2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fixed both my mirrors as they didnt fold in/out correctly.... I purchased new parts for the mirrors and fitted them myself, the whole job took less than 10 minutes.

Honda quoted £41 + VAT per mirror....

The parts costed me £66 in total.

Because the mirrors folding mechanism is obviously a design issue, I wrote to Honda to complain hoping to be re-imbursed with it being such a small amount....

How wrong could I of been...... There response is below.....

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Thank you for your recent correspondence to Honda (UK).

I know that it?s disappointing to have to make these repairs, especially on
a car which is known for its reliability. We do, of course, recognise that
things can sometimes go wrong at the manufacturing stage. For this reason
all of our cars come with a 36-month/90,000 mile warranty. When a car has
problems beyond this time period, we consider the circumstances carefully
and sometimes contribute towards repairs.

We are unable to offer you assistance as you have confirmed that you
purchased the vehicle from a non Honda dealer, also the parts were not
fitted by a Honda Dealer, rather they were fitted by yourself. I have
spoken to the dealership, and they have confirmed at no point did the
dealership advise you to carry out the repair yourself.

I have reviewed this case with my Manager, and it is with regret to inform
you that we will not be refunding the cost of the parts for the wing
mirrors.

I appreciate that this is not the outcome that you are looking for and I am
sorry that you feel disappointed but I hope that the information given
above goes someway in assuring you that all matters brought to Honda (UK)?s
attention are dealt with seriously and thoroughly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact Honda (UK). Please
accept my apologies for any further inconvenience this may cause.

Yours Sincerely
Honda (UK)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I'm not surprised if I'm honest.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
In this case i dont see anything wrong with Honda's response, it is entirely understandable and correct as far as i am concerned.
Your car is over 3 years old, was purchased outside of the dealer network and you carried out the repair work yourself, so to then expect Honda to reimburse you in some way is at best, rather optimistic.

Had you got Honda to do the work it would have cost you around £38 more, and you might have had a chance of getting some of the cost back, but you quite understandably chose to do the work yourself and save money.

I think it would have been a better idea to contact Honda before the work was done, then you would have known exactly where you stood.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
In this case i dont see anything wrong with Honda's response, it is entirely understandable and correct as far as i am concerned.
Your car is over 3 years old, was purchased outside of the dealer network and you carried out the repair work yourself, so to then expect Honda to reimburse you in some way is at best, rather optimistic.

Had you got Honda to do the work it would have cost you around £38 more, and you might have had a chance of getting some of the cost back, but you quite understandably chose to do the work yourself and save money.

I think it would have been a better idea to contact Honda before the work was done, then you would have known exactly where you stood.
+1

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts

+2

Honda UK are normally quite understanding in situations like this when the cars out of warranty.
But since you did the work yourself, I wouldn't expect them to pay for the replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be fair, It was the chap in the parts department who recommended I contact Honda direct as they would "more than likely" re-imburse me.

I was happy at the price I paid, What annoyed me was that the lady on the phone told me that there was no good will in the transaction.

I bought a Honda regardless of where I purchased the car, so why good will is in question I truly dont understand.

I had full intention of getting the car serviced through the dealer network, But now that thought is questionable.

For what was a 10 minute fix, surely the dealership could of fitted the parts FOC based on the fact that its the Honda reputation they're protecting, seriously £41.50 Inc Vat for each mirror in fitting, that would of meant that the total cost would of been approx £150.

Sorry for ranting on but I only wrote to Honda on the advice of the parts department, I was just taken back by the response received.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts