2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
In recent months I have noticed a wet patch in the passenger footwell. It doesn't smell like coolant. As a result, I have been experiencing a lot of condensation/mist/frost on the inside of the glass as well as the obvious wet patch. The other day I cleaned out the track under the windscreen wipers - and I think this helped but there is still a damp patch. Today, I replaced the pollen filter - which to be fair was heavily clogged by tree seeds!

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? How is best to fix it? And is there anywhere else that I need to be clearing tree debris from?

I did read that a couple of squirts of air in the air con drain helps remove any blockages. Unfortunately, yesterday I had the pleasure of a mechanic trying to tell me that there is no such thing and the air con system needs a complete system clean! So that hasn't been done as really need to find someone with an air compressor and ramp to help me out with this.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Another member did find that the trim/sealant up the side of the windscreen had become detached towards the top and was letting water in down the inside of the A pillar. I think he had the screen refitted.
Looks like you've tried the normal things to look at - except - is the door card wet at the bottom?
Maybe the drains in the door are blocked and it is getting in via the door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another member did find that the trim/sealant up the side of the windscreen had become detached towards the top and was letting water in down the inside of the A pillar. I think he had the screen refitted.
Looks like you've tried the normal things to look at - except - is the door card wet at the bottom?
Maybe the drains in the door are blocked and it is getting in via the door.
Looking at the wet patch on the mat, it seems to be away from the door... closer to the pollen filter side. I drove it today but obviously the original patch is still damp so uncertain if it is still leaking... I am guessing I will have to wait until it rains or for me to use the heaters a bit more...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I sucked out most of the water but it is still damp to touch. Quite a bit of water came out. This weather isn't ideal for drying out the rest - uncertain if the current damp patch is just the left over bits that the wet vac couldn't get or if there is still an underlying problem. My guess is I should know in a few days... it the patch gets wetter! Such a nightmare!!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I had this, turned out to be the pollen filter cover not seated and pushed home correctly. Once fitted correctly the issue went away.
double check the cover, it may look closed correctly but may not be. As you may already know, there is a drain in thee for the air con and the water will come out if the the cover is not closed correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had this, turned out to be the pollen filter cover not seated and pushed home correctly. Once fitted correctly the issue went away.
double check the cover, it may look closed correctly but may not be.
Excellent, I will re-check it tomorrow when it's lighter. I know it definitely needed changing as when I took the old one out it was covered in debris. What I did notice is the cover didn't click back into place - should it? Also, I have the arrow pointing in the direction away from engine direction pointing into interior of car (but obviously sideways). Is that the right way??

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Without looking at the arrows myself I couldn’t say, but yes it should firmly clip home. I believe from memory it hooks in one end and the clips together the other end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Without looking at the arrows myself I couldn’t say, but yes it should firmly clip home. I believe from memory it hooks in one end and the clips together the other end.
Will double check that tomorrow.. just quickly looked at a couple of videos and they are putting theirs in top first and sliding the bottom. I think I was lining up the bottom first which is maybe why it isn't locking back into place. Interesting to see if the new one is wet actually.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Good chance that's the cause - after my last service they never put the cover on properly (it's a bit awkward to be fair) and sure enough there was a pool of water in passenger footwell a few days later. Never happened again after I fitted pollen filter cover on properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope this is the issue. I've just been out there and I've taken it off again and this time it's definitely snapped in to place. Now I just need to wait and see if the wet patch dries or continues to stay damp. The last service I had, the mechanics were idiots so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't on properly or even if they fitted the filter the right way!! I remember them trying to tell me my spark plugs didn't need changing - and then when I got home I noticed the housing was all loose and they had snapped one of the clips trying to get in to it. My bet was they didn't know how to open it and broke it in the process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interested in this too as I have the same issue. Replaced my pollen filter over the weekend and it’s a definite Audiable click as it goes back on. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
more torque than the mrs
6,692 Posts
also make sure the a/c drainage hose isn't blocked if it is you will get a damp footwell ....

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I hope this is the issue. I've just been out there and I've taken it off again and this time it's definitely snapped in to place. Now I just need to wait and see if the wet patch dries or continues to stay damp. The last service I had, the mechanics were idiots so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't on properly or even if they fitted the filter the right way!! I remember them trying to tell me my spark plugs didn't need changing - and then when I got home I noticed the housing was all loose and they had snapped one of the clips trying to get in to it. My bet was they didn't know how to open it and broke it in the process.
That's why I don't pay other people to change my air or pollen filters.
Once you know how to it saves a few pounds on every service and you know it's been done properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also make sure the a/c drainage hose isn't blocked if it is you will get a damp footwell ....

Hey Deni, I took the car to a place asking them to pop the car on the ramp and give it a quick shot of air... mechanic tried to see me that there is no a/c drain under the car!!! And that no air should be squirted in... and that I needed my whole air con system drained blah blah, lol. So far so good with the pollen filter though. It's early days but the damp patch appears to be drying . Will see tomorrow as today is a really wet day and I've had the heaters on. Fingers crossed it's done the trick!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,
In recent months I have noticed a wet patch in the passenger footwell. It doesn't smell like coolant. As a result, I have been experiencing a lot of condensation/mist/frost on the inside of the glass as well as the obvious wet patch. The other day I cleaned out the track under the windscreen wipers - and I think this helped but there is still a damp patch. Today, I replaced the pollen filter - which to be fair was heavily clogged by tree seeds!

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? How is best to fix it? And is there anywhere else that I need to be clearing tree debris from?

I did read that a couple of squirts of air in the air con drain helps remove any blockages. Unfortunately, yesterday I had the pleasure of a mechanic trying to tell me that there is no such thing and the air con system needs a complete system clean! So that hasn't been done as really need to find someone with an air compressor and ramp to help me out with this.
I had a very similar problem to yours! PArt of the seal separating the windscreen from the roof detached and water was entering the part holding the rearview mirror. That actually caused the traffic camera to burn out! Have the leak checked by the authorised service! Mine was done under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a very similar problem to yours! PArt of the seal separating the windscreen from the roof detached and water was entering the part holding the rearview mirror. That actually caused the traffic camera to burn out! Have the leak checked by the authorised service! Mine was done under warranty.
Yeah, I don't think mine was leaking from the seal. Since changing the pollen filter, I haven't noticed any further leaks (fingers crossed), so I am hoping this has done the trick. My leak wasn't coming from above, it was definitely from the bottom in the area that the pollen filter is situated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, just wondering if anyone has had any luck with their footwell leaks? Mine initially stopped after changing the pollen filter. The front window was clear (although a slight misting on the rear but nothing major). It was fine through the cold and frosty days but the last couple of weeks, the leak is back! Carpet in footwell is wet and windows front and back are misting. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts