2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Does anyone get a knocking sound when turning left or right close to full lock during cold morning starts? Once the car is warmed up I no longer get the problem. I have had my rear suspension lubricated and subframe click already sorted, so was wondering is this another cold morning niggle and nothing to worry about?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Improvement with temp suggests rubber being the fault to me.

CV joints are common causes of clicks on cornering. Could just be the boots.

Ide also go with changing the anti roll bar bushes on the front too. Will only set u back about £8 and when I had the exact same problem it fixed it for me and made the ride smoother too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
hi there could be top strut bearing or a drop link

does the noise happen on stationary lock to lock or only when in motion

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Improvement with temp suggests rubber being the fault to me.

CV joints are common causes of clicks on cornering. Could just be the boots.

Ide also go with changing the anti roll bar bushes on the front too. Will only set u back about £8 and when I had the exact same problem it fixed it for me and made the ride smoother too.

Thanks for that I will check it out, do you how much the labour would cost or how long it would usually take for a mechanic to change the bushes?

Is it coming from the front or back?
It's coming from the front

hi there could be top strut bearing or a drop link

does the noise happen on stationary lock to lock or only when in motion
I haven't yet tried when stationary, but when I reverse out my drive doesn't matter left or right on cold mornings I will hear one or two knocks and then when I drive off and turn either left or right there will be a grinding sound like my tyre is catching but will disappear after a couple of minutes

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
My friend it would take u less than an hour. No option for u to do yourself? It's a very easy job.

If u are looking at a mechanic doing it, ask what their hourly rate is and only agree to pay for one.

Every mechanic these days charge differing rates. Honda charge upwards of £80 an hour to my knowledge, where as I know of independents here in Weymouth that charge around £35-40.

You may also need to get some drop links too. Again if u go to a garage expect to pay a mark up where as of course if u fancied doing it yourself, u could get them with discount from euro car parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend it would take u less than an hour. No option for u to do yourself? It's a very easy job.

If u are looking at a mechanic doing it, ask what their hourly rate is and only agree to pay for one.

Every mechanic these days charge differing rates. Honda charge upwards of £80 an hour to my knowledge, where as I know of independents here in Weymouth that charge around £35-40.

You may also need to get some drop links too. Again if u go to a garage expect to pay a mark up where as of course if u fancied doing it yourself, u could get them with discount from euro car parts.

I would love it if I could but unfortunately I'm not very good with diy car jobs can only just manage to change bulbs and air filters :( but thanks for your help and pointing me in the right direction :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got the same problem, but only on the front passenger side, booked into the garage on Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do, he couldn't give me a price or a timescale as he doesn't know what the problem is, so I'm a bit scared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol know the feeling, make sure it's clear if there will be an additional diagnostic charge as well :serious:

·
Registered
126 Posts
You say it happens when you reverse out?, are you noticing it knock when you apply the brakes? Pads not having shim plates can do this on some cars, as the pads are sitting on the bottom of the slider and when you press the brake because you are moving backward it causes the pads to "knock" into the top of the slider, then the next time you apply it moving forward it "knocks" them back down due to rotation of the disc.

or would you say its more to do with steering hitting a certain angle then knocking?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts

going from quotes ive had off honda id say around £50 to £55 a hour for the time and cost theyve quoted me on a couple of jobs

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Wow then I think we are getting screwed over by Honda down here in Dorset, maybe as we are very close to sandbanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It could simply be one of the tyres "skipping" on the road surface due to minimal friction ( cold rubber/slippery road surface ). Try using less lock or deliberately making the car do it when you can concentrate on the symptoms and control the steering wheel. My car only makes this noise in the cold and the first time it happened, I thought I had clipped a wall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You say it happens when you reverse out?, are you noticing it knock when you apply the brakes? Pads not having shim plates can do this on some cars, as the pads are sitting on the bottom of the slider and when you press the brake because you are moving backward it causes the pads to "knock" into the top of the slider, then the next time you apply it moving forward it "knocks" them back down due to rotation of the disc.

or would you say its more to do with steering hitting a certain angle then knocking?

It can happen when reversing out or moving forwards usually first thing on cold mornings. Moving the steering alone doesn't cause the knock only when in motion. Applying brakes doesn't cause the knock.

It could simply be one of the tyres "skipping" on the road surface due to minimal friction ( cold rubber/slippery road surface ). Try using less lock or deliberately making the car do it when you can concentrate on the symptoms and control the steering wheel. My car only makes this noise in the cold and the first time it happened, I thought I had clipped a wall.
Right I will give that a go, do u also get a bit of a grinding noise from the front wheel like your tyre is rubbing against something but then disappears after about 10 seconds of driving?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts