2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as title says, When I was cleaning the car for the first time I noticed a good patch of paint that looked like it had been rubbing against something, it's still black but gone very matte. Tried to ignore it but it's doing my tree in!!!!

Is the best way to just get a paint touch up kit and carefully paint over it or do I need to go somewhere more professional? The patch itself is maybe 15cm by 10cm off the top of my head, could be a bit more either way. Will try and get a pic for a better idea of what I'm on about but it doesn't show up overly well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So as title says, When I was cleaning the car for the first time I noticed a good patch of paint that looked like it had been rubbing against something, it's still black but gone very matte. Tried to ignore it but it's doing my tree in!!!!

Is the best way to just get a paint touch up kit and carefully paint over it or do I need to go somewhere more professional? The patch itself is maybe 15cm by 10cm off the top of my head, could be a bit more either way. Will try and get a pic for a better idea of what I'm on about but it doesn't show up overly well.
If the paintwork has gone matt have you tried polishing it to bring the gloss back?
I would suggest a photo too to let the pros on here help you :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I gave it a good polish and wax, but still not very obvious, it's clearly lower than the rest of the paint as well. I will try get a better picture when I get home.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No polish by hand using meguiars ultimate polish. Then waxed using Turtle Wax (couldn't afford anything ultra awesome). There's no peeling or anything, it's very smooth. I would say its the lacquer layer that's gone maybe? The problem was there a few weeks ago when I first washed it like I said, so touch wood I don't think it was me.

Sorry I thought this would be a lot simpler than it is!

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,684 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing it, it seems too big an area to be bird crap etching. Really need to see it, where are you based?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On the East Coast in Hornsea. I'll try get a photo tonight, I'm at work at the moment and have walked (costs a bit much to take the Type R a meer mile :p)

Really does look like somethings just rubbed against it, but something slightly softer, like a plastic drain pipe or something as apposed to scraping down a wall or tree branch or something.

Just saw this was moved sorry! Seemed the proper place with the stone chip sticky being there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved! Make sure it's so dirty you can't see the patch your on about >.> This is why I said I would never get a black car. Will be washing it tomorrow if not Saturday so can get your a pic then if you'd kindly provide some advise if possible :)

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Have you seen the seagulls in Hornsea?! They could easily defecate a patch twice that size...

Late to the show as usual!

·
more torque than the mrs
6,767 Posts
sure its not lacquer peel ?if it is the patch will get bigger and in most cases need re painting...

bird etching takes some time to get out but can be done by hand using 2000 grit wet and dry then g3 compound then polish. good luck sounds nasty..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you seen the seagulls in Hornsea?! They could easily defecate a patch twice that size...

Late to the show as usual!
There are some big b*****ds here. Really can't get a picture of it. Does seem to have gotten a fair bit smaller after a good few washes. I might pop to a garage and see what they say.

Sorry to be so awkward folks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts