2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I've noticed a knocking noise coming from the rear of my 2008 fn2 42k miles, when I usually first use the car in the morning. Knocking lasts a few seconds then goes.
Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Probably a worn bush won't be expensive to to fix just take it to you local garage (not honda). I make them at work and its inevitable at some point they will give, reason it knocks for limited time is the weight is sat in a single position for a longer period of time causing pressure in one position once released the bush will take a few seconds to re_shape, once it has the knocking will stop. Just means its on its way to knocking continously.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, what's that repair likely to cost then? Sure it's not the pads binding so maybe worn bush. Friend has mentioned drop links? Would that make sense? I'm not clued up on cars .
Thanks

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
I doubt very much it's a bush away. This is a well documented niggle in the fn2 and nothing to worry about. A large amount of fn2s do this (mine included). If you use the search function you will find numerous posts about this ;)

Basically a squirt of wd40 on the damper arms cures it. Mine was doing it with 7500 miles on the clock. Honda apologised and said its a trait. It lasts seconds and only when the car has been sat all night. If it was a bush it would do it a lot more.

Sent via NecronomiPhon

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks rev monkey. Now this is probably gonna sound stupid but do you have a pic or diagram as to where I need to spray the wd40?
I did say I haven't a clue about things like this lol

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
I'm on my phone at the moment so struggling to get you a photo . Do you know what a shock absorber/damper looks like? Spray the section of the damper that slides in an out like a telescope that's where your squeak is.I've done mine a few times but now I just leave it tbh.

Sent via NecronomiPhon

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I doubt very much it's a bush away. This is a well documented niggle in the fn2 and nothing to worry about. A large amount of fn2s do this (mine included). If you use the search function you will find numerous posts about this ;)

Basically a squirt of wd40 on the damper arms cures it. Mine was doing it with 7500 miles on the clock. Honda apologised and said its a trait. It lasts seconds and only when the car has been sat all night. If it was a bush it would do it a lot more.

Sent via NecronomiPhon
Can understand that causing a scraping/ squeaking but a knocking ? Im under tge impression that slides in a fixed position so shouldn't be knocking ?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Honda used to replace these under warranty (not sure if they still do) - mine were replaced and the replacements were fine for a while but now give me a couple of knocks as I start off in the morning.

It's a known issue with the rear dampers.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Either way if you don't get it sorted (an don't know much about cars) probably just take it to Honda ....still under warranty ? They will prob do it as good will gesture if its just a case of wd40 otherwise a local garage will replace bush fairly cheapily

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies, sadly it is out of warranty 2008 car. It's deffo knocking noises plus a few squeaks . It's the knocking that concerns me really.
Will pop it to dealer to see if they will do anything as a gesture of goodwill . Worth a try

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Thanks for the replies, sadly it is out of warranty 2008 car. It's deffo knocking noises plus a few squeaks . It's the knocking that concerns me really.
Will pop it to dealer to see if they will do anything as a gesture of goodwill . Worth a try
I use to have knocking and banging all the time it was coming from the boot, in the end i let her travel up front with me, moaning cow.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,640 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts