2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
hundreds of thousands of hours from memory
(if you're talking about the Honda fitted ones on your EX?)

basically they should outlast the car!

has yours not?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no they are fine just on my 1999 civic i always find that if i start the car in cold weather within 2 to 3 months the car use bulb least one of them use to fuse.and on my new civic when i set the lights on auto they come on right away when you start the car they flicker so i was just curious .

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
my hids flicker when they first come on too, they dont start at their brightest as they need to warm up, if your lights are pointed at something like a wall you will even notice the lights changing through the colour temperature as they get to full brightness

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
The flicker is caused because the amount of power needed to run your HID's at first is very large and your car needs to power up in order to start them (HID's work by 'igniting' a gas, rather than by causing a filament to glow as it would in a halogen bulb), if you look at your lights under your bonnet you should see two boxes, these are ballast boxes and they work like capacitors (I think), storing power to feed to the HID bulb, this is why your lights flicker, or so I have been told, on startup, because they drain so much power, the ballast can't keep up with the initial drain.

Happened on my last car all the time, and it happens on all others too.

Bulbs are from memory around 40-90 pounds each depending upon type etc. etc.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts