2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Has anyone fitted or repalced their center light with an updated led strip which is the brightest and where can you buy these as I have seen them on e bay and currently the brightest led stip you can buy is the 5630.

Anyone here can give advice that would be fantastic but I do not know if these led strips will be bright enough during daylight hours, to be seen properly.

Here is a link

5M 5050/3528 SMD 300 LEDs Light Waterproof Flexible Strip Lighting/12V 5A Power | eBay

Any advice would be handy. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The facelift model is not full LED either.

There is about 4" on each side that is not lit.

I made one using this LED strip but you need to have some electronic skill and understanding
56cm 48LED CAR Knight Rider Strip Lights 20 Modes RED 1 | eBay

thread of it installed.
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights/119407-slightly-improved-center-brake-light.html
That light you mention that flashes then you have to mod it actually uses the 5050 leds and the newest and brightest is the 5630 in fact if you could make a led stip using dedicated leds that would be even brighter again, if I couild make one I would but my electrical knowledge is non existent?

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will upload a how to with plenty of pictures on the brake light modification by blow by blow detailed pictures of the process of modding this knight rider strip.

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
What will this accomplish? Is it just to ensure you can easily wire up the LEDs to the existing cable and it "just work"?
The LED Brake light is a 59cm PCB board with 60LED on it, you will be able to install it into the center brake light housing(you will need to mod it a little) and connect it to the cars connector.

This will light up pretty nearly whole section when seen from behind.

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
Hence why i am designing it.

I will have to get them madeup since they are 60cm long which is huge.

But they will have soldermask(maybe green or black) and silkscreen so it will look like a proper circuit board.

Board design is nearly done.

Looking for a connector that can go into the honda wiring loom one.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey folks as soon as this led strip arrives I'll throw an in depth how to on this moidification including it's installation, it still hasn't arrived as the postage is really slow. Well since last we spoke the car is lowered by 30mm to 40mm and now it is colour coded I am in the process of replacing the rear center light with the Type R one so on here looking at the how to again to refresh before I begin that process so should have it installed by Friday night. Once the car is settled and the paint hardened i'll throw some pictures up of the finsihed article. Having it colour coded makes the car look totally different as to how it looked originally. Fantastic transformation now it is beginning to look like a real sports car, lol.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I finally got the 3rd brake light led strip fitted and wired the led strip into the 3rd brake light with a flasher unit and must say it is 100% brighter than the standard Honda led strip which when you see it you will be amazed how crappy looking it is as the leds are really small.

Anyway got this item installed all the leds are working so will do a detailed how to when I have compiled my how to as it will take time to complete there are that many photographs will take foreve lol, so for the novise DIY. I have explained the process in laymans terms. Was difficult to complete as the 3rd brake light is so brittle and can be easily damaged. Anyway success these leds on this flasher strip are very bright and cant see me wating to upgrade to what I have now as it is like night and day the difference from what Honda had in there to what is in there now. Amazing result and worth the effort really easy to do too.

·
Living the dream!
8,545 Posts
Me and Ian did one the other year and soldered the LED to the oem socket but the trick or skill is trying to get the new LED tape straight when fitting the cover etc

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hence why i am designing it.

I will have to get them madeup since they are 60cm long which is huge.

But they will have soldermask(maybe green or black) and silkscreen so it will look like a proper circuit board.

Board design is nearly done.

Looking for a connector that can go into the honda wiring loom one.
Any update on this mod??

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
The company i was going to get a test fab done changed their max size limits.

Was planning on a single 595mm x 16mm board so it is easy to install.
Going to have to redesign it as a 150mm x 75mm board.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts