2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I pick up my Civic tomorrow (woo!) and have been digging around for insurance over the weekend.

My current insurer is about £100 dearer than some competitors, so it looks like I'll be switching company.

Now here's the thing, I have less than 1 full month left on the current policy for my current car (ends 19/05) - at the end of that policy, I'll have 5 years NCB, so currently, and for less than a month, I officially have only 4.

This comes out as almost £90 per year difference with my preferred new insurer. If I cancel the policy for my current car (which has less than a month left, so not much point in cancelling) does that mean I can't then say I have 5 years NCB from them, when applying for a new policy for the Civic?

I just don't see how paying almost a hundred pounds more for the year because of taking out the policy <30 days before I went over the 5 year marker is fair :-(

Any insurance guru's around this evening?

Thanks in advance!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Unfortunately it's only taken for complete years. If you cancel now then you lose 11 months.

Can you not add the Civic onto the remainder of your existing policy and then simply renew as normal in a months' time?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a good question. I suppose it would only be a change of vehicle details for that one month, after which, I can shop around and get quote/renewal basesd on 5 years NCB instead of 4?

Apologies for not quite 'getting' it. I hadn't even thought you could add/ammend the car on your policy...

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, that sounds like a much better idea. I'm not sure exactly when the change-over will take place tomorrow, but having just read on my current insurer, it says my current car will be covered until I get my new one, so I guess the actual timing of it doesn't matter...

Thanks for the rapid response! Can't wait to get my stickers on!

Awesome community already!

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I did this when I got my Civic. Added the Civic in place of the old car with 5 months left.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It's quite common so just call up your insurer and tell them you've changed your car - give them the details of the new one and away you go! There may be an additional amount (and the "admin" fee they like to charge) but then in a month you'll have your 5 years NCB :)

·
Supporter
289 Posts
when i changed cars to the 2.2 honda civic from a subaru impreza, there was no charge

just ask them, you might be surprised

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WEll, there was a small charge, but nothing like the cost of missing out another year NCB. Not sure why I didn't think of that before posting the question.

All sorted now, 8 hours til I get my Civic!

Thanks!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Glad to see we helped save you some money fella. Enjoy the new car and welcome to the forum!

P.S. - Post up some pics when you can ;)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have some pics from the dealership that I took, they'd just received the car so it hadn't had anything done to it (unlike it should have now!). I just though it's a bog-standard 2.2, probably nobody would want to see it :(

lol.

Will stick them up in the 'Introduce yourself' thread.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
What i did was i started a new policy which was cheaper letting them know i had 4yrs ncb allowed my oth3er one to run for a month to get the 5 yrs cancelled both and did a new one saved me money in the long run.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
My bad see you resolved it glad its all sorted!

Ps.... Regardless of the "bog standard 2.2" get pics up and get in the cleaning section and learn how to shine it up then it doesnt matter whether its a mini metro if it hurts your eyes when it shines we're all happy ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts