2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has been into the dealer about a month ago to have the knocking from the rear checked out. They did this:

Checked rear suspension mounting bolts
Lubed up stuff
Checked every other bolt

It seemed to stop for a day or two and guess what, it still knocks when going over bumpy roads. Normally does it when the bump or dip is on one side of the road only and only one rear wheel bumps. Wierd and darn annoying!

Any tips or latest info? Read everything on here and it seems to lead down to them bolts. Is there any sort of scuff marks visible round the bolt that'd show its moving?

Cheers! :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks. Seen that one. It all seems to be those bolts. Looked at the seat thing too so might wrap some tape round the latches. Seems more like the rear suspension sound though. Maybe the dealer needs to tighten them up a little more?....

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Dude, try putting both the back seats down, as to lie flat!

I do that and my rattles from the back dissapear.
Try that as a test, if they dissapear its something to do with around the seats.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, cheers for the post.

I have an update!

I drove to work today over the same road with the rear seats flat as suggested by NeoFlare and guess what?.... KNOCK WAS NOT THERE!

I have just applied some thin rubber tape around the "U" shaped bit of metal where the seat latch hooks onto to see if that makes a difference. Guess its just a matter of narrowing down. I'll post results tomorrow when I drive on that road again.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Glad that your problem looks solved.
Unfortunately I made this mod 2Y ago, put some tape around the U shape clamp.
Later I removed the rear panels, and mounted the U shape clamp on rubbers...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assume the tape didn't solve the problem then? I looked also at the way the seats are mounted to the car but couldn't see any way the knocking could come from there.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
If you don't fancy the trouble of re seating the brackets on rubber, try some self adhesive foam draught excluder strip around them.
It stopped my rear seats from singing a song.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'll bear that in mind cheers!

Update though, the knocking seems to have gone! Drove the road to work and back today without a peep. I'm assuming where the latch mechanism in the back of the seats was resting on the U shaped clip, when going over a bump the car was twisting enough to cause the latch to "knock" onto the clip. Its strange how the sound seemed to echo from underneath the car but this rubber tape seems to have done the trick.

I've also noticed a couple of other tiny tapping sounds have dissapeared so I can only assume the U shaped metal was really rattling around in there somewhat and knocking on certain bits of road.

Hope this helps, but you've prob all already done it! lol :eek:

Oh also to mention, the car didn't do it when new, but only since i've had a couple of large people in the back a few times. Moral of the story is, don't have large people in the back of your Civic! I can only imagine doing so slowly puts strain on the brackets causing the seats to move out of alignment slightly.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
I had exactly the same problem and solved mine too by fitting tape around the seat catches..
TBH..this is not what anyone should have to do with a £20K car !!!..but it does work...just like spraying silicone spray in the wiper cowl stops the dash / windscreen creak

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with you! Certainly should not be doing this sort of thing with a 20K car! The clever japs make great engines and reliability but something can be said for build quality. I've not yet had the dash/windscreen creaking but I dare say i'll expect it soon!

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Just went to my dealer, and there is an official fix for the back seat problem.
A part is modified in the seat lock system. At first my dealer tought that the seat was my problem.

Unfortunately my problem remains, made some tests sitting in the back with the seat lowered, and the sound is clearly coming from the suspension mount. My car is going in to the dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool Stef, keep us updated on the results - i'll ask my local dealer about the official mod to the seats too as this could help, if not prevent it from occuring again.

I'm thinking about sound insulating the car next to make it feel a little more "comfortable"! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I can say, I had a lot of Honda's (about 15! lost count) But the Civic is something special. It is a complete new design with a completely new and different suspension. Unfortunately we (the customers) are paying the learning school, this is not fair. The Civic brougth new customers to Honda cars, so many of you will think "is this Honda quality?" No it is not! I know better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts