2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost 4 years I have had enough selling my EX GT next week.

It has been my most unreliable vehicle EVER and that includes a 1983 Mini Metro !!! At least with the Metro never left me stranded the Civic has had the AA out twice and on the back of a low loader once :face palm:

Honda have never really got to the bottom of my constant battery drain issues (saying that Honda UK have been helpful and tried sorting things out after the warranty was up)

There are a few positives the rear seat space with the magic seats is brilliant as is its boot space. Also the engine spins up to its peak revs in a way I have not seen another diesel engine.

However its fuel economy is not great even driving it like a hearse I struggle to get above 43 mpg, its poor rear visibility, its soft paint and most of all its STONE AGE REAR SUSPENSION.

In future I am going to take a more circumspect look at cars when I am buying one and not just get wooed by its style

The new one as soon as I saw its styling, not using a modern independent rear suspension and its PRICE I thought no way. :confused:

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
A pity about your car. I can sympathise having owned a Golf Diesel which had to be towed in three times, cost £1800 in repairs in 17,000 miles and on which the turbo and the DMF were on the way out.

Is it me or are diesel cars the most troublesome?

Anyway - don't buy a Diesel Golf or it could be a frying pan/fire scenario.

·
Ex Honda Tractor driver!
162 Posts
Or a diesel vauxhall for all the same reasons, they really do seem to love a ride on the back of a trailer :( Sorry to hear of all your troubles, i would probably have got rid ages ago! Hopefully my one stays trouble free, has been a year so far and has been great.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I guarantee you will miss it...

I had a bad experience with my first 06 EX (Probably more to do with poor dealer service than actual problems with the car), had a gap of 2 years diving a 56 plate Ford Fiesta (Great car!), then wanted some thing bigger.... Looked at everything in the Civic's class... Focus's, Golf's etc... None could match the Civic for equipment, style, practicality and performance!

Bought an 09 facelift which is miles ahead of the 06 in terms of build quality and refinement (Honda's boot up Swindon's bum seems to have worked ;) )

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It all a very subjective thing

I had a Mk 4 and Mk 5 TDi Golf and the only issue they had in 8 years was an auto dimming rear view mirror.

I have no real problems with components failing and having to be replaced but my string of new batteries, MICU's and firmware flashes started to give me extreme lack of confidence as to whether Honda and my retailers had a clue :confused:

As I said before I would have looked at a Mk 9 but not so fussed at the "spartan helmet" front end, its getting into BMW 1 series for price but mainly its ride and handling and Honda not producing a car with a proper independent rear suspension :facepalm:

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts
However its fuel economy is not great even driving it like a hearse I struggle to get above 43 mpg, its poor rear visibility, its soft paint and most of all its STONE AGE REAR SUSPENSION.

The new one as soon as I saw its styling, not using a modern independent rear suspension and its PRICE I thought no way. :confused:
Sorry to hear your leaving us. Perhaps you could post us up its reg number so we can avoid ending up with a lemon if we are in the market of buying an EX GT. Must say I disagree about the suspension though. Yea sure its not indepenent but i'm sure its virtually undetectable which type it is for everyday use. I've had cars with IS before and they have been no better or worse than my current civic's. Sure if your wopping around a race track it may be important, but for everyday use??? Nah!

Hope you've not been listening to that Jeremy Clarkson's old review of the Civic's suspension? Think he was clutching at straws to find bad things to say about the civic. (He just hates Honda's in general). :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My opinions of the suspension come from hitting a bump or slight pothole in mid corner when "pressing on" and wondering where its going to leap as your heart leaps into your mouth :)

·
Wife & Civics to support
235 Posts
If I.S. is such a priority for you then I can see that the Civic is not the car for you. I drive different cars all the time and never have a problem with the suspension in any of them, be it I.S. or torsion beam. But granted they are all different. Good luck with the new car mate... Let us know how you get on. [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Sorry to hear your leaving us. Perhaps you could post us up its reg number so we can avoid ending up with a lemon if we are in the market of buying an EX GT. Must say I disagree about the suspension though. Yea sure its not indepenent but i'm sure its virtually undetectable which type it is for everyday use. I've had cars with IS before and they have been no better or worse than my current civic's. Sure if your wopping around a race track it may be important, but for everyday use??? Nah!

Hope you've not been listening to that Jeremy Clarkson's old review of the Civic's suspension? Think he was clutching at straws to find bad things to say about the civic. (He just hates Honda's in general). :(

+1

The IRS thing is just a band wagon thing like the lack of a rear wiper that people like to jump on... In reality, most Civic owners don't have issues. Maybe your suspension was in need of some adjustment... FRS can make a world of difference :)

Ok the suspension can be a little crashy over bad surfaces (which can be cured with eibachs) , but in terms of handling, the Civic is recogninesef as being one of the best in it class...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
+1

Maybe your suspension was in need of some adjustment...
:p now you have opened another :worms: if you drop a rear wheel in a pothole and knock the rear out of alignment the torsion beam setup can't be adjusted easily or cheaply :confused::mad:

Get real guys the Civic HAS a crashy rear suspension. Anybody who says there is little difference (or its better! :police:) compared to a MK6 Golf or Mk3 Focus is deranged or deluded

As for going for a small petrol turbo I had thought about it until I drove my Dad's 1.6 TDi Golf plus. very refined and could get 55 MPG plus in all driving without really trying.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
So what is replacing the Civic?
Yep I'd like to know that too...good luck with your new car though.

I get were your coming from, I do notice the difference between the civic and other cars I get into. But it's only when driving over ramps, humps and bumps!

On a straight road with no potholes, it's fine and handling is great!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
New car has arrived Ford Focus Titanium X Candy Red 18" alloys appearance pack

Very nice so far feels very tight engine wise but its so refined in all aspects. Cant believe they are 18" rims ! :)

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Nice - I like it.

Thinking of trading my CTR for one of these (among a few others). What's your opinion of the interior?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The interior is lets just say "busy" it makes the top Civic look minimalist tech wise. Its build quality seems very similar to VAG now, the doors have a solid thud when you close them. Half Leather looked better quality than the Golf I tried !

Only main niggle so far is that it does not come with a left foot rest :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.