2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i changed the droplinks! but made very little difference..

i do feel the knocking getting worse as its from both sides, its worse when the car is cold and i go over speed bumps or something it actually feels like some kind of rubber mount is weak..

has any one had worn wishbone mounts? just out of curiosity.. or gearbox mounts or similar?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I had a clunking from the rear that I thought was due to the bushes getting worn. When it was checked at the garage I turned out to be a failed shock / damper. Once it was replaced it was fine.

The Honda dealer should find out what it is and fix it for you. Phoenix Honda are very good and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what causes these to fail? as i dont see any oil around them? the knocking is the worst i have ever had in a car and is really making me consider changing!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
what causes these to fail? as i dont see any oil around them? the knocking is the worst i have ever had in a car and is really making me consider changing!
It could be many things that are the source of the knocking. i find the quickest way to get it sorted is to use the dealer. In 50,0000miles I have had a drop link fail and a shock fail.

The roads round here are terrible, all it takes is one pot hole to do the damage

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is because my car is needed for work, putting it into a garage is a head ache! And to do it on a sat most garages shut early etc.. I also has a vibration which has been running thru the car at motorway speeds for a good few months. I think the brakes are the problem so they will be changed asap to try sort that.. but this knocking is driving me mental!

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
i had a knocking when going over speed bumps and under braking and when accelerating took to local honda dealer and was told this was a common fault somthing to do with the subfame.he put it on ramps and dropped the subfame and greased up the two meating areas and job done that was 4 months ago and all quiet.i would take it to honda and let them have a look as leaving it to get worse could do more damage.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its not when accelerating or braking just bumps.
You can actually feel it thru the pedals!

ive also noticed when im stationery and i put the steering left and right their is a slight knock noise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
its not when accelerating or braking just bumps.
You can actually feel it thru the pedals!

ive also noticed when im stationery and i put the steering left and right their is a slight knock noise.
Same terrible nocking here. The dealer counldn't find anything. Yet. Today or tomorrow I will take it to take a look again... (Dumpers ar 100% ok, was tested.)

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Rock the steering right and left right and left - check for a knocking noise and then do the other side left and right, left and right.

If you get a knock then it could be the drive shaft coming from the gear box.

Mine is knocking on the right hand driveshaft as my mate who is a mechanic informed me that the knock is not right as he would have put an advisory on the MOT that it passed and didn't have an advisory!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rock the steering right and left right and left - check for a knocking noise and then do the other side left and right, left and right.

If you get a knock then it could be the drive shaft coming from the gear box.

Mine is knocking on the right hand driveshaft as my mate who is a mechanic informed me that the knock is not right as he would have put an advisory on the MOT that it passed and didn't have an advisory!
so that would be the inner CV?

Its funny because a few months ago i posted regarding my shaking steering and someone said the inner CV is a common issues on the CDTI..

the knocking is deffo worse on the passenger side though..

This is what i hate about using my own car for work! i need to take time off to get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Got the same problem on the offside front, knocking going over speed humps, potholes etc. It passed an MOT last month with no problems. It`s going for a service next thursday so i`ve asked them to have a look at it.

I`ll let you know what the say and if they can fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
so that would be the inner CV?

Its funny because a few months ago i posted regarding my shaking steering and someone said the inner CV is a common issues on the CDTI..

the knocking is deffo worse on the passenger side though..

This is what i hate about using my own car for work! i need to take time off to get it sorted.

No it is the rack mate going into the gearbox not the cv joint on mine

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im going to go into qwik fit first thing in the morning just to be sure its not the exhaust.
the steering rack was replaced when i bought the car, so hopefully if its that then it will be sorted.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
im going to go into qwik fit first thing in the morning just to be sure its not the exhaust.
the steering rack was replaced when i bought the car, so hopefully if its that then it will be sorted.
Replacing the rack seems excessive. Do you know why the rack was replaced? It might be worth getting Honda to look at the car and then just have it fixed elsewhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well no play in the exhaust. Damn! Do Honda charge to look at it? They said they also replaced the steering collum.. their was knocking when I bought it turning it left and right when stationery so they replaced something and that sorted it..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.