and it doesn't sound like it would make any difference from what others are saying.

As Mugen2 says, it's when the car has been left for a long time parked, normally on a weekend or overnight if I don't use it, reverse off the drive next morning and as I turn and go down a tiny piece of kerb as I reverse you hear it creak, I then have to drive over TWO speed humps to get out of my street and it is fine on them once I've started moving 20 yards.

I think Stef maybe right, it just seems like the rear brake system or something just looseing itself up after being sat stationery for a lot of hours.
I think your right I havent been worried about it as it only ever does it first thing in the morning

·
Registered
118 Posts
apparently the noise is the torsion bar moving. I have to reverse to the right and over a crest on the driveway 1st thing in the morning.... one groaning clunk and no more noises.

Never get any other noises in car except for a wind whistle above 60mph or so...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Knocking Rear !!!!!!!

My Ex does this first thing in the morning, It has had shocks and was ok for 3 months. It has been back into the dealers again for the same thing in Chester they now say as it has had shocks there is no more they can do :mad: :mad: . There are alot of us with this fault and no fix next stop Honda customer services. Feel free to join in or anybody at this stage.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If the dealer won't fix it then Honda CS seems your best option, or go to another dealer. I would say it is definately a fault and it is definately fixable.
Your dealer appears to be taking a hard line with you, I hope this isn't a new directive from Honda in the light of mounting warranty claims. I now find that I have to insist on a courtesy car, which wasn't the case a few months ago.
Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same here too. Already had mine replaced once, and now they're doing it again. It's in for a service in a week and a half, and have been told they will replace them again - Honda are blaming the shock manufacturers as a mod they were supposed to have made to them wasn't done, so same issue comes back. The manufacturer has supposed to have rectified the issue now, so problem should go this time!! I also have condensation in both rear lights, but haven't approached the dealer about sorting this out as yet - they have been presented with quite a comprehensive lists to sort out at service time though!!

KJ

1 - 20 of 37 Posts