2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the reason I ripped out all the boot lining was to add a second boot light and also to fit a hardwire kit for the rear dashcam. I've seen other people install a strip of LED's for extra lighting but I wanted something a little more 'factory' looking so bought an LED footwell light off eBay which was similar in dimension to the standard boot light.

With the boot linings out I marked and cut a hole to fit the new light into, being careful to not cut too much plastic away.

I then had to provide the new light with power so I soldered some wire to each terminal on the original boot light. I also ran a length of wire across the boot which can plug into both lights on either side.

With the boot linings back in place the lights can be connected up like normal by feeding the wiring through the hole and popping the lens back in. The original light has had the bulb swapped for an LED as well so the combined current draw for both is still less than for a single incandescent bulb. Both lights illuminate together perfectly and go off when the boot is closed just as they should.

You can also see the wiring for the dashcam hanging down in the corner recess still waiting to be connected to the cigarette lighter (waiting on a plug to arrive to fit). Also you get nice surprises sometimes when you go digging.

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
Great idea.
For anyone else who doesn't want the effort involved in this I got a replacement light unit from Aurora Bulbs that has 18 led elements and is like daylight in the boot, costs £20.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts