2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, don't have a picture of this, but recently after I accelerated hard in 1st gear, my speedo display started playing up, sometimes it was normal (mostly under braking), sometimes it was indistinct with the blank areas 1/2 lit causing a couple of grey 8's in addition to the normal speed indication making it very hard to read, and sometimes it was full blanked out with both 8's fully lit making it impossible to read. Anyway, shortly after, I went over a couple of severe bumps / potholes, and it's all back to normal now, which suggests to me maybe a loose connector.

I presuming it's unlikely to be the display itself as usually wires behind displays are bundled and zip tied, so I was wondering if anyone knew where the sender unit was and what route the wires took so I could check the loom and see if any of the plugs have worked loose.

Thanks in advance.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
The solder dries out on these, happened on my radio display too, a good thump on the top normally sorted it... Wouldn't have a clue as to how to get the display out to fix it but I'd get it done soon so you don't get busted for speeding if it gets worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, my clock/radio display had this problem too, until I fixed it. The solder on the pins on the circuit board becomes cracked or gets dislodged over the years through vibration and heat changes. Resoldering a few of the damaged pins solved the issue.

As for the speedo, there's plenty on eBay second hand and for not much money. The plastic fascia and the display behind it can be separated, so if the one you buy is a bit scratched you can easily put the fascia on it from your car.

To take out the speedo, you need to lift off the panel above it. Give it a good yank upwards and it'll come off by hand (careful not to punch through the windscreen!). Then grab the speedo at the edges and give it a sharp pull towards you and it'll come out in much the same way. One cable clipped in the back which you can pull out easily and plug into the new one.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
That's the 888 fault. It's quite common. I had it on mine. As previously suggested get a replacement off ebay. Just check whether it is pre or after face-lift. The gear shift indicators are different I believe

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts