2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My first post.

Now that winter is coming and we got the first (plentiful) rain in the sunny and dry Malta I discovered the infamous water leak in the boot. After some investigation I clearly saw the water coming in from the tail lights so I tried to find gaskets but they are expensive and quite difficult to find in Malta.

Here are my driver side gasket with two huge cracks.

My solution was a cheap DIY using a trekking foam mattress from Decathlon for 4,99€ (around £4,50) which will be enough to fix all the gaskets on your car. it is foamy and the silver side has a bit of plastic which will seal the area quite well.

It was so good that I decided to inspect the other side too, I found another crack and I changed it. All for less than 5€

·
i-Vtec
3,071 Posts
Let us know how it works out for you. Cant imagine you get many rainy days in malta though, lol

Welcome to Civinfo btw (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Dunno about that, went there in January 1991 and had the biggest thunderstorm I've ever seen.
Sliema seafront was under about 2 feet of water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

After testing the fix I found another water leak underneath the perspex window. Reading old threads I found a very helpful post by @Chapster pointing out that water usually comes from the edge wings of the perspex window. I literally injected from inside the tailgate with a silicone gun and a transparent tube attached to it in the area with the green circle.

Attached images provided by @Chapster and @dkkirk2016
Waiting for the silicone to dry for a second round of testing. Also I decided to buy a Captain tolley's creeping crack cure tube and fix every potential leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Cheers yeh I used captain crack sealer worked a treat I don't dare to inject the tailgate lol how did u reach the curved part I'm very interested because I haven't done that part? Any pics

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a transparent pipe attached to the silicone tube. Then I cut the tip of the pipe in needle shape and I injected from inside the tailgate. The whole edge wing should be now filled with black silicone.
I will post the test results tomorrow when the silicone has hardened. Wish me luck :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
✅ Test passed!

I got some help from mother nature yesterday evening, we got a huge thunderstorm. I sat inside the car for 20 minutes and not even a single drop managed to get in from the tailgate where I used to have a hotel spa.
Injecting the silicone worked like a charm! 😁

·
Registered
797 Posts
Now I've just got to find some tubing for mine now lol what silicone did u use!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a multi-use black silicone. The brand is Geocel.
I read it has very good results on sealing water leaks on windscreens, caravans, underground pipes, and it bonds and seals any surface.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I've used clear Geocel on my previous Civic around the headlights and other places and it wasn't good - crumbles and gets yellow. Black could be better though.
Tigerseal is another good option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here in Malta the real problem is the 300+ sunny days per year, that's a lot of radiation. Even if the silicone is "protected" underneath the tinted area of the perspex window I don't think any silicone will survive so many hours of UV and temperatures of above 70 ºC in summer.
I am quite aware I will have to fix it again in a couple of years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts