2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oldboy-racer
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there ABP, I recently bought a set on FSD's from someone on the forum and he mentioned that you had fitted them. I think that later he added KW springs which lower the iCDTi by 20mm, as the mileage he stated for both is quite different I am not sure if you fitted these.
But I just recently came across this comment "The official line from Koni is these are designed purely for use with normal height springs. Using lowered springs will affect the performance of the shocks negatively. (Statement from Koni's UK distributor)".
So I am wondering, any idea how the FSD are negatively affected? I still have the std springs and was thinking of refitting them due to clearance issues, mainly over speed ramps ie the suspension seems too soft at the initial compress. Though at speed the cornering/agility is greatly improved, sharper with body roll controlled very well. It would be a shame to lose this going back to std ride height, but not sure how much is the springs or the dampers.
Ride is pretty smooth over rough roads, not crashy, feeling the stiffness increase over larger bumps/dips and ,of course, in the corners.
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks very much.
Stefan

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Hi Stefan,

This is a question we come across quite a lot. The FSD's are not designed to be used with shorter springs, in the same way standard shock absorbers aren't. But if you think how many cars are running 'just uprated springs', and the improvements you get, it's certainly not going to give you any issues in the long run.

The reason they suggest you don't use shorter springs is because the shocker was designed for the taller (standard) spring, it is slightly compressed when used with a shorter spring and so ideally isn't operating within it's designed tolerances.

I believe JDR runs FSD's on Eibach springs and he's had no issues.

But in short, you'll be fine :)

Rich

·
Oldboy-racer
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich for your quick reply. Do you know what difference it make to the damper action?
Cheers
Stefan

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
In short? Minimal. I imagine you would only notice the difference if you had two cars, identical bar the springs, on track and you could switch between the two.

I don't think think you will feel any sort of negative effect on the road.

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts