2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right just to let you all know that i had a knocking and creaking noise develope from the front suspension over the past 4 months, mostly going over rough ground or speed humps,so i put the civic on the works ramp and had a look. I could'nt find anything wrong first of all,checked top strut mounts,anti roll bar links track rod ends etc,then i decided to remove the anti roll bar d bushes by removing the three bolts from the mount brackets to my amazement the amount of road dirt and salt and water that was trapped within the rubber bush was unbelievable,so i cleaned off the bushes and the bar and lubricated with cv grease as it seems to be less harmful to rubber than standard grease.Anyway refitted the bushes and took the car out for a test drive and now harah,the knocking has now gone.So if you have a similar symptom try this first, it's very easy to do,you don't even need to remove the under covers. I can see why the bushes creek by the amount of road dirt that hits them,the bushes are very exposed to the road.:facepalm:
Hope this helps some of you civic owners with suspension knocks.:)

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Funny you should say this....but i have been noticing an unusual creaking type of noise coming from the front suspension when driving over speed bumps - the raised square type that you ideally position dead centre to your car when driving over.
I never hear this noise during normal driving, only when going over these bumps, and i hear the noise more from the nearside.
The noise wasnt there originally, and has only developed in the past couple of months, so it was easy to notice the change.
These particular bumps are in a 30mph limit, and i always slow down to 20mph or less when driving over them, and frequently get others cars coming right up behind me, but sod them....i am not going to potentially damage my car just so that they can drive a few mph faster!!

I will mention this to my mechanic when my car gets its 3rd service later this month.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I get the same thing on me rear end (ooer) - stealer told me they just use some "special" grease on the rear bushes, right up top. Last time I had a thing like this the shocks were installed upside down at Swindon!!!

Wonder if its the same at the front, as I get the odd "bonk" sound from the passenger front side (its enough to feel on my side and I know its not just stones etc hitting underneath the car)....? It doesn't really creak, just that odd noise now and again, irrespective of the angle of the wheels....?

Any help, appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts