2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

When turning the steering wheel, there's a knocking sound coming from the offside front wheel. The sound is audible within the cabin, and I'm suspecting it might be something to do with the steering column, as I did a quick check on the CV joint and it looks fine, seal intact etc.

Any ideas or similar situations?

Thanks!

mk8, 56 plate, 5-door, 1.8 petrol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about your other suspension and steering joints, are they all tight?
The other suspension is all fine and dandy. I've got an MOT due in May so may ask the mechanic to poke around whilst it's up on the lift, however, I'm thinking it could be relating to the steering column. I'd like to clean the steering mechanism and flush+replace the steering fluid... can't find any info online for civics though?

Cheers

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
I had this on the daily run around.. upon a deep dive to all the front end suspension - was a broken spring which was moving, hence a clunk.. Very difficult to spot unless you jack it up and have a good look with a torch..

·
Administrator
18,057 Posts
I'm thinking it could be relating to the steering column. I'd like to clean the steering mechanism and flush+replace the steering fluid... can't find any info online for civics though?
Good luck with that, the Civic's steering is electric.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
get it on a large car park and have someone drive the car around in circles lock to lock
im sure youl find its a cv joint
cant see the coloum giving a knock like you describe it

the cv joint will look ok if the boot isnt split and even when totaly knackered its hard to see ware/play while fitted to car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
get it on a large car park and have someone drive the car around in circles lock to lock
im sure youl find its a cv joint
cant see the coloum giving a knock like you describe it

the cv joint will look ok if the boot isnt split and even when totaly knackered its hard to see ware/play while fitted to car
Thanks for the input, I took your advice and listened to the noise with more care... it's actually a rubbing noise when turning the steering wheel (noise originating from the direction of the front left wheel) and a knocking noise when accelerating.

I appreciate it's not a lot to go on, and you're right about the visibility of the joint making it hard to see... Any tips on how to get a better view without a ramp or jack etc?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
if it's a steady clicking / knocking noise when driving forward on full lock which increases with speed and goes away once you straighten the steering that will be the CV joint

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Had similar problems when i bought my R. Solution? new shocks and top mounts kit,the latter which i believe cured it,since there is no more creaking noise.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I have the same problem would really appreciate if anyone have a solution for that!
without any more detail we can only give you the same answers already in this thread

it'a very hard for us armchair experts to diagnose a problem which we can't see or hear
but we do try :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts