2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Knocking again

Suspension 
2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Vyse 
#1 ·
Hi folkes,

I am having knocking again from the drivers side. The drop links have been changed, so not them.

What else can it be? It's a constant sound over bumpy roads / speed bumps.

Also, sometimes from cold, there is a rather loud clunky / knock from passengers side somewhere, what could that be?

Cheers.

#2 ·
Check out the top suspension mounts.

#5 ·
The top rubber mounts wear over time, when badly worn they do clunk as has been described. Also knackered shocks.

Check of course all bolts are tight.

#7 ·
What else can cause the knocking that sounds like drop links? The right hand side knock is identical to the drop links going. I've changed them but made no difference.

What else can cause the knocking?

#10 ·
knocking

HI all, new to forum having just bought a 2010 SI two weeks ago. After a couple of days of driving noticed the knocking sound you are talking about at low speed full lock driving in and out of my driveway over a dropped curb. I contacted garage/dealer from which I purchased car from and told to book it into local garage. After a drive they suspected top suspension mount as drop links seemed fine. Anyways after they replaced offside front shock, top mount and swivel plate ( what ever that is ) no more knocking, they also the replaced nearside wheel bearing, Dealer was great and picked up the tab of £560. Hope this helps in pointing you in the right direction as I to suspected drop links after reading these forums.

#11 ·
the problem with the top suspension bushes is when you take the bushes off the suspension leg they won't feel or look that knackered compared to the new replacement ones but that's while you've got them in your hands and not taking into account that when there in place it's the weight of the car thats putting pressure on them
i had mine replaced yesterday they come as a kit from honda consisting of top rubber mount , bump stop and rubber gaiter
now they have been replaced the noises have gone meaning that even if they look alright in the hand they still might be knackered

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.