Good evening all,
I have started another step in my venture to increase the quality of the audio in the car.
I've always wanted to have a go at sealing the car doors, and by sealing I mean isolating the inside volume of the cabin from the inside of the door and hence outside. I didn't want to seal the door from the outside since it leaves the question of where will the water go! Besides, isolating the front of the speaker from the rear is the key objective to drive pressure waves more effectively. Without further ado, here is what I've done:
I decided that I wanted to remove the flappy plastic weather sheet and apply a stiffer material such as aluminium sheet over the resulting holes. So I did just that.
My weather sheet was looking wounded from my previous chop, but that doesn't matter any more.
I purchased some aluminium sheet from eBay for around £12. Just one sheet of 1000 x 500 x 0.5 is what foresaw to be adequate...
I got to work removing the weather shield and got to play with that wonderful black goo that Honda like to use. Thankfully I have plenty of nitrile gloves to prevent it sticking to me. I also found that using a plastic mixing spoon (from the kitchen
) to scrape some of it off was ok.
I used some cardboard to attempt to profile the holes I was about to cover as a template for cutting the aluminium. At only 0.5 mm thick a pair of hardy scissors or tin snips worked a treat cutting through it. I had the wiring and handle/lock cabling to consider so decided to leave a strip gap where necessary; to be covered by damping material to finish the seal. After a tiresome attempt at directly screwing in a self-tapping screw I also decided that I would make some pilot holes with the drill to save time and effort. I found that I didn't need to go crazy with these since the damping material would act as both gluing and sealing around the edges.
The second hole with the window motor was a little more challenging since said motor isn't flush with the inner panel, it comes inwards so the aluminium sheet didn't quite sit flush all round. But not to worry as plenty of silent coat covered that up.
I only just remembered to unscrew the inside door mount screws prior to applying damping material... These were useful for maintaining the sheet without further self-tapping screws though.
I started this door after tea on Tuesday, so around 6. This meant that I did not have much daylight left so I left it as is, around 8. A bit more damping material could be used, covering smaller holes around the door and on the aluminium sheet, but that can wait until I crack on with the other door - giving myself a bit longer too.
An issue I did run into at the end was misalignment of the inside door handle. I need to push the mount onto the damping material a bit more to offer up the screw hole to the door card, but a couple of days without it wont harm me
Verdict on the sound so far: Definite improvement! I suppose it helps that I've only done one side for a comparison's sake as I can play with the balance on the head unit to check. The sealed side has a noticeable increase in mid-bass and bass output, to the point that I've had to decrease my head unit down to +3 from +5 to level off the sound. There is still a crappy head unit driving the speakers but I'm getting better sound each time I play so I must be doing something right! :worms:
Thanks for reading! I'll post an update when I've completed both sides.